Auto Stop 2016 Malibu LS - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Auto Stop 2016 Malibu LS

OK, I have a question about this feature and wondering if it is working correctly, Anyone with first hand knowledge on this? There isn't much out there on it other then an article for a 2014 Malibu and who knows if it would act the same as a 2016 Malibu. Talking about the new body style 2016. So I just started noticing today that I stop at a red light and firmly keep foot on the brake and I would say probably within 30 seconds the engine is turning back on without me pulling my foot off the brake. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it to me, reading about the 2014 the engine should not shutoff unless there is at least 2 mins. of power to have the engine remain off. But is it even the same type of system with an Auxiliary battery? Just asking because I didn't notice this behavior in the first few weeks. I'm thinking maybe the system feels the battery needs to be charging, but then why turn off in the first place? Just curious if anyone here thinks its normal or should I bring it in. Also wanted to state I am not changing the electrical load while it is off either, running heater and radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
I've read that cabin temperature also plays a part. If the interior temp drops below a certain desired point it will restart to hear the cabin.

Mine doesn't seem to restart on its own but then again I'm not usually stopped for very long either.

It never hurts to take it in to see what the dealer thinks.
rodgerbruce likes this.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 PM
C P
CMF Rookie Member

Re: Auto Stop 2016 Malibu LS

I can't seem to figure out the rhyme and reason of how it works. It seems like sometimes it goes into auto stop all the time and minutes later I will be at a light for a while and it will stay at idle.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

2016 Malibu 1LT

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I can't seem to figure out the rhyme and reason of how it works. It seems like sometimes it goes into auto stop all the time and minutes later I will be at a light for a while and it will stay at idle.

I will keep an eye on this thread.
Yea, that's how mine works as well while out driving, that seems like normal behavior, doesn't make sense to me either that it will turn off sometimes and other times it wont, I figure its not charged enough so it doesn't shut off. But the Auto Start after I would say less then 30 seconds while my foot is on the brake seems odd to me. I tested it a few times yesterday and sure enough it turned itself back on without me taking my foot off the brake. I would understand it if it was a really long stop but 30 seconds isn't long enough as you can sit at lights longer then that. Could be a charge thing as well but then why turn off in the first place.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM
CMF Junior Member

I feel like it has something to do with accessories being used, the HVAC system running, etc. It would make sense that the engine might need to run to keep the battery from dying, etc...I was with a friend test driving and the start/stop stopped at lights a lot more when we turned the HVAC off, vs. when we drove with it on full blast. Could have just been coincidence though.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
It's not a coincidence. Hvac does affect start stop. Also, if engine isn't to operating temperature it won't shut off either. There's lots of variables that have to be right for it to auto stop.
D.B. Cooper and spacedout like this.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:18 AM
CMF Senior Member

while i dont have a 2016 i have a 8 gen.. my saleman and i were talking a few weeks ago and i asked him about that feature and she said its one of the most complained about features. and that most people dont know how it works or dont read their owners booklet.. he said saying the same thing as above... heat & a/c play a MAJOR role in how it works and when it works..
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:58 AM
CMF Junior Member

Also note when the air conditioner is on that the color of the light on the button changes the way auto stop works. If it is orange it will be less aggressive in turning off engine and will start up quicker. This is for really hot areas like Phoenix. If the light is green than it will shut off more and stay off longer. You can push the AC button to change.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:28 PM
CMF Junior Member

I believe that orange light is for automatic and green is a/c on.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_636 View Post
I believe that orange light is for automatic and green is a/c on.
Orange is standard AC MAX on and green is ecco AC mode. The reason I know this is either I'm pushing the button by accident or its turning on by itself. I believe I must be pushing it myself when turning the knob but just another thing I have to pay attention too. I wonder because the rear defrost seems to turn on by itself and I'm thinking its based on temperature. not sure though. Ha. Maybe my car has ghosts!

Edit:OK just read the manual, yes Auto Defog is an option but I dont see anything for Auto AC. so I will have to pay attention to if I'm hitting the button and not realizing it.

Last edited by The RealSlickWilly; 02-22-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.