Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8 - Page 12 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:31 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Re: Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8

After the pump clicks off I wouldn't try squeezing anymore into it. I've seen quite a few people on other forums have trouble with charcoal canisters and other emissions parts because of it. There is supposed to be enough room in the tank for vapors and by adding too much fuel you are possibly introducing fuel into the parts that should only be dealing with vapor.
I used to do the old top off after the clicking off and never had any problems but really what's the use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Impala 2LT
V6 305hp/264tq
Conv PKG
Adv Safety PKG
Sunroof
50/35 Suntek CXP tint

RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
May 2012-Aug 2015

Last edited by nutcrunch; 01-06-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:25 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
Sorry about the off-topic rant. Going back to fuel tank capacity, I performed my first fill on my Hybrid today. The car said 68 miles remaining, while the gauge showed a needle's-width less than 1/8th of a tank. I locked the nozzle on the slowest notch, and it clicked off at 11.4 gallons. Then I waited about 10 seconds before resetting it on the slowest notch again. It clicked off at 11.6 gallons. I repeated twice more, and each time it added 0.2 gallons. After the third reset, I stopped at 12.0 gallons. That really seems like a reasonable ball park amount. Assuming that the dealer's initial delivery fill stopped after the first shutoff, my first tank returned just over 41mpg. Not bad, considering the car sits outside in the temperatures we've had around these parts during the whole tank...and the fact that, at said delivery, we spent a good 45 minutes idling the car while trying to stay warm and get the obligatory initial OnStar call over with. In the same type of use and conditions, I can't imagine that my dear departed Golf TDI would have done any better...and the Hybrid's fuel is cheaper in the bargain.
At the first fill-up a few months ago, mine took 52.2 L (13.8 gal US); there were 2 click-offs in total with a few seconds in between to allow it to settle. The low fuel indicator came on while sitting in the line at the CostCo filling station (level ground), and the fuel gauge was a hair above the empty mark. It hasn't been allowed to get this low at subsequent fill-ups (each around 12 gal US), which have occurred roughly about the 1/4 mark on the gauge. So far, total fuel range estimates have varied from 550-625 miles depending on the driver. I suspect my Hybrid has a fuel capacity of 59.8 L (15.8 gal US) instead of 49.2 L as noted in the manual. Lifetime economy is reported as 5.7 L / 100 km (just over 41 MPG US) which is surprisingly good given the high percentage of short trips in cold weather. After a cold start, it averages just under 20 MPG US over the first mile! It's easy to exceed the EPA figures once it's reached operating temperature.
post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM
CMF Rookie Member

So I was having the same problem when I got my 17 Malibu. I took it in and they claimed it was a software issue with the cluster panel. I have only filled up once since the issue was corrected. Still only getting about 315 miles on a full 13 gallon tank with premium fuel.

post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:00 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I usually fill up at the same station...usually at the same pump. If I stop filling when the pump clicks off, my gauge reads just below the full mark. However, I can squeeze in another .8 gallons by topping it off. Topping off will read just above the full mark. I haven't compared the fuel range indicator or crunched any numbers...just an observation.
post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg54321 View Post
Hey again everybody!

I apologize for the multiple threads, but I've just been having so many issues with my Malibu, and I wanted to keep the issues organized separately. I own a 2016 1.5L Chevy Malibu 1LT, and have been having issues filling up the tank at the gas station.

Despite stating that the Malibu 1LT has a 13 gallon tank, my On Star app has been telling me that the tank only fills up to 11.5 gallons (90%) and stops when I go to fill it up at the pump. This has happened every fill-up since I bought the car, and has been occurring at multiple locations and brands of gasoline stations.

The gas gauge also only showed 7/8 of a tank at the fill-up and caused me some alarm. I took the car to the dealership. It is supposedly a known issue. They re-programmed something in the car, and it seems to have changed my issue.

While the tank still only fills up to 11.5 gallons (according to my app and my math calculations of my miles per full tank), the gauge now does show that the tank goes to full.

However; 11.5 gallons is not 13 gallons and I was wondering if anybody has been experiencing the same issue? I would think it would at least go past 12 gallons if anything before stopping.

Any feedback or experience would be greatly welcomed! Thanks!
I have the exact same problem with my 2017 Chevy Malibu
post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:36 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

GM is still aware of this issue and working on a solution. I remain in contact with GM directly and they have experimented some on mine. I would refrain from having your dealer take any steps since I know there is no official fix yet. Anything you might get done at this point is a guess/experiment or concealing patch and would result in unnecessary modification or disassembly. It is annoying but not a vehicle driveability issue so just be patient. Once there is finally something official I will poke around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.