Malibu 2016 LS "Reduced Power steering Assist" - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Malibu 2016 LS "Reduced Power steering Assist"

New problem that just popped up which I feel will probably be a futile exercise unless the computer saved the info when it showed up on screen, I have noticed a couple of times this message pop up on the LCD screen in the dash (Speed Limit screen) stays for a very short time and goes away, so fast as I haven't been able to read the whole note. I called the dealer and asked if I should bring it in, he said yes as that message should never pop up. Not betting they find anything though. bringing it in Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:36 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Malibu 2016 LS "Reduced Power steering Assist"

I have seen that message twice. I think the message says something about reduced power steering but have no confidence that is the full message as it disappears as soon as I see it. If I am 90% sure I can reproduce it, I take it in. Since I have noticed it twice in 12000 miles, I have zero confidence in ability to reproduce and have never mentioned it to a dealer. Let me/us know the outcome.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campb292 View Post
I have seen that message twice. I think the message says something about reduced power steering but have no confidence that is the full message as it disappears as soon as I see it. If I am 90% sure I can reproduce it, I take it in. Since I have noticed it twice in 12000 miles, I have zero confidence in ability to reproduce and have never mentioned it to a dealer. Let me/us know the outcome.
Yep exactly the same thing I have experienced twice in the last week, and it goes away so quick that I don't get a chance to read the whole thing, I don't believe, maybe its a bug or maybe it really is a problem as I had never noticed it before this week. I will let you know what they tell me but I'm betting its something they are not going to find anything. I'm going to tell them I doubt they will be able to get the message to come up.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:02 PM
CMF Junior Member

Also had it a couple times in the first few throusand miles. Mentioned it to the dealer, it didn't affect anything and I haven't seen it in the past 10,000 miles.

I'd mention it to the dealer but don't let it bother you too much.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
Also had it a couple times in the first few throusand miles. Mentioned it to the dealer, it didn't affect anything and I haven't seen it in the past 10,000 miles.

I'd mention it to the dealer but don't let it bother you too much.
Hmmm, sounds like this might be a bit of a common thing happening here, probably nothing or I would think its something GM knows about by this point. I am dropping it off tomorrow as they told me to bring it in, but I really don't expect anything to come of it unless the system has codes saved that tell them something, I haven't seen it again since calling them. But I will let them hook it up to the system to see if it spits anything out about it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:05 AM
CMF Junior Member

That is weird. I too had the same issue. The other week it was raining for the first time and I saw the message pop up. It went away quicker than I could read it. I was scheduled to bring it in for service the next day anyways for maintenance. I immediately called the dealer and they said to just bring it up at the appointment. 5 minutes later it popped up again. This time I could read it

I told the dealer when I brought it in that I had seen the message. The tech reported that there were no saved codes and that they could not reproduce the issue. I had the message right after 5100 miles or so. I am almost at 6000 and no message again. I will report back when it rains again.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMyk View Post
That is weird. I too had the same issue. The other week it was raining for the first time and I saw the message pop up. It went away quicker than I could read it. I was scheduled to bring it in for service the next day anyways for maintenance. I immediately called the dealer and they said to just bring it up at the appointment. 5 minutes later it popped up again. This time I could read it

I told the dealer when I brought it in that I had seen the message. The tech reported that there were no saved codes and that they could not reproduce the issue. I had the message right after 5100 miles or so. I am almost at 6000 and no message again. I will report back when it rains again.
Well that's disappointing that there were no codes, that is what I was hoping for as I know reproducing it is going to be a no go, I just dropped it off this morning and expect the same response back from the dealer, I don't think it was wet out when it happened for me. I just went over 5700 miles and now that we have 3 that have seen the message it appears to be something that is commonly happening with these Malibu's. probably wont get into the GM system for a while but I bet it shows up as a recall in the future.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealSlickWilly View Post
Well that's disappointing that there were no codes, that is what I was hoping for as I know reproducing it is going to be a no go, I just dropped it off this morning and expect the same response back from the dealer, I don't think it was wet out when it happened for me. I just went over 5700 miles and now that we have 3 that have seen the message it appears to be something that is commonly happening with these Malibu's. probably wont get into the GM system for a while but I bet it shows up as a recall in the future.
Just keep in mind my codes never returned in over 10,000 miles now (I now have around 14K on the carI bought in February) so I don't really consider it as something I need to worry about anymore and don't ever expect a recall to be called on it.

The dealer never found a code, nor did steering ever suffer, in my car, and I do not believe weather was a factor with mine but I will add every time I saw it was during the winter so there was moisture. I had the same thing as everyone else: a couple times I swear I saw a message but I couldn't read as it was so quick then I happened to be looking at the cluster and saw it and was able to read it.

Not sure if that helps but I guess I would say I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The RealSlickWilly likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Well I have good news surprisingly, GM knows about the issue and have already come up with a software update for it, I wouldn't make a special trip in for it, as it is stated as a software anomaly which they have corrected with an update. They installed the update and I'm guessing that I wont see it again unless there really is a problem. I would just say something to the dealer the next time your in to get it updated. He did say he did get a code out of my car from it as well.
miweber929, campb292 and ctrider like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:18 PM
CMF Senior Member

Well slap me around with a wet tuna. Didn't expect that. I will mention next time I am in. Did you have a reference number on your paperwork for that?
AMJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.