Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Adaptive Cruise Control Disengaging

32K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  intimidater51980 
#1 ·
How many people are having trouble with the adaptive cruise?? 2016 Premier. I have had many times a message that Adaptive Cruise Temporarily Unavailable. This happens fairly often when there is really heavy rain, snow or a lot of slush, etc. Although irritating, I thought it was understandable.
Lately, have started getting a message that Adaptive Cruise Control Disengaging, and it does shut down. These have been happening for no apparent reason, day and night, no bad weather. When these instances happen it will immediately start working again if I hit the set button again. This is not like the temp unavailable message that has happened in bad weather and the cruise will not work until weather clears or slush melts.

Irritating. Last trip it kicked off 4 times in a two hour span. Anyone else having this experience? I have one free oil change left and will mention when I take it in. I just know they have trouble with these intermittent problems.

#2 ·
I have had the same intermittent problem in my Premier. I even had the dealer reset the software but it still happens once in a while. See my thread below.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/for...70-adaptive-cruise-control-not-available.html

Not a weather issue for me as I live in L.A. but happens when the traffic is more stop and go. So radar and electronics are working harder than just hiway cruising.

Usually is available again after a few minutes so I have not returned to dealer as this is now so intermittent.

#4 ·
Just to close this out. Waited until it was free oil change time and had them look at this cruise control issue while it was there.
According to the invoice they found two codes U0420 and U0415. Those coupled with the description led them to follow DOC #4538114, reprogrammed power steering control module with latest calibrations.

Service writer said even though it might not seem they are connected the service document mentioned 'our symptoms' and they thought this was probably a good fix.

#6 ·
According to the invoice they found two codes U0420 and U0415. Those coupled with the description led them to follow DOC #4538114, reprogrammed power steering control module with latest calibrations.

Service writer said even though it might not seem they are connected the service document mentioned 'our symptoms' and they thought this was probably a good fix.
I took my car in for yearly maintenance and asked them to look into my intermittent problem with Adaptive Cruise Control disengaging. I took info on doc you posted and asked for software update.

They found no error codes for ACC but did the upgrade as I requested. I haven't tested ACC yet as I have not taken an extended hiway trip.

The steering feel after update is slightly firmer, needing a tiny bit more effort to turn the wheel. Feels sportier. I like it.

Did your steering feel change?

#9 ·
I am having the same problem with my 2017 Premier..........on a 90 mi trip it disengaged 5 times.......i read in the owner's manual it will disengage if it dosen't see anything which must mean traffic.....if this is the case then ACC is useless here because where i live you can drive miles and miles without seeing any traffic.....the only way i can get it to work again after it disengages is to pull over to the side of the road and turn off the ignition and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then restart and it will work again for a ways.

#10 ·
Never know if it is the same problem or not, but I would interpret the 'can't see anything' as sensor/camera blocked by dirt, slush, etc., not 'there is nothing to see'.

At any rate I have not had any problems since the fix I described above.

#11 ·
This still happens to me every once in a while as far as the ACC disengaging. When it does I just revert to OSDM (old school driving method, manually controlling the gas and brake) for a few minutes. Usually, when I try to reengage it does.

When I first starting having this problem, a few months after purchase, it would not reengage.

During this period when the Adaptive Cruise Control would not reengage, there was a faint whirring sound that lasted about 4 seconds followed by a few clicking sounds every time I unlocked the doors before starting the car. To me it sounded like a solenoid or servo on a camera moving the lens forwards or backwards. It was coming from in front of the radiator, dead center, though I could not see what it was through the grille, after some research that is where the radar unit is.

The sound happened only when the car doors were unlocked by keyless fob (?) and only while the cruise control was offline.

When I finally had time to take the car to the dealership and they reset the ACC, the clicking and whirring sounds were gone. The service people even heard it when they had it but when the sound was gone they did nothing further. Speculation on my part but that sound starting only when the radar controlled system problem occurred and then being gone after the ACC was reset seems related. Wish we had more info on this but my bet is that it is the radar unit making that noise.

They never found any error codes pertaining to ACC issue. So now I use ACC more carefully. Disengage it when in heavy traffic requiring stop and go, or when a quick stop is approaching due to rapidly stalled traffic.

There have been enough posts on this forum about this issue to warrant Chevy to do an in depth analysis of this problem. Especially as some of us are mid way through warranty period.

Hope the Chevy rep reads this.

#12 ·
I found out why mine is desengaging......if there isn't a car in front of me in my lane that it can detect it will disengage and won't engage again until there is a car in front of me....it dosen't matter how many vehicles are coming from the other way......it won't re-engage until there is a car in front of me that it can detect.........i have tried this many times to make sure if that is what is happening and its the same every time.....as soon as the car in front of me gets so far ahead that it can't detect it anymore it disengages.

#15 ·
Something is definitely wrong with the ACC in your car. The owner's manual says explicitly that if no cars are around it'll act like any normal cruise control. I tried mine yesterday on an open stretch of road with no cars around, it held at speed with no problem.

Out of curiosity, I assume the sensors in the front bumper, the camera on the windshield and the sensors in the opening below the grill are not obstructed in any way?

#16 ·
Yes everything is clean........also in the owner's manual it gives reason why the ACC with automaticlly disengage and one is "No Traffic or other Objects are being detected"........."The sensors are blocked"......."The traction Control System (TCS) or Stabili Trak system has activated or been disabled.

