Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8 - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 04:04 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8

My gauge never shows full, but I bet it's just not calibrated right; I bet the tank is full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 PM
CMF Junior Member

It's not only gauge that's incorrect.
System calculates miles to empty based on 11 or 11.5 gallons instead of 13.
So if I fill up the tank it shows for example 330 miles to empty instead of close to 400 based on 30 miles per gallon fuel economy.
Most of the time I calculate it manually when tank is filled ( as I mentioned before, I was never able to put more than 10.5 gallons even with few miles left to empty ) and it clearly shows miles to empty per incorrect fuel gauge instead of real gallons in fuel tank.
Yes, otherwise I could really care less if I see full tank or 7/8th
Again with long commute it does make a difference how often you stop and waste your time at the gas stations.
I suppose I could just keep driving and record total milage until car runs out of gas, but not sure if I want to do that.
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:55 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16LT View Post
It's not only gauge that's incorrect.
System calculates miles to empty based on 11 or 11.5 gallons instead of 13.
So if I fill up the tank it shows for example 330 miles to empty instead of close to 400 based on 30 miles per gallon fuel economy.
Most of the time I calculate it manually when tank is filled ( as I mentioned before, I was never able to put more than 10.5 gallons even with few miles left to empty ) and it clearly shows miles to empty per incorrect fuel gauge instead of real gallons in fuel tank.
Yes, otherwise I could really care less if I see full tank or 7/8th
Again with long commute it does make a difference how often you stop and waste your time at the gas stations.
I suppose I could just keep driving and record total milage until car runs out of gas, but not sure if I want to do that.
But that's what I'm saying: in essence there is no difference, it's just that in your mind you have more gas available to you than your car is telling you. If you put in 11 gallons and it bases its miles to empty on the 11 you put in then there is no issue, you have a couple extra gallons that your car is keeping in reserve. That's not really a GM or dealer issue, then.

Is your fuel guage not showing full after you fill up? That would be a calibration thing then and I get that. But if it "holds" 2.5 gallons in "reserve" it doesn't want to tell you about I get that too. As stated driving until empty is a bad thing.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just hoping to give you another view at it. Unless you run it dry you'll never know for sure and are simply guessing it's off. My guess is you'll find completely empty it's 13.5 gallons but the gauge will be far below empty at that point.

Last edited by miweber929; 07-22-2016 at 06:19 AM.

post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM
CMF Junior Member

I see your point and some people could care less, if they can do 50 or 80 more miles per fill up.
My point is exact opposite - I want to get as far as I can on fuel tank ( without running out of gas of course ), and hidden 1.5 or 2 gallons in tank are useless.
Can't risk every time when low fuel light comes on hope I still have more gas vs on board display.
I mean we are in 21st century and that stuff should work properly as it has been around for more than 30 - 40 years.
SirNick likes this.
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Garage

If I were to sell you a car and tell you that it had a gas tank capable of 15 gallons and every time you filled up it took 15.0 or fewer gallons, you would probably think that you were running it dry or close to it. But what if I knew that it held another 5 gallons to ensure the fuel pump was always bathed in cooling fluid? That means that it's actually a 20-gallon tank, but only 15 can be used safely.

I think the same thing applies here. You bought a car with a tank that says "X" number of gallons (like the 20-gallon tank above), but you keep filling it with only 11 gallons (more or less), which means that about 2 or 3 gallons is kept from appearing on the fuel gauge, yet it's still in the tank. It's acting to preserve the fuel pump from an early grave, and you from an early and expensive repair. Just because it can hold more than you pump into it doesn't mean you can run it dry and expect to keep driving without a failure.

In my old 20-gallon aquarium, some of the volume was consumed by rocks and filter media. The rest was water and I'll wager that it was less than 17 gallons. I never filled it to the top, and never used it without rocks and filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:30 PM
CMF Junior Member

Just filled up my 2LT with the 2.0T until it clicked then rounded to the next $0.05. App says I have a full tank with 15.0 gallons in it; pretty sure I read the 2.0's got a 16.5 gallon tank.

Seems to me GM is trying to do this on purpose.

Last edited by miweber929; 07-22-2016 at 05:26 PM.
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 04:20 PM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
pretty sure I read the 2.0's got a 16.5 gallon tank.
The snazzy 2.0L is specified to have a 15.8 gal tank.

I had already commented on this back on page 1, but seeing it resurface I had been waiting to run to the low fuel light. I just I pumped 11.1 gal in my 1.5L a few miles after the low fuel alert. The app reported 12.8 gal and DIC reported a range of 416 miles. I didn't do any pumping after the first click.

While I see nothing wrong on my end, I will never pass on the chance to furrow my brow at the pitiful but manageable tank size in these 2016 Malibus.
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 06:01 PM
CMF Senior Member

It's all about weight reduction, I would guess. The manufacturers are all under pressure to get mpg's up. Look at how light the hood is, and the rear lower control arms have holes in them. We have all read about it being close to the Cruze's weight. If the car holds 20 gallons of fuel, that will surely affect weight/mpg ratings.

Personally I don't mind. I do a lot of traveling and I've averaged 40mpg over the 1st 5600 miles. If I need to stop a few more times back and forth to work, I don't mind if I'm going to save in the long run.

post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:50 PM
CMF Senior Member

This happens to me also, I have only filled up twice since buying the car.

The gauge reads full inside the vehicle, however, the onstar app only reads 90% 7/8........

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 AM
CMF Senior Member

My gauge has actually gotten better. I'm at 8500 miles. I just noticed that it shows full on the dash last night. I'm wondering if the sending unit just needed to be loosened up a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.