Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 Premier - Non working park-assist/front and rear warning

41K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  campb292 
#1 ·
Recently purchased 2016 pearl white premier 2.0. I think I am going to really enjoy it after having 2008 and 2011 LTZs which I loved. It has most of the options - which worried me as more things to go wrong, but many of them are helpful. The park assist was demo'd by sales rep and front/rear/cross warnings worked then also and the first day. Since then I get park assist not available message and says service park assist. Also the front/rear warning is not working and the button on the console does not light up. I took it back to the dealer and they could not find a fix. They acknowledged they were not working and said the light bulb on the middle button is not burned out. They want me to bring it back when they have more time - as they did not find an easy or simple solution and want me to leave it for a day. It appears the two systems are tied in together (buttons are middle and right of the 3 buttons on center console - left button is traction control off/on which works). Before I find a day to take it back I thought I would check with forum which is very helpful with problems and similar experiences. Thanks for any help and advice. Jbucki

#2 ·
I'm had the same issue. Same exact setup. Dealership said the park assist module was bad. They ordered a new one. They don't know how long it'll be until the part comes in. Not sure how that is possible. I'm not convinced the tech in this car is going to hold up. Last 1st gen I buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Same failure on mine. For me, it turned out to be the sensors had shorted out. The dealership replaced them and the system started working again. I'm still getting an occasional "Service assist system" message on my instrument cluster when I start the car, but the message quickly goes away and the system works. So, I'm afraid the system is destined to fail again some time down the road. I'm thinking it's some sort of design shortcoming.

#4 ·
Mine just happened 1 week ago. Took it to the dealer and what do you know, park assist module was bad. 3800 miles 2016 Malibu premier pearl white. Must be a problem starting with these cars. I wonder if it is by model make color option, trim package or ????, or just a bad string of modules.

#5 ·
Hi jbucki,

We regret to hear of this park assist concern in your Malibu, and do apologize for any inconvenience caused. If it'd be of interest, we'd be happy to get in contact with your involved dealer to offer additional assistance. Please feel free to send us a private message with details so that we may take the next steps!

Thank you,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#7 ·
Mine was put on order on a Thursday as well, and it showed up at the dealer on a Friday morning the very next day and never received a phone call either, I ended up calling on a Wednesday of the next week, and they said they could get it right in at 7:00am. They told me they were slow all week, and didn't have a lot of service work.....Go figure. So it is repaired with a new module, and all is good for now. Sounds like Chevrolet needs to look into this with a possible recall.

#8 ·
Hello ccarson05 and 2speed,

We wanted to apologize for both of your less than exceptional experiences with your dealerships, but are happy to hear that your concerns were resolved. Please know that our team is always here to assist forum members with any questions or concerns they may have, so feel free to reach out to us if either of you come across anything else!

Bret B.
GM Customer Care

#9 ·
Same thing happened here. 3800 Miles on my brand new 2016 Malibu Premier 2.0T. Park Assist stopped working and my front/back range sensors don't work (assuming it's all the part of the same sensor package). I want to tie the malfunction to when I got a car wash, but that might just be my brain trying to find a cause.

Going to take it to my dealer when I have time. Very frustrating - had the car less than 3 months.

#10 ·
I am having the same issue on my 2016 2.0t Premier. I have had it back in the shop 3 times. The last time was just after the bulletin had come out to reprogram the system. Yesterday, lo and behold, the park assist system is inoperable for the 4th time. I just hit 4900 miles.

#11 ·
UPDATE: I am on my way to pick up my "recalibrated" park assist issue for the 4th time. The dealership tells me that there are 4 known TAC cases like mine, where they have not been able to fix the problem. I am also now being told by the dealership that this problem is not going to be covered by lemon law. So GM, after owning GM vehicles my entire life, you are going to lose a lifelong customer over a park assist issue? I am one UNHAPPY Chevy customer right now!!!!?

#15 · (Edited)
Don't listen to the dealer, they're just trying to weasel out of what they knows is a lemon and a very potential buy-back.

Check on your state's laws. If it's like in North Carolina (where I live), your problem would indeed be covered by the lemon law. Most state laws are similar to NC's and many are much tougher.

I'd file an arbitration case with the BBB but be prepared to fight. I did it with a 2000 Alero years ago, GM bought it back (persistent water leaks in the doors). I had plenty of documentation that they couldn't fix the problem and was successful.

#19 ·
Mine is going in for the third time tomorrow and I have only had the car for ten months. I think Chevy really needs to do a recall or figure out how to fix this as us owners should not have to keep paying to get this fixed after warranty is out, if we have a trail of problems to this.

#21 ·
Mine goes back next week for the 4th time! Totally unacceptable!! They have reprogrammed it but haven't replaced anything. If I weren't a GM retiree, I think this would piss me off enough to look at Fords or something.

Have any of you that have had the module replaced had any more problems?

#22 ·
So, at 14,139 miles in April 2017 the dealer "reprogrammed the parking assist control module with SPS" (?) and everything was working again.
In August 2017 the parking assist stopped working again and at 19,940 miles they replaced the parking assist control module. Everything is working now. Hopefully that is the permanent fix!

#23 ·
I am having the same problem with my Malibu. After having it for four months, I started getting the "Service Park Assist" message on the dash board. Now, I've had the car for a year, and I'm still getting the same message. I've taken it back to the dealer several times, and they don't have a fix for it. Now, I'm getting a message about the air induction system. I'm getting tired of the taking the car back and forth to the dealer. I'm not sure what to do next, as they don't know either.

#24 ·
After 3 reprogramming tries the dealer finally replaced the park assist module. I'm not sure which one as there are a front and rear. It now seems to working okay. Not sure if it is the ultimate fix as it's only been 3 weeks. The reprogramming usually "held" for a month or 2. The dealer said they did a lot of calls and research to finally come up the correct module.

#26 ·
Same problem here. Mine goes back for the fourth time since purchase 7/2016. Not a reliable system. On the last visit in October 2017 I was told that the reason the park assist is not working is that the entire power steering system would have to be replaced and would take a few days. After a couple of months of not using the Park Assist, I really don't think it is needed. If after driving 52 years I can't park a car then its time tear up my license. No one should drive if they cant park!

So this is a glamorous add-on extra tech unreliable invention. The car is leased so I have to repair it before its returned. I found a different Chevy dealer who did some trouble shooting and will replace the Park Assist module. I'll give that a try as it sounds less complicated than removing and replacing the entire power steering system.

At 17,000 miles other electronic sensor and module problems are beginning to show up. I wonder if the tech in this car is poorly designed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.