#17 ·
Yes, you are correct but that implies *nothing*, as in not even a tree or anything on the sides is being detected either (I think that implies the sensors think the car isn't moving). That's not your case, there's something amiss. Look at the other items in that list, the entire heading says you need to brake during those conditions.

The system should just work like any other cruise control when no cars are around; if not, then someone is a brain dead ape that designed the software and I doubt anyone would be that stupid. Get the dealer to check the system.

Out of curiosity, is your s a 2016 or 17? Mine's a 2017 and still rather new (less than 1k miles on it). It didn't act like yours at all.

#19 ·
Ouch. Something is definitely screwed up, mine's like yours and doesn't act like that (yet).

If anyone at the dealership says "normal", I'd kick up a fuss. If GM says it's "normal" for real then that system was, as we designed engineers often say, "designed by monkeys". There's plenty of long stretches of road that you won't pass a soul for miles, the ideal use for cruise control.

#20 ·
I have a 2017 Impala Premier and never had an issue until I hit a deer and needed front end repairs. Now experiencing this acc disengaging issue. Now going to take to dealer for the third time. Seems like they don't have a clue as to why this is happening. Has anyone found a fix for this? Any Chevy reps out there that can help?

#21 ·
I am having the same issue in my 2018 Premier with 26,000 miles. I purchased the car almost 2 months ago and after about a week the cruise would intermittently not work. Sometimes it would say "Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable" and other times it would work for about 3 seconds then say "Adaptive Cruise Disengaging". Sometimes you could wait a minute and turn it back on. Other times it wouldn't work the rest of the trip. I feel it is not weather related, as the cruise has worked on rainy clouded crappy days, but hasn't worked on clear days when the car is clean. Car is kept in the garage and weather has not been over 80 degrees, so I know it is not any sensor getting too hot.

I can't seem to find any similarities to why this is re-occurring... it is totally random. One day it works, next day it doesn't. Originally I took the car in to have them look at it but the dealer could not repeat the issue and the cruise worked every time they tried it. However, last week the cruise did not work for a couple days so I took it in and now they are working on it. Now they have had it for 4 business days and still cannot figure it out. The last I spoke with them they said there may be some kind of low voltage issue. They thought they found a ground wire that was loose so they tightened that up, but the cruise still did not work when they test drove it.

I would concur with the comment above and saying it seems like nobody has a clue as to why this is occurring. It seems like my dealer and GM are lost.

So at the moment I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer and driving a loaner Chevy Trax. Can't wait to get the Malibu back. This is frustrating to say the least!

Edit: I forgot to mention they have already replaced the long range sensor and some kind of cruise control module. Both did not fix the issue.

#22 ·
I have had my 2017 Premier in for Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable a few times. They replaced some parts and it fixed it for a few weeks. It returned and they replaced a sensor and two modules. It worked for a couple months then came back. My bumper to bumper ran out and now they want $150 just to look at it. Not worth temp fixing, just lazy tech I'll make do without. If you pull the negative it works for a couple start cycles. Good to know for a trade in.

#23 · (Edited)
If the problem started and was worked on under warranty, they need to fix it even though the B2B warranty is expired. They’re probably saying the $150 to look at it in case it’s not working due to other circumstances so I’d get that clarified; if you’re sure it’s the same issues and nothing you’ve done could affect that (aftermarket grill, accident, weird license plate, etc.) they need to fix it.

#25 ·
I got my car back this morning! All seems to be working! They said my problem was a faulty ground. The dealer knew they fixed the faulty ground the 1st day it came to the shop, but when they fixed that there still needed to be a bunch of re-calibrations done. This was after the dealer speaking with GM engineering multiple times and multiple days. The dealer is leaving my ticket open this weekend. They want to make sure I have no issues over the next couple days and then we can close it out. All will be covered by warranty of course, which is good because I imagine this is not a cheap fix with all the time they put into it.

All-in-all I was without my car for a week. All seems to be back to working order, so that is the main thing! Hope it continues to work. If not, back to the dealer...

I will update this thread once they close out the ticket and I get the paperwork. Then I can let you guys know official dealer comments.

A side note: It seems like my instrument cluster has more options in the helper screen now. When scrolling through the information tab I now have coolant temperature, oil pressure, and battery voltage. Kind of cool!

#26 ·
A side note: It seems like my instrument cluster has more options in the helper screen now. When scrolling through the information tab I now have coolant temperature, oil pressure, and battery voltage. Kind of cool!
I just realized too that coolant temp, oil pressure and battery voltage were available info pages but just not "selected on" after driving a rental that had them selected!
I hope your car is fixed now!

#27 ·
Forgot to update this after I got my paperwork from the dealer. Here was the official summary:

"The adaptive cruise control message is on and the cruise control is inop. Pulled codes U0420 and B1325. Originally thought the Active Safety Module faulty. Installed a new module but still had no communication. Traced the wiring and found a loose ground at G108. Repaired the ground and tried multiple times to calibrate the Long Range Radar Module. Replaced the LRRM per TAC's instructions. Still wouldn't calibrate. Eventually reinstalled the original ASCM and was able to calibrate the LRRM."

Glad to report all has been working well with no issues. The dealer had a heck of a time with this but I am glad they got it figured out and glad it was under warranty. This would have been around a thousand dollar fix.

Hope this helps anyone that may have a similar issue.

Also, it was pretty cool figuring out the dash display had different options in the "info" screen. Just a checklist of different things you can scroll through in the dash. I also learned about the speed limit sign and how you can toggle that on and off as well when it is showing your mph. Neat stuff! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.