2 Steps Back - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

2 Steps Back

1 Step forwards and 2 steps back.

Well, that's how I feel right now under the circumstances. I was in love with my last car and had her just about where I wanted her but then she began to fall apart beyond the time and money I had to spend. The car had power and decent looks even with the faded paint but she also had a sound system very close to how I had always wanted it. Now I no longer have the car but I still have most of the goodies! I just never wanted a car payment again.

Finding a 1999 with 82,000 was a good deal considering my bad credit and the higher payments most dealerships around here try to make you pay. There's a little bit of damage here and there but nothing major. I'll probably take my time making changes but of course that all depends on the cash flow. After installing the sound system and alarm I'd probably do more of the little things like tint and general maintenance. I don't have any major plans for this car unless I do decide to compete in db drags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2 Steps Back

Welcome to CMF! When you get around to it feel free to post some pics of your new ride.

No payment is a nice feeling for sure. I recall that state of being. In late 2010 I traded my first Gen7 after 2 years of "ownership" (aka payments) for a newer one in a color I had really wanted for some time. Halfway through the loan I lost that car to a flood and found my third Gen7. That was 3 years ago and I have about 2 more years before paying off this one. Had the flood not taken my 2nd one I would be paid off by now. Oh well, life sux sometimes, eh?

Tint.

Get tint!!! It not only looks cool but it makes it just a little harder for miscreants to see inside at night and it's supposed to reduce fading inside the car, but the jury's still out on that one. Did I mention tint?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, DrivenDaily!

I like tint and all and will of course add it but to what degree is the issue. My last car was a cop magnet even without the illegal 20% tint the front doors had for long while.

In Texas only the windshield and front doors have any limitations. Nothing below the AS1 line on the windshield and 35% is the darkest you can go in the front but the rest can be as dark as you may desire. The sunroof and rear side had 2.5% and 5% in the rear window. Maybe I'll try 35% in the front but I'm sure I'll still feel exposed even if I did 2.5% the rest of the way around and I already have a couple boxes of 20% I hadn't used on my last car. I should probably do my dad a favor and fix his tint first but I probably should also keep his legal too. I only use a professional to install the tint in the rear window because I don't have a heat gun of the proper tint for that kind of job.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Slow but steady progress. I've been wanting to post pictures but this site won't let me yet and not when I'm in the middle of running wires and cables. The head unit, amps, subs, and tweeters are installed but now I have to cut metal and plastic to get some woofers into all 4 doors along with upgrading the Big 3.

I did have one and a half wheel center covers fly off partly due to tire damage or rot that had caused a bad vibration I couldn't figure out until it was obvious after a chunk flew off. I did have to drive down county roads that would exasperate the issue so I've been trying to stick to pavement whenever possible and at slower speeds of course. I should hopefully have another used tire before I have to work again or drive over 45 miles to Abilene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.