Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 Chevy Malibu 1LT cylinder misfire

68K views 74 replies 25 participants last post by  rodgerbruce 
#1 ·
Hello I am posting to get feedback this is not my first time on this forum had to create a new account. Anyways I was wondering if any of you fellow Malibu owners can help me out. This morning I woke up and started my car and I let it sit before I drove off but I felt like a stutter and the Rpms would go up and down near in the 1 spot. I took it to my nearest auto parts store. I got a code of p0301 seems to be a cylinder 1 misfire any suggestions what it may be?

#2 ·
It's under warranty? Take it in. Computerized cars can have so many issues that aren't even related to an actual part.

#4 ·
If you have a dealer wanting a diagnostic fee for evaluation of a potential warranty issue that is not a good sign of what is to come. That's nonsense.

As for the stabilitrack light, there is a TSB for that so they will know what to do.

#5 ·
Yea I know what u mean they have been good to me I he says it's a upfront cost and if it's covered under warranty I would receive my money back. When i had my 2013 malibu there was no diagnostics fee at all it had a misfire also but maybe because I knew what the code was I just found out the code after speaking to them. Do you know what may cause a misfire and also thanks for replying back everyone here is always friendly and very responsive.

#10 ·
Wow! I'm very interested as to what caused the dealer to come to that conclusion? Please keep up us informed on what the final repair is.

#8 ·
That is quite strange. All pistons? Did they elaborate as to the cause? I am not engine expert but I would wonder about the cylinder wall condition. If you owned it, i would push for more info and more aggressive resolution. Being a lease, wouldn't worry too much about it.

Let us know how it runs after.

#9 ·
Yea that's what he made it seem like he said that's the first time they encountered this with a new Malibu very weird. Idk what would have caused the issue seeing that I'm no mechanic myself but he didn't exactly know what the cause was since it was so new he was barely working on it when I went and got my loaner I wasn't very aggressive due to it being a lease and all just need it fixed lol

#11 ·
Been a week and a half and the pistons still haven't came in they have no real reason why one of my pistons just went out and they have all the other parts but no pistons I can't believe they can't find no pistons anywhere for this car I'm tired of riding around in this loaner looks like I'll have it until next week sometime at this rate

#12 ·
Very strange... I am surprised they didn't just put a new engine in. Or swap the car since it is a lease. One would think they would like the tech center to try and diagnose what happened there. Or, worse, GM probably doesn't want to know.

#13 ·
Yes I know I said as long as this is taking you could of just put a brand new engine on it they said they wouldn't due to not having many miles to begin with its craziness they honestly probably don't know what the hell to do honestly makes me eve more angrier driving around in a loaner 16 with the 2.0 engine with premium glad and fish bowl windows

#14 ·
After two weeks of getting the same old answers finally contacted the general manager regarding my issue he had his service manager contact me but I couldn't answer due to work I finally call back and talk to the guy that's been helping me in service and he tells me that people from chevy headquarters had to come down to see for themselves bout my car due to it being a new car and they couldn't believe it could happen to a new car after that whole spill he tells me they will contact me in a few days regarding what there decision will be he said they are still waiting on pistons and they could possibly be replacing the whole engine I then get a email back from the service mananger stating that he just got word they are going to replace the whole engine and a new engine assembly will hopefully arrive Tuesday and they will try to have me back in my car Wednesday evening it took two weeks of it sitting in their service shop for them to come to that solution

#15 ·
Dealer claimed to be replacing my engine but paperwork stated otherwise tired of chevy dealers and there lies had my car for 3 weeks just to replace one piston when they claim they where replacing the engine I will be contact Gm about their lies and show my dissatisfaction always been a Chevy guy to the death of me after my lease is it up going a different route

#16 ·
I had seen a YouTube video on the 1.5t engines in the gen 9. I thought it was interesting as he said he has seen quite a few gen 9 malibus with pistons going bad. My understanding is he's a fleet mechanic for a rental agency.

It will be interesting to see how they hold up given I have to gen 9s in my driveway right now.

Here the video for anyone who's interested.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5JZzPz9nnW0

#17 ·
I appreciate the video makes sense I'm glad u replied back but I'm pissed they lied bout replacing the engine and then the paperwork says they replace the one piston why waste the time replacing one when the other three can potentially go out eventually doesn't make sense to do one and not the others though car set for almost a month before they decided what to do

#19 ·
If anyone is interested, there is a TSB about this: 16NA241

From the summary "THIS TECHNICAL BULLETIN PROVIDES A PROCEDURE TO CHECK THE CYLINDERS FOR DAMAGED PISTONS AND DETERMINE IF THE USE OF AFTERMARKET CALIBRATIONS OR PERFORMANCE PARTS MAY BE THE CAUSE."

