Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What color to get??

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Chevgirl 
#1 ·
So I'm new to this forum. I currently drive a Cruze and I'm upgrading to a Malibu premiere... I just don't know what color to get it in... I'm torn between the pearl tri-coat or the black??? Please guys help a girl out! Any suggestions would be amazing! TIA!

#2 ·
Get what you like best, not what people on the internet that you have never met pick for you.

Having said that, black will be harder to care for, it shows more scratches and dirt but damn it looks beautiful when clean. The pearl tricoat is very nice as well.
We had a white diamond 13 Malibu before this black 15 Impala and I love both colors. If I had to choose I'd probably go with black, more work but pops more when taken care of.

#3 · (Edited)
I had a 2009 in BGM - black granite metallic. I didn't do anything special to take care of it. I ran it through the drive-through car washes with the "touchy" scrubbers, not the touchless, which doesn't clean all of the dirt and film off.

I owned it 2 years and put 20K miles on it. The only special thing I did to it was what I learned from this website: I cleaned the paint using a clay bar, then scratch remover, then swirl remover, and finally wax. I did all of it by hand and it took me (a noob) a couple of days to do it. When I was at work a manager saw the car and about dropped his jaw on how smooth and perfect the paint looked! And I continued driving it through the "touchy" car washes after that.

Later that year I traded it in on a 2011 in RJT - red jewel tintcoat. What I learned with the '09 was that I needed a cheap random-orbit buffer to make my job easier, and it did! I owned that car 3 years and performed the same treatment 2 times. The second one was on Memorial Day weekend, resulting in what I'm using as my sig-pic at this time.

Other than performing that treatment, either yourself of having it done for you, I haven't found the dark colors to be especially hard to keep looking good.

Once when I owned the '09, my sister and I were driving by a dealer in a city way out of town and I saw a pearl tri-coat sitting on the lot. I really like that color, too.

What I'd really like is to have a car with a forest green interior, maybe with some tree-bark brown as a second main color and a camo theme on the trim. I've been in one car that had the dark green interior and I fell in love with it immediately when I got in to move it from the service drive to the parking lot. I worked at a Ford dealership at the time and have never seen another interior that color.

+1 on what @nutcrunch says on other people's opinions. Find the color that really moves you and choose it. The only real complaint I had with my '09 BGM was that it was all black, inside and out. On a lot of the Gen7 models the inside was available in a two-tone scheme but mine was black on black. It was okay but didn't have any color other than the thin gloomy gray trim pieces, which I was not fond of. (It was a dealer-trade and I never saw it until it was dark out, and only after signing the papers. My first-ever new car.)

Attachments

#4 ·
I will agree with the guys above that nothing looks better than a black vehicle when it's clean, shined and well taken care of; conversely if you are missing any of the things I mention it looks like hell. I also had an '11 Malibu in BGM which looked incredible when clean but was a PITA to keep it that way so I decided for this one, my '16 2LT, I wanted something a little lighter, so it's Nightfall Grey Metallic which I love.

We were offered a 2LT in the pearl tri-coat but my wife hated that color, so I searched until I found the right one we both agreed on. The tri looked cool but wasn't a "keeper" color in our minds. To each their own, however; don't let a bunch of Internet dwellers decide for ya.

#5 ·
Decide on the color in person. When I picked out my car I thought I was between Imperial Blue and Black Granite, but when I saw the colors in real life, I was floored by Red Jewel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.