Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarPlay doesn't work with 2016 Malibu LT?

20K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

As I understand it, you just need to plug in your iPhone (I have a 5S) and CarPlay should load up. It does not. I can barely even play music, as many times MyLink is stuck on indexing...

I thought all 2016s came equipped with CarPlay? Am I doing something wrong?

#2 ·
I have an android, so it may be different but I installed the ap on my phone, plugged it into the USB and then hit Projection on the car screen. I also found that on my Samsung it will only work with the factory phone cord, not the single mini usb.

#3 ·
Mine Works as expected, but I dont have any music on my iPhone. I can use all the other functions without a problem. Without more details, it sounds to me like you might have a lot of music and Mylink is trying to index it all. Have you tried plugging it in and waiting a few minutes to make sure all of the music is indexed before playing music? You might be trying to play music while it's indexing and I'm not sure MyLink has enough resources(memory/power) to do so.
Keep us posted!

Jim

#4 ·
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I have about ~400 songs on my iPhone. I have unplugged and turned MyLink on and off multiple times and I am unable to load Apple's CarPlay. While the music from my phone is playing through MyLink now, it continues to say "Indexing" on the screen as well.

#5 ·
Actually, my CarPlay stopped working about 2-3 months after I bought the car. I have the 2016 Premier and I bought it in Apr 2016. I think my USB port has failed because the front ports don't even charge the phone anymore. I have to charge the phone from the back ports which are not designed to connect to the CarPlay system. If anyone has experienced this or know a solution it would be greatly appreciated. The dealer service department is supposed to be looking into the problem. Thanks....

#11 ·
We're sorry to hear you have also experienced this CarPlay concern in your Malibu, Eric. B. We see that your dealership is looking into this, and we'd be happy to touch base with them to discuss this further. Please private message us your contact information, VIN, mileage and involved dealership if you are interested.

Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#6 ·
Did you ever get this fixed? CarPlay in my Premier was a bust from day one. Still not resolved. Found a workaround: On iPhone, turn off iCloud Music Library, but this limits the functionality for which I'm paying for AppleMusic. Using a 6S. What phone are you using?

#7 ·
This certainly isn't what we hope to hear, msper! To clarify, have you been able to address your CarPlay concerns with our Infotainment Customer Support team? They're a great resource to assist with troubleshooting, and can be reached at (855) 478-7767 between 8:00 am to 10:00 pm EST, Monday through Saturday.

If they're unable to help with your concerns and you need some additional assistance, we'd be more than willing to get in contact with your dealer to look into this matter further. Please feel free to send us a private message with details!

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#8 ·
More info to add:
Trip to the dealer who made sure my GM software was up to date.
Drove the dealer's loaner Malibu, an LT with the 7" Infotainment (as opposed to the 8" with Navigation on my Premier) CarPlay worked perfectly with my phone on the LT loaner.
Then with Apple Sr. Advisor phone support, completely erased and restored my iPhone to default settings, iOS 10.2, with none of my personal account information yet installed on the phone (no Apple ID, no iTunes, etc.). Still does not connect to CarPlay.
Then tried my wife's iPhone 6, with iOS 10.2. Previous to 10.2, her phone worked with CarPlay on my car. Now same behavior as my phone: CarPlay will not connect. The Infotainment display states: "Projection device not connected. To use this feature, connect supported device to USB."

#9 ·
I was having problems with carplay for several months. Intermitant disconnections were driving me crazy. I tried everything that you tried (including erasing and restoring my iPhone), and more. I also had the latest GM software. I took it in to the dealership a second time, and this time they reflashed my GM software. It took about an hour, but it did the trick. No more disconnections. So I would try taking your car back to the dealership and have them reflash (i.e., reinstall) the GM software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.