Subject: Engine Misfire, Ticking/Knocking Noise, No Compression due to Piston Damage, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated
Brand: Model: Model Year: VIN:
from to from to
Buick Encore 2013 2017
Regal 2011 2017
Verano 2013 2016
Cadillac ATS 2013 2017
Escalade 2007 2017
CT6 2016 2017
CTS 2007 2017
Chevrolet Avalanche 2007 2013
Camaro 2009 2017
Colorado 2007 2017
Corvette 2007 2017
Cruze 2011 2017
Malibu 2013 2017
Silverado 2007 2017
Sonic 2012 2017
Suburban 2007 2017
Tahoe 2007 2017
Trax 2013 2017
Low Cab Forward Medium Duty
3500/4500

2016 2016
GMC Canyon 2007 2017
Sierra
Yukon
HUMMER H2 2007 2011

ENGINE: L20, L76, L77, L83, L86, L92, L94, L96, L9H, LC8, LC9, LE2, LH6, LH8, LH9, LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9, LT1, LT4, LV3, LY2, LY5, LY6 LZ1, LFA, LFV, LHU, LMF, LMG, LTG, LUJ, LUV
Involved Region or Country North America and N.A. Export Regions
Condition Some customers may comment on the following conditions:
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illuminated.
Engine misfire.
Engine ticking/knocking noise.
The Technician may find no compression on the misfiring cylinder(s) with 100% leakage into the crankcase.

Cause This may be caused by an aftermarket ECM calibrations/components and detonation, that lead to a melted piston.

#20 · (Edited)
There is now a recall out on something like this: Program Title: "Stochastic Pre-ignition (SPI) causing cracked piston": Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 1.5 L LFV engine may have a pre-ignition condition that could cause piston damage. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil consumption could increase. In addition, a service engine light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire..... Repair Description: Reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) and change the engine oil with ACDelco dexos 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil of the part number as indicated in the parts section (In Canada, use the exact Mobil 1 part number specified in the parts section....

And what is "stochastic pre-ignition"? Well, some info can be found at hxxp://mdp.engin.umich.edu/projects/2017-gm2/. Here's some text for it: "Downsized boosted SIDI engines are capable of reducing light duty vehicle fuel consumption, and are likely a key element for 2025 CAFE fuel economy compliance. Combustion occurs under high pressures within these engines, leading to the more frequent onset of limit phenomena such as stochastic pre-ignition (SPI) at low speeds and high loads. Leading studies suggest that the SPI phenomena is initiated through localized hot spot ignition, for example hot spots associated with elevated component temperatures, deposit flakes or spurious oil droplets. The process is thought to occur stochastically and the resulting end-gas auto-ignition phenomena consumes most to all of the fuel air mixture, producing excessive peak cylinder pressures and pressure rise rates, which can quickly lead to catastrophic engine failure. As a result of the SPI limit phenomena, the full fuel economy potential of downsized boosted SIDI engines cannot be recognized."

#21 ·
Another reason I prefer my 3.6L NA over an undersized engine that has to be boosted just to do what's needed.

Eventually they may get all these turbo woes ironed out, but I still maintain that putting turbos on cars for general consumption is a scary thing. For high-performance vehicles that will likely see better-than-average maintenance they shouldn't be an issue, but for many who treat cars like appliances and change the oil only when or if it is absolutely necessary, turbos are gonna fail at higher rates than they should.

And now with "SPI" being an issue that we're probably gonna hear more often, little engines under immense pressure are gonna fail, and they have already begun to do so.

#22 ·
Another reason I prefer my 3.6L NA over an undersized engine that has to be boosted just to do what's needed.
I have a feeling as these turbo-infused budget and mid-size cars age many of use will have nostalgia for a plain old free breathing engine. The bummer is the NA options will keep shrinking in these segments while countries like China offer tax and tariff benefits for displacements lower than 1.6L.

Eventually they may get all these turbo woes ironed out
GM will introduce a modified two stage turbo soon and add more experimentation to the mix. By the time they start ironing that out they will introduce the next thing. GM is just now dealing with issues other mfg went through years ago - like rattling a wastegate actuator (bulletin PIP5418) and they don't know what to do.

