Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8 - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8

It's true you shouldn't drive a car until there is less than 1 gallon of gas left. Not for sediments, but because the gas can literally slosh free of the fuel pump while it's trying to pull gas, and that's a great way to find yourself in need of a new one before long. Plus, you're trusting a computer to read 1/3 of a gallon of gas consistently as it splashes around, you could easily find yourself stranded.

The "sediments" argument is highly dubious. The gas tank is constantly stirred up while you're driving. How would sediments remain stationary until the magical final gallon? It defies any rational thought. Think of it like a snow globe, it's clear sitting on the shelf, but put it in your pocket as you go for a jog and see what it looks like after a mile or two. That's like your car constantly accelerating, stopping, and making turns.

Since buying my car, I've always filled up ASAP after the low fuel indicator comes on. I do that knowing I still have two gallons feeding the car, so no fuel pump wear and tear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Oh well...I'm done hijacking this thread
It's threads like this one that make me want to keep my '13 for a long time! I consider it an added luxury to drive 548 miles non-stop, do errands for the parents over a weekend; fill up, drive home, drive to the commuter lot all week, and fill up the following weekend.

Guess I will be on the lookout for an old "low mileage" 18.5 tanker '15 BU from CARMAX in 2019...

2013 Silver Bu
R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
Family members drive Equinox, Ford and Chrysler's

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 06-08-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Chevy Representatives

Hello jkg54321 and 16LT,

We're very sorry to hear you've experienced this concern with the fuel tank in your 2016 Malibu. We'd be happy to review anything further on our end and follow up with your preferred dealer for additional research on your behalf. Please feel free to send us a private message if this is something of interest. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available Monday-Sunday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit

post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 PM
CMF Junior Member

I really doubt there's anything wrong at all. The On Star fuel data seems to be accurate to within 1/2 gallon. And the gas pump will stop well before the tank is full. My '16 Malibu fills up to 12.5 gallons and I'm happy with that.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:09 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I find it very annoying to have such a small tank. A few times however, I was actually able to squeeze in 14.5 gallons. Yes 14. it was painfully slow to say the least with a "smooth" gas pump..but somehow I squeezed over 14 gallons in there. I think the way the filler neck is designed, makes the pump stop at around 10 or so..but you can slowly squeeze in a couple more, depending on the pump you're using.
That was really bad decision from Chevy on an otherwise great car.
post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:40 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

It's not a real good idea to squeeze in more gas after the pump clicks itself off. I have done it in the past on older cars with no problems but I don't do it anymore after reading about others having problems from it with the emissions equipment.
Page 270 in the owners manual specifically tells you not to do this.

Quote:
Overfilling the fuel tank by more than three clicks of a standard fill nozzle may cause:
. Vehicle performance issues, including engine stalling and damage to the fuel system.
. Fuel spills.
. Potential fuel fires.

2015 Impala 2LT
V6 305hp/264tq
Conv PKG
Adv Safety PKG
Sunroof
50/35 Suntek CXP tint

RIP

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
May 2012-Aug 2015

post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I own a 2016 1.5L Chevy Malibu 1LT as well and have also been experiencing the exact same fuel issue at every fill up. On each fill up, my new Malibu will take 10.5 to 11.0 gallons only. On occasion, I can obtain 1 more gallon if i pump so slow that I am at the pump for 20 mins. Same problem regardless of gas station. I also took the car to my dealership and while they were not aware of the problem they did inform me that GM engineering was aware and had not determined a working solution. However; 11 gallons is surely not 13 gallons and I was wondering if anyone has had success with their dealership on this one?

Also my digital miles to empty (actual #) seems to work somewhat correctly. However, the color coded blue gas pump display above my steering wheel never changes. Is the blue coloring supposed to adjust size with my gas usage? Dealer was not sure.
post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 AM
CMF Senior Member

Mine does the same thing, but I don't really care. I put the nozzle back in the pump after the first click and drive away. Consistently filling so the mileage is accurate is more important to me.

post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 02:07 PM
CMF Junior Member

No luck with my dealer today.
Not sure if they cared enough to even look at the issue closely. Said no recall or TSB issued.
Will take GM up on their offer in this thread for next visit.
Seems like electronic glitch makes these fuel tanks even smaller than they really are.
With long commute and not so good fuel economy for such a small engine, have to gas up every 3 days.
post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 03:04 PM
CMF Junior Member

What am I missing? Unless you drive the car until it's completely empty and it literally stops you will never put every gallon of gas the car can hold into it. And the car should never tell you when you have literally zero gas for the reasons stated above (dry running the fuel pump). Which to me would be why the app states what it does so you always have some gas in the car.

If your gas gauge is off I get that (couple people reported that) but that doesn't seem to be the case with some of these questions so his thread still going baffles me. Must be missing something, seems normal to me.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.