2017 Malibu Premier Noise - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Smile 2017 Malibu Premier Noise

I have a 2017 Malibu Premier with 1200 miles on it. About the 2nd day driving it, I noticed a clicking sound coming from the front passenger dashboard area. It is now squealing as well. I can tolerate the clicking but the squealing is driving me crazy. I've had the dealership look at it twice. First time, they heard nothing. Second time, with me in the car, they heard the clicking. But did not offer to do anything about it.
You only hear the noise when the car goes above 35mph. It was very loud when I drove on the interstate a few weekends ago. Almost unbearable.
The noise goes away temporarily when it rains.
I plan to get the service manager and owner involved. I've rented a 2016 malibu and driven it 600 miles. No sound at all. Was very quite.
The premier wheels are loud in the back as well.
Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2017 Malibu Premier Noise

I deleted the thread in the New Member Introduction that was identical to this. Over there, just introduce yourself. Also, please don't start duplicate threads or posts. It makes it easier for you as well as anyone else if all of the comments on your single issue are in one single location instead of scattered about.

So, the '16 was quiet and the '17 has an irritating noise? Maybe fastening a camera or phone to the passenger's seat and recording it will help convince them that there is an issue that needs immediate attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:28 AM
CMF Senior Member

You can also record that sound and post it here for our speculation. Clicking in that area makes me wonder about blower motor, actuator, or belt passing the alternator area. Does fan speed or recirculation have anything to do with the noise or is it just speed of the car? Do you hear this noise with the car on and hood open listening from the outside around the belt and alternator?

As DD said, other than posting the noise for us to speculate about you will just have to find a dealer that cares.

As for the rear end noise, I could say a lot about that. At one point I was a strong believer of the cause being exclusively the tires on a certain trim. I no longer believe that at all. Every Gen9 Malibu I have been in, multiple samples of every trim, is some degree of louder than other comparable cars in the rear. Tires probably effect that noise as different tires/patterns are louder than others. At this point, I think the quest for a lighter car resulted in use of some materials that do no muffle the normal road noise as well as other cars. Some people are sensitive to this and some aren't.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I do not hear the front end noise while parked or with the hood open. Ive spent some time listening with the hood open. Only time I hear the noise is when I am going above 30-35 mph. The noise stops the instant I go below that speed. I will get a recording and post it on here. I appreciate all of the insight so far. Thank you
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Here is a video of the noise. The click/whining starts right before I turn the camera to the glove compartment.

It is not letting me post a link so here is part of the youtube path...

youtube.com/watch?v=RWyFypAEqp0
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Garage

I'm not sure I'm hearing the same thing that you're describing. What I hear after 3x is some clicking but I couldn't tell ya what it's from.

Could be loose plastic panels underneath or something you picked up from the road.

Here's the link as a convenience to others:

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:46 AM
CMF Senior Member

It is tough to hear over the road noise. I hear two different noises and can't tell which is from the car and which might be ambient. Is the noise a rhythmic ticking (I hear that from :31 on) or the sporadic fast multi grindish tick (happens right at :23 and again :32-:33ish)?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

The noise is the rhythmic ticking you are hearing from :31 on. It is hard to hear the whining that goes along with it because of the road noise.
Any ideas of what it may be?

The road noise in the back of the car is really bad as well. Hopefully this is something the dealership can address.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:06 AM
CMF Senior Member

The pattern is pretty consistent which makes me think it is rotational in cause. Since it only occurs over 35 and you haven't mentioned correlation with climate controls it probably isn't the blower motor or recirc actuator. If it were just the tick I would think it is something under the car flapping as wind causes it to flutter. Since it occurs only over 35 and is a tick and squeal, which is affected by rain, my best guess is the serp belt. Heat and humidity can affect noises and it might just need tension adjustment. The only problem with that is it sounds more in the cabin than muffled by the firewall. It does continue if you release the pedal and just cruise 45ish?

As for the back end, good luck. If they ever determine something is abnormal - and fix it - let us know. IMO it is a consequence of weight reductions as previously stated but who knows. My money is on the wheelhouse liners. The liners on mine are closer to cardboard then hard, thick, plastic. The noise is not bothersome on mine but I have been in others that it is louder. Tires probably have an impact.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I will check to see if the sound continues at 45 mph when releasing the pedal and let you know. I believe it does, but I want to make sure.

My wheelhouse liners are very thin. Almost like a felt type material. First time I've ever seen it. It isn't too bothersome. Just irritating because the 2016 malibu I rented a few months ago was so quiet.

Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.