Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen 9 Trailer harness question.

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rac3850 
#1 ·
2016, Gen9 LT.
Can't seem to find the proper plug-in trailer harness.
I can't seen to find the aftermarket manufacturer who has one.
I can't find anything on the GM parts sites.
It is diff from the gen8. We have tried the eTrailer T1 118604, and the Curt #56176. No Joy! Hopkins offers one but they state it is for '15 and '16.
After examining the connectors, on the Hopkins, it is obviously for the '15/gen8.
We CAN'T be the only one with this issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kody

#8 ·
Curt aslo offers a hitch for the 2016 Malibu, part #12152.

I ordered the hitch, then set about getting a quick connect wiring harness. However, I could not find a wiring harness fitment anywhere. The Curt site, eTrailer, et al, have no reference for a wiring harness. I emailed Hopkins tech support and they currently do not offer a quick connect harness, but indicated they were working with GM on one. They did offer a universal harness that they said "fit most vehicles," but I got the sense they weren't sure it would work with the new Malibu.

Beware: Curt publishes a detailed excel file with the latest updates for applications. If you open it up, be very careful reading it. There is only one line for the Malibu LT, with columns for the hitches and wiring harnesses. There an application year column before the hitches in which 2016 is entered. Also, and easy to miss, is another application year column showing 2013-2015 before the electrical connectors. So the same line in their spreadsheet is actually for two different vehicle architectures, hitches for Gen 9, connectors for Gen 8. It is very misleading, the way I read it there is no wiring harness for the Gen 9 2016 Malibu anywhere on Curt's detailed application chart.

I called Curt and talked to someone who was very aware of the dual Malibu naming confusion. He confirmed that Curt does not yet offer a quick connect harness for the Gen 9 Malibu, but their universal (splice in) kits do work with the Gen 9. They have two kits, 56190 and 59190. 59190 includes a fuse holder and wire for the power lead that comes off of the battery. 56190 does not include the fuse holder and long 12 gauge wire to go to the battery (assumes you already have fused power available). Otherwise, the two kits are the same for all other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.