Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hvac problems!

10K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
We just rolled over 7300 miles while into our 5th month of ownership with our 2016 Malibu 1LT and it is getting frustrating! So, back around the 3 to 4k mile mark my wife called me and said, "I have really cold water dripping on my toe". I was thinking that either the condensation drain port was plugged or maybe the low pressure cycling switch was malfunctioning causing the evaporator core or refrigerant lines to freeze up. We had some other issues to get looked at so I made an appointment with our local dealer. The dealer says, "There was an obstruction in the drain line probably from a spider web and we blew out the line to clear the obstruction" that was in late September. Mid October rolls around and I get into her car and as soon as the fan kicked on this horrible smell, like an old gym sock, came out the vents. I take it back to the dealer, explain the issue, and suggest that it might be an hvac controller problem as I was also experiencing a freezer type smell when the ac or defrost was on but it was intermittent. Well, I picked up the car and the fix was "inspected the drain tube for debris, inspected cabin hepa filter, and flushed ducts with a cleaning agent". Car was great until the last couple of days when the freezer smell was starting to come up, but last night was the topper. So, as we were driving home, the freezer smell came out the vents, all of the windows fogged up on the inside including the windshield. The cabin got very humid when this happened but within a few seconds the windows started to clear and the humidity went away. The climate control was set on floor, low fan, recirculate, no defrost or ac and the ambient temp was around 39*. I think I'm safe to say that this must be an hvac control module issue. I'm hoping to get this solved as having the windows fog up like that is a very unsafe situation. I'll also ask them to fix the whistling coming from the onstar antenna as it needs tightened up a bit. You know, when I joined this forum I really wanted to be proud of this car as the styling and engineering seemed very promising but this car is looking more like a lemon everyday! :frown:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am just about to tick 6500 in my 4th month of ownership and my car always seems to smell humid. I've checked both floorboards for any moisture but can't seem to findany culprit. I live in Southern California and my A/C is almost always on, or atleast the air running. Some days it's worse than others. I really only notice it when I get into it in the morning, it's garage kept. Is it possible some moisture is still causing the smell or humid feel. The best description I can give it is like a hay smell.

#4 ·
Hello iMyk,

We regret to hear your Malibu is experiencing an air conditioning concern and apologize for any inconveniences so early in your ownership. Have you had the opportunity to bring this to your dealership’s attention? If not, we’re happy to help get you in touch with them.

Please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information and preferred dealership name so we can get started.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care

#3 ·
AC in use makes the heat exchanger cold. When it's turned off it gets hot as the pressures inside the system equalize.

Hot + Moisture = Biological growth.

Biological growth + Time = Smell.

#5 ·
Well, I have an appointment for Thursday to get things looked at. Fortunately I have been able to reproduce the scenario multiple times so I'm hopeful the tech will be able to correctly diagnose and repair the problem.

#6 ·
So, I was unable to drop the Malibu off for my Thursday appointment as they "forgot" to reserve a loaner for me. Hopefully they have their crap together today or it will be time to find a new dealer. Ironically, the the hvac stopped functioning this weekend while driving but, after I pulled off the road and turned the car off and on things went back to "normal". Oh, and to top things off, I started hearing the dreaded dash gurgle which I assume is air in the coolant system.

#7 ·
Do you ever hear water sloshing around in the dash? Some days I swear it sounds like there's a good amount of water sloshing back and forth while maneuvering at low speeds.

#9 ·
Yesterday was the first time I heard it and it was a slow speeds (less than 5mph). My wife said she just started to notice it the past week or two. It does sound exactly like my dodge ram sounded when I acquired it and it had air in the cooling system. Best I can describe it is it sound like the squeaking from squirt gun under water. Oh, and the sound in my dodge went away after draining the cooling system and using my airlift tool to pull a vacuum and refill the system.

#11 ·
So, the dealer called today and said they could not duplicate the issue and ask if I would come in to help show them the problems. I showed them a video of the fan now functioning at all until the car was shut down and restarted. I was told they performed a software update to address that issue.... yeah right. So, then I turn everything off on the hvac controls and set the fan on low, air duct to floor, thermostat to just past middle range, and recirculate on. As we drive through the parking lot everything is fine but as I get a mile down the road I start smelling the freezer smell. I ask the service manager if he smells it and he says, "nope, all I smell is new car and plastic". I then notice that the green light is on for the air conditioning switch, I ask "hey, did you turn the ac on" he says " nope, it was on in the parking lot". To make a long story short I believe it is time to find a new dealer. What's even funnier is later I dropped a crock pot off and my parent's house and I turned every off on the hvac control before I shut the car off. When I went to leave, I started the car, turned the fan on, and guess what? That's right, the air conditioning was on. I guess I need to get a pair of eyeglasses with a camera so I can catch everything. lol
Can anyone recommend me a good chevy dealer in the Perrysburg Ohio area?

#12 ·
Something to remember is that these computerized cars like to reset everything to default after the key is turned off. Happens to my Gen7 with the fog lights, heated seats, inside auto-dimming mirror, and the HVAC.

If I have the HVAC set to full automatic and then turn the AC off, the next time I start the car it's on. To keep it off I have to move the Mode selector off of Auto to some other setting (vent, floor, etc) and the AC will stay off until I turn it back on.

You may be experiencing similar operation of your HVAC. Doesn't cost to investigate!

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice, but I don't have auto climate control it's manual. I'm working on making videos to show the issues I'm having, I'm just limited on time with the car.

#14 · (Edited)
Sooooo...... The saga continues! After multiple trips to dealers across the northwest Ohio area, I'm still dealing with the aggravating hvac issue. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been told "they couldn't duplicate the problem" or that "it's normal for the AC to come on randomly". Anyways, this past Tuesday I was able to stop by my local Dealer and show the service manager the water droplets on the accelerator pedal. He saw it and felt around under the dash and preceded to tell me "oh, it's normal to have some condensation under the dash when the ac is on". Unbelievable isn't it! I told him that it's not normal for the whole low pressure line to have excessive water accumulation that makes it rain under the dash. So, Monday I have an appointment to get the system evacuated and recharged, at the recommendation from the service manager. I don't think the system is overcharged as the problem is so intermittent and the fact that the hvac controller malfunctions. At least I finally got someone to acknowledge that something is wrong. What's funny, is it was 84 yesterday, and I drove it all day trying to duplicate the problem but the system worked flawlessly. I attached a pic of the water drops on the accelerator..... Would any of you call it "normal"?

[/URL][/IMG]

#15 ·
Not unless that water is from a puddle outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.