And now with "SPI" being an issue that we're probably gonna hear more often, little engines under immense pressure are gonna fail, and they have already begun to do so.
So far we have a couple reports here on the forum and GM likely has others if they have been investigating enough to release a service update/non-safety recall. I think we will see very few of these incidents under 60,000 on non-fleet cars. We'll probably see a lot more as the general population relaxes on oil changes and coolant ages. Plus after 60k it isn't on GM.

I noticed this a few weeks ago but wasn't listed as a service update for my car as of the 1st of Feb. Perhaps that is popped into the system now. What was the service update/recall number on that Chris Engel?

#23 · (Edited)
This seems like a severe issue if it happens, cant say I have ever noticed it on mine, but will make an appointment to have it corrected this week. And what is with a the exact specific oil deal? Does that mean I have to use this oil from here on out?

Edit: Already made an appointment for Friday of this week via their website, it is already listed as an item I could check for bring in for service.

GM Program #:
N162071350

Date Issued:
Feb 04, 2017

Program Title:

Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI) Causing Cracked Piston

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 1.5L LFV engine may have a pre-ignition condition that could cause piston damage. If this condition occurs, the vehicle may perform poorly and oil consumption could increase. In addition, a service engine light may illuminate indicating an engine misfire. If the condition is present, and the repair below is not completed before multiple pre-ignition events occur, a piston may be damaged and the engine may need to be repaired or replaced.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) and change the engine oil with ACDelco dexos 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil of the part number as indicated in the parts section. (In Canada use the exact Mobil 1 part number specified in the parts section). It is very important that only oil with the correct part number is used in this repair.

Program Status: INCOMPLETE

#24 ·
I scheduled this also as it was now available at my dealer. The oil is an interesting one. My guess is they want the full synthetic used forever to reduce oil breakdown as a contributing factor. I guess it could also be preferred while the engine re-calibrates after the update? I'll be sure to ask.

Then there is the thinking: Wonder how much damage engines have already taken? Obviously a single event probably doesn't damage a piston and it is a series of events. How far along in that series are the pistons that are still holding solid?

#26 ·
After thinking about this then doing a little inquiry, I have decided on four things:

1) If you haven't experienced a blinking service engine light it is unlikely an event has already occurred. At least a severe event hasn't occurred. One of these pre-ignition events would be more likely if there has been a coolant issue or oil has aged or the car is under an unusual load. I would think a long interval before the first change would really elevate this not to mention the coolant bubbles some have reported.

2) The update will only "help" as noted in the TIS system. It seems likely the full synthetic would be for the life of the vehicle to reduce risks from that side.

3) I have a feeling GM is not sure their engine update will even help, considering they have a recently closed open call at U of M for project evaluation of this exact issue. I guess that proves the cart was in front of the horse: Stochastic Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Engines ? Multidisciplinary Design Program

4) I bet with diligent maintenance and no aftermarket "enhancements" the 1.5 will be fine for a long time. The ECM update probably adds to that. That said, I think I'll be dumping mine promptly after the extended warranty expires.

#27 · (Edited)
#28 ·
So I guess come Friday I will find out that I have to go to GM for real expensive Oil changes for the Life of the car. Bleh, They should cover the cost, which I'm sure they will not. All I ever see with Full Synthetic oil is expensive. I know it lasts longer but it shouldn't be a requirement on a vehicle. I also wonder when it comes to synthetic oil, is the oil change meter able to determine this and let me know when another Synthetic oil change is needed. From what I read about the oil change meter, GM has stated you can live by it, they have so much confidence in it.

#29 ·
They may have confidence in the OLM, but they also claimed that the 6-speed auto is designed to go 200K miles in the lab.

Just because you can drive a ba-jillion miles before changing your oil . . .

Just because you can jump off a bridge . . .

#30 ·
I had this done this morning. They call it recall 17019. Along with the update they do an oil change with full synthetic and yes all oil changes at the dealer will be full synthetic from this point forward. The adviser says I will pay the same. So, good news is you get a free oil change so wait and schedule the "recall" to match your preferred interval. I guess the first bad news is you get a free oil change at the dealer (for those skeptical of the dealer lube techs).

