Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuminated Sill Plate Install

16K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Loaddown 
#1 ·
Hello All, I just received the illuminated sill plate package for the new Malibu, part #84068520.
The package did not come with any instructions, just a note that said the instructions were available in some Service Information system (dealer stuff I guess). I have never ran into this before.
Car is gone for a couple days with the wife so I can't look at things right now, but a wiring harness came with the package. Evidently the sills are not directly plug-and-play.
Anyone have instructions they could send/post? Or done it and able to pass along some hints??

Thanks

#2 ·
I ordered a set also. I had to ask the parts guy at the dealership to print our service information bulletin for me. He did, it was 8 or so pages long with pictures of the procedure. I saw that and decided I'd better let them do the install for me.

According to the instructions, you have to remove original plastic sills, then panels under dash and sides of console to gain access to connection on electrical harness. I imagined broken panels since I had no idea how they are fastened or where.

The Chevy accessories site I ordered from quoted price for sills alone and price for sills AND installation.

At the time I ordered them, difference was $130 more for installation above costs of sills alone, so I talked the service rep to install them for me for $130.

It looked too difficult to me and thought I would probably need special tools to remove panels without damage so I gave up thinking I could do the job. When the original sills were returned to me, they were damaged, their retaining prongs had been broken, forced out of their sockets. So I can imagine what damage I could have done.

They do look great and illuminate only in low light.

#3 ·
Do you have any pics you can share? They sound really nice.

#5 ·
Nice looking. Thanks for the pix. I wish something like that was available for the Gen7. Oh well...

#15 ·
At the Chevy Accessory page. Accessories: Car, SUV, Truck Accessories | Chevrolet

Choose year and model, click on interior accessories. Click on Door Sill Plates - Non-Illuminated.

Picture there is not a picture of the actual Chevrolet logo sill.

But read the description, "Add a stylish accent to the entry area of your vehicle while helping to protect against scratches and scrapes with these Door Sill Plates in Stainless Steel. The front plates feature the Chevrolet logo."

Part number is 23248217, what I ordered and received.

#20 · (Edited)
I got a new set of illuminated sills off ebay for $25 plus $21 shipping. No one else bid on them! Now to get the instruction sheets. Tell them to print out document #4257940 (8 pages). It took them 15 minutes to find it and warned me that if you mess up it could by costly.
It doesn't look like a carefull, methodical person will have a problem. I am only apprehensive about popping all the panels (6, counting the 2 sills) without getting heavy-handed.

#22 · (Edited)
Well, they are in! Forget about the under dash and console panels that the GM instructions claim must be removed. That is probably done by them to jack up the labor charge. Only the two sills, of course, need to be popped. Start at the rear and pop from the outside edge while folding the rubber gasket away from them. Then carefully pull the sill towards the rear to disengage the final connectors in the vertical portion. You will see all the connectors on the replacement sills before you begin so that you can determine where to pry.
You can easily snake the wires behind the carpet behind the console and fold the carpet back from the front of the console on the passenger side to access the junction box (it's all shown in the GM instruction sheet). The whole install took about an hour, including our unnecessary trouble-shooting, because we were working in the daylight and thought the sills were not lighting. You can only see them in an unlit setting because they are intentionally dim. The cutting into the circuit should be done with care, so as not to cut other wires in the loom.
They are beautiful and really add class.:grin:

#24 ·
I like the Malibu sills, the Chevrolet sills in addition are a bit over kill. Maybe replace the chevy ones with the 'bu ones and it would be better in my book. Looks good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
No pictures during install. The description shows it is a straightforward process. Just get the instruction sheet from the dealer and the pictures are there. Just skip all the dash and console panel removal and tuck it under carpet as per my previous post. I will try to attach the pictures of the final look.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.