Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8 - Page 11 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8

If you're hearing this sound when auto stop Is engaged, the only fluid moving is the transmissions cooling pump keeping the transmission cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:22 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the insight!
post #103 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMyk View Post
If you're hearing this sound when auto stop Is engaged, the only fluid moving is the transmissions cooling pump keeping the transmission cool
Not to hijack this thread too far but the only time I hear the "waterfall" is when the heater temp is turned to "hot" and auto-stop has stopped the motor. Makes more sense that its the coolant because the water pump stops with the engine and the coolant will settle until the engine starts and the water pump starts pumping. If the heater temp is on "Cold" I don't hear the "Waterfall". Most likely air in the system as others have pointed out.

Jim
campb292 likes this.
post #104 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 01:36 PM
CMF Junior Member

Two thoughts on this issue:

1) Shame on them in the first place for intentionally hobbling these cars with a 13 gallon tank. WTH? I've ordered a Malibu Hybrid to replace my current "highway car", which has a 14.5 gallon tank and reliably goes well over 700 miles on a tank. This is an invaluable characteristic in a car used mainly for road trips. The Malibu is a nicer, more comfortable car than the one it's replacing, so the only thing that will be holding it back will be that silly 13 gallon tank. I guess there's just no such thing as the perfect car, even for this one specialized purpose...

2) If GM is going to insist that 2 gallons of fuel must remain in the tank for pump cooling (or whatever) purposes, then they should not be counting that fuel as part of the usable capacity when they specify the size of the tank. Frankly, I don't believe running the tank completely out of fuel once or twice in the car's lifetime (typical occurrences) would appreciably shorten the pump's existence anyway, unlike the HPFP in my Diesel...which needs constant lubrication with its unbelievably tight clearances. In any gas vehicle when the engine is running, and it then runs out of fuel (stops running), power to the fuel pump is cut automatically. The fuel pump will only have been sputtering at part load for a matter of a few seconds...probably not enough time for it to incur any damage, let alone overheat. So, if my Malibu exhibits this type of behavior when I get it, I'll probably put a 1 gallon can of fuel in the trunk and then run it all the way out...once...just so I'll know the tank's true capacity...because having that accurate knowledge can be an actual safety issue.
SirNick likes this.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 11-20-2016 at 02:24 PM.
post #105 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:08 AM
CMF Junior Member

I just filled the tank in my '17 Volt for the first time (I've only had it eight months). GM says the tank holds 8.9 gallons. The "low fuel" warning came on at one bar left on the fuel gauge (~one gallon remaining). I drove an additional 25 miles before filling the tank...so, about 1/2 gallon left. I used the Malibu-recommended fill procedure (3 click/wait 5sec, etc.) and got 8.5 gallons in it. Seems they were fairly close on the capacity, though the only way to know for sure would be to run it completely out.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
post #106 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:52 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I feel like I'm also getting the low capacity. My guage will read full, but will drop off the full line within 10 - 20 miles. This morning getting gas, the low fuel indicator was on, and range was 40 miles. I put in 12.88 gallons. OnStar app shows approx. 13 gallons (84%). I should have a 15.8 gallon tank. 3 gallons does not equal 40 miles. As others have posted, if the car has a 2 gallon reserve requirement, the tank capacity should probably be advertized as usable capacity, as only getting 300 - 350 miles out of a tank of gas i pretty disappointing.

In my case, it's made even worse since the Malibu is replacing a VW TDI, which got me 500 - 600 miles out of a tank with no worries. I feel like I'm getting gas every day lol
post #107 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliPino View Post
I feel like I'm also getting the low capacity. My guage will read full, but will drop off the full line within 10 - 20 miles. This morning getting gas, the low fuel indicator was on, and range was 40 miles. I put in 12.88 gallons. OnStar app shows approx. 13 gallons (84%). I should have a 15.8 gallon tank. 3 gallons does not equal 40 miles. As others have posted, if the car has a 2 gallon reserve requirement, the tank capacity should probably be advertized as usable capacity, as only getting 300 - 350 miles out of a tank of gas i pretty disappointing.

In my case, it's made even worse since the Malibu is replacing a VW TDI, which got me 500 - 600 miles out of a tank with no worries. I feel like I'm getting gas every day lol
I just got the OK from VW to go ahead and make the appointment for us to turn in our much-beloved '11 Golf TDI. The whole debacle has made us sick because there is nothing out there that will do the 700+ mile tanks we were getting from our "trip car". We did settle on a Malibu Hybrid as a replacement since we love our new Volt so much, but it's not going to have the range (or the accessible storage space) of the VW.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
post #108 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:09 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
I just got the OK from VW to go ahead and make the appointment for us to turn in our much-beloved '11 Golf TDI. The whole debacle has made us sick because there is nothing out there that will do the 700+ mile tanks we were getting from our "trip car". We did settle on a Malibu Hybrid as a replacement since we love our new Volt so much, but it's not going to have the range (or the accessible storage space) of the VW.
Congrats on getting your buyback process going. I'm still languishing in paperwork limbo, and the VW is wasting space in the driveway.

It's been quite an adjustment going from a Manual Transmission 45MPG wagon to the Malibu. But it's got a lot of nice Tech features for the price, and you can't beat the rear seat space for my 2 boys (8 and 6)
AMJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #109 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:15 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliPino View Post
...the VW is wasting space in the driveway...
If by this you mean that you haven't been driving the VW, your instincts are correct. Periodically during the online "paperwork" process, they've inquired about the current mileage on my Golf. I put about 200 miles on it between two of those inquiries, and they dropped their offer for my car by about $250! WTH?!? I could have rented a car for less than they're penalizing me for driving my own car. I still have great respect for VW's engineers and assemblers, but the rest of the company isn't worth a s#*t. After I turn in my car tomorrow (the 21st) I'm done with them. The morons probably had me for life, and they've just blown it.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
post #110 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM
CMF Junior Member

Sorry about the off-topic rant. Going back to fuel tank capacity, I performed my first fill on my Hybrid today. The car said 68 miles remaining, while the gauge showed a needle's-width less than 1/8th of a tank. I locked the nozzle on the slowest notch, and it clicked off at 11.4 gallons. Then I waited about 10 seconds before resetting it on the slowest notch again. It clicked off at 11.6 gallons. I repeated twice more, and each time it added 0.2 gallons. After the third reset, I stopped at 12.0 gallons. That really seems like a reasonable ball park amount. Assuming that the dealer's initial delivery fill stopped after the first shutoff, my first tank returned just over 41mpg. Not bad, considering the car sits outside in the temperatures we've had around these parts during the whole tank...and the fact that, at said delivery, we spent a good 45 minutes idling the car while trying to stay warm and get the obligatory initial OnStar call over with. In the same type of use and conditions, I can't imagine that my dear departed Golf TDI would have done any better...and the Hybrid's fuel is cheaper in the bargain.
AMJ likes this.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.