That said, I left the dealer and drove 5 miles. Auto stop engaged, I released, the car lurched forward a bit then I briefly lost power. Got a CEL. Onstar says code p059f and p069e. I took it back, they immediately gave me a loaner and that is that. Based on what I find online it is something about the grill shutters and fuel pressure but sometimes the p069e throws with p059f. They insist they have done almost a dozen of these malibu updates with no problem so right now I guess it is a coincidence.

#31 ·
Wtf, So whatever they did, didn't agree with your car, I hope I don't pull out and get the same thing tomorrow. So they are picking up the Synthetic cost at least as long as you go to them, I think that can be said of any lube tech if your not doing it yourself, does not bother me to get my oil changed at a dealer, never had any issues to this point. I am close to needing an Oil change anyways. Will save my last free one from them for another 6 months probably. I only put about 7k on the car in a years time.

#35 ·
I got my car back earlier than anticipated. One code was the active shutter system froze. Odd that it went all winter in snow and ice and froze up today with no snow on the ground at all - it was cold though. The other code resulted in replacement of a fuel control module. Got it back around 4PM, drove about 50 miles, all seems fine. Add it to the stack. At the one year mark I will take a picture of my service record stack and post it up. I think I can win that contest.

It is one heck of a coincidence but I think it is just that.

#36 ·
Come on, its the most reliable car in America according to the commercials. lol. Just dropped mine off this morning and they gave me the option on the loaners so I tried the new Cruze, that was the car I was originally going to get, Steering wheel is to low and cant adjust it any higher. I think this is what either recall 3 or 4 in the first year.

#38 ·
Hi everyone,

We've taken the time to review this thread, and we regret to learn of the frustration many of you have been experiencing. Please know that we are here and more than happy to help if you would like an additional layer of assistance while working with your dealerships. If interested, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage and involved dealer, and we'll assist as best as we can.

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got my 2016 Malibu LT in April of 2016 with 14 miles; She now almost has 17k. Onstar made me aware of the recall and since I was due for an oil chance my dealer called wanted to schedule that and take care of the recall. Service guy said all they had to do was reprogram the computer. Should I walk in with the Recall info and make sure they put the synthetic oil? If this is the case, I'd argue GM is going to be on the hook for my free oil changes because of their issues. My appointment is Monday the 20th @ 1000am Victor Chevrolet Victor, NY

I live in western NY and travel to Northern Michigan a few times a year. Going through Canada late at night early AM this is all I need to break down with my wife and 2 small kids.

While I'm here, Same car..Does anyone hear water moving near the fire wall either through the heater core or something else? I can't quite explain it. Its probably antifreeze, but if its in Neutral and you hit the gas it moves faster.

Thank you! I will let you know about my experience Monday AM

Todd

#40 ·
Should I walk in with the Recall info and make sure they put the synthetic oil?
You probably don't need to say anything as the recall procedure includes the oil change. It wouldn't hurt to just say something to the advisor like "I am told there is an oil change part of this? Using full synthetic now? So... what's that all about?"

If this is the case, I'd argue GM is going to be on the hook for my free oil changes because of their issues.
I doubt you will receive anything other than the two free plus this one since it is part of a recall. You can always try for it though. Personally, I would save my arguments for things to come and accept oil change costs as they are routine maintenance.

I live in western NY and travel to Northern Michigan a few times a year. Going through Canada late at night early AM this is all I need to break down with my wife and 2 small kids
Being a Lions fan, you have obviously learned to embrace and accept things with questionable reliability. I fully appreciate the ongoing suspense of both the Malibu and the Lions.

While I'm here, Same car..Does anyone hear water moving near the fire wall either through the heater core or something else? I can't quite explain it. Its probably antifreeze, but if its in Neutral and you hit the gas it moves faster.
Just mention it to the dealer. You can start a dedicated thread about it with more details (how to induce, frequency, how long it lasts, a/c on or off etc) and we can offer more speculation. Assuming the a/c or defroster is off, it is probably the coolant as the tank is right behind the driver-side dash. Others, including me, have reported a couple seconds of rushing water sounds after stopping. Mine was air and/or excess coolant. Dealer corrected a long time ago and has been fine since.

#43 ·
Hi The RealSlickWilly,

We certainly recognize your feelings toward this situation and want you to feel confident in your vehicle. Unfortunately, since we are not trained technicians, we are unable to provide insight regarding this recall. We would recommend reaching out to your dealership, as they may be able to provide more information. If you’d like us to assist with getting you in touch with a dealer, please don’t hesitate to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide support on our end.

Best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.