Planing on buying 2011 LTZ tomorrow morning - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Planing on buying 2011 LTZ tomorrow morning

found a guy selling one locally still have 7 month left on powertrain warranty. 37,500 miles its the V6. We agreed at 13,500... I checked edmunds, kbb, and nada and it seems to be a very fair price. I'm excited I just wanted to see what ya'll though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Planing on buying 2011 LTZ tomorrow morning

Has it been through a flood or accident? Otherwise, check with a dealer to see if there are any open recalls on it, and if it qualifies. If it's a branded title then GM will not do any recalls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Has it been through a flood or accident? Otherwise, check with a dealer to see if there are any open recalls on it, and if it qualifies. If it's a branded title then GM will not do any recalls.
I'm meeting him at the dealership where all service has been performed to get there blessing so to speak. I am not sure what you mean by branded title forgive my ignorance. I am fairly certain no flood/accident. I suppose I should buy a vin check to make sure. Anything else to look out for? thank you for the very prompt response.

edit: i remembered how to google

No I don't believe there is any issue like that all all. the guy is just selling it because hes 6'4 and has had his hip replaced a few times and getting in and out is killing him.

Would it be in my best interest to purchase the VIN history? thank you again

Double edit: VIN came back clean. He's the original owner bought it with 12 miles. Ill update the thread with pics as long as no one says I'm stupid over night.

Last edited by r3005418; 03-04-2015 at 09:28 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 PM
CMF Senior Member

2011 LTZ hopefully be a great purchase, good luck!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3005418 View Post
I'm meeting him at the dealership where all service has been performed to get there blessing so to speak. I am not sure what you mean by branded title forgive my ignorance. I am fairly certain no flood/accident. I suppose I should buy a vin check to make sure. Anything else to look out for? thank you for the very prompt response.

edit: i remembered how to google

No I don't believe there is any issue like that all all. the guy is just selling it because hes 6'4 and has had his hip replaced a few times and getting in and out is killing him.

Would it be in my best interest to purchase the VIN history? thank you again

Double edit: VIN came back clean. He's the original owner bought it with 12 miles. Ill update the thread with pics as long as no one says I'm stupid over night.
Stupid over night, eh? I make my best mistakes after the sun goes down! Good to see you're a proactive poster, finding information for yourself pretty quickly when you can.

Congrats on the car--assuming you bought it--and welcome to the forum!

Since you'll have the 3.6L V6, there are a few pointers to follow that'll keep it happy and kicking ass:

1. Use synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or anything Dexos 1 approved. Keep an eye on your oil level and top off when necessary. The way the engine is designed, it's not good to get several quarts low. This is the root cause of the timing chains issue you may read about.

2. Perform oil changes by 6,000 miles. (I personally shoot for 5,000.)

3. Use top tier gas (BP/Shell/Exxon) and don't fill with 87 octane. Manual recommends 89 for best performance, but it ought to be required.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 PM
CMF Veteran Member

The 3.6 is really the only way to go with this car, love my 08 LTZ, the v6 has plenty of power, as was stated earlier go synthetic, i'm also a 5k oil changer and run 89 in my tank
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:28 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
Stupid over night, eh? I make my best mistakes after the sun goes down! Good to see you're a proactive poster, finding information for yourself pretty quickly when you can.

Congrats on the car--assuming you bought it--and welcome to the forum!

Since you'll have the 3.6L V6, there are a few pointers to follow that'll keep it happy and kicking ass:

1. Use synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or anything Dexos 1 approved. Keep an eye on your oil level and top off when necessary. The way the engine is designed, it's not good to get several quarts low. This is the root cause of the timing chains issue you may read about.

2. Perform oil changes by 6,000 miles. (I personally shoot for 5,000.)

3. Use top tier gas (BP/Shell/Exxon) and don't fill with 87 octane. Manual recommends 89 for best performance, but it ought to be required.
Wish I could have seen your post sooner... I filled with 87 in my 3.6L V6 since day one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houyh View Post
Wish I could have seen your post sooner... I filled with 87 in my 3.6L V6 since day one.
When the 3.6L engine was exclusive to Cadillac, the manual required premium. It was a different tune, but you still have a high-output engine that's been dumbed down to accept regular. It's definitely happier, smoother, and more powerful on better gas, I wouldn't be surprised if you were pinging every once in a while on 87.

The difference might not be immediate, because the computer advances timing for higher octane slower than it pulls back for cheap stuff.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 02:04 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
When the 3.6L engine was exclusive to Cadillac, the manual required premium. It was a different tune, but you still have a high-output engine that's been dumbed down to accept regular. It's definitely happier, smoother, and more powerful on better gas, I wouldn't be surprised if you were pinging every once in a while on 87.

The difference might not be immediate, because the computer advances timing for higher octane slower than it pulls back for cheap stuff.
Thanks for the insight.

Yesterday I went ahead and filled up with 93 from Costco (I know this might be overkill, but I wanted to "dilute" the leftover 87 in the tank). There is definitely a noticeable difference. The Malibu now feels less heavy and more powerful, and the throttle response seems more consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.