Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How-to: USB module upgrade or replacement 7" MyLink or 8" Mylink

32K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  calgator73 
#1 ·
My LT had the 7" MyLink and single USB port in the front. For those that haven't noticed the 7" MyLink source menu has USB1 and USB2, where USB2 is always grayed out. This is because USB ports hub in pairs and you only have one. That MyLink is begging for another port.

While I had a LT w/ 8" Mylink loaner I decided to pop out that dual USB module and compare with the module in my car. Both connect with a miniUSB connector and separate 5V power connector. I ordered part 13509942 ($32 bucks at my dealer, $50-70 online), popped out my single port module and installed the dual port module. Both ports now work, USB1 and USB2 can be selected. My goal was play music off a USB and charge a phone separately or charge two phones. Works.

The current part number seems to be 13519224 but it wasn't around when I made this little guide.

PDF of guide attached at the end of this post.

Procedure:
1) Car off, key out and away from car
2) Locate USB module under radio. See photo:

3) Using small flathead screwdriver (smaller the better) insert into middle of left side of module, push in then pull slightly.

4) Repeat on right side of module and extract entire module. See photos and picture of the module out of car:

5) Push tab on miniUSB connector to remove
6) Push tab on 5V connector to remove
7) Install both connectors (just push into place, they only fit one way) on replacement module 13509942. See pictures of old and new module connectors:

8) Reinsert module by just pushing until it clicks into place
9) Turn on car and enjoy your replacement or 2 USB ports in a previous 1 port car. See photo:

This worked on my LT w/ 7" MyLink and a LS w/ 7" MyLink

Works on 2016 and 2017 gen9 Malibus with 7" Mylink. USB ports are functional, AUX port is not
DOES NOT work on 2018 Malibu; they changed the MyLink software and it limits one selectable port

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I came here searching for info about bolt pattern and found this thread. I just ordered one for my LS. The dealer wanted $40 for it and said it would take about two weeks. They kind of gave me a hard time and wanted to know why I wanted a USB module for a brand new car lol. Will update once installed.

#3 ·
My LT has the 7" MyLink and single USB port in the front, just like the LS. For those that haven't noticed the 7" MyLink source menu has USB1 and USB2, where USB2 is always grayed out. This is because USB ports hub in pairs and you only have one. That MyLink is begging for another port. :grin:

While I had a LT w/ 8" Mylink loaner I decided to pop out that dual USB module and compare with the module in my car. Both connect with a miniUSB connector and separate 5V power connector. I ordered part 13509942 ($32 bucks at my dealer, $50-70 online), popped out my single port module and installed the dual port module. Both ports now work, USB1 and USB2 can be selected. My goal was play music off a USB and charge a phone separately or charge two phones. Works.

1) Car off, key out and away from car
2) Locate USB module under radio
3) Using small flathead screwdriver (smaller the better) insert into middle of left side of module, push in then pull slightly
4) Repeat on right side of module and extract entire module
5) Push tab on miniUSB connector to remove
6) Push tab on 5V connector to remove
7) Install both connectors (just push into place, they only fit one way) on replacement module 13509942
8) Reinsert module by just pushing until it clicks into place
9) Turn on car and enjoy.

This worked on my LT w/ 7" MyLink and a LS w/ 7" MyLink

Pics can be provided if anyone needs them.
Please pictures! ?

Enviado desde mi XT1254 mediante Tapatalk

#5 ·
Will do. Give me a couple hours and I will dump them from my phone.

Here is a side by side of the old part (1 USB port no AUX and new part (2 USB ports AUX):

Close up of the back of each showing exact same config and connectors:

Photo showing the little tabs on the side you push in then pull out. I used that little plastic flathead bezel tool.

There are the connecting harness cables with old part removed:

Connectors plugged into new part:

All pretty and installed:

USB1:

And NEW USB 2 playing from and charging samsung phone:
Woow looks eassy, im gona ask for that part number to my dealer! Thanks!!

Enviado desde mi XT1254 mediante Tapatalk

#8 ·
It might automatically detect a device connected by the aux jack but my gut doubts it. Both USB ports work for data and charge but there is no source menu to select something connected by the aux jack. I am pretty sure I have some obsolete ipods and cables stored away somewhere in my basement - I will dig them out and check those along with my phone.

#10 ·
Mixed results. It does automatically pickup my old ipod which I believe is from 2008ish. If you switch to FM or USB etc you have to unplug and replug it as it only auto detects - no way to select it as a source. My phone on the other hand does not work at all by AUX and it does work by bluetooth and USB. That phone is a Samsung S6 Edge on 6.0.1. I might be able to mess with some developer settings and see if that helps but tonight is not that night.

#16 ·
Another user pointed me toward this thread and it is very promising.

Has anyone confirmed this works in a 2017? I have the LS with the 7" Mylink and I want to add an aux port. If nobody responds to the 2017 question I'll probably order one and give it a try. I don't even care if the second USB works as long as the aux port will let me connect my Sirius radio device to the car.

#20 ·
Re: USB port upgrade for 7" MyLink

Hi new to the forum. I purchased a 2017 LT tonight. I noticed that when my phone is plugged in to the USB port up front that my phone claims it is only charging in USB mode. Has anyone explored how to make it charge in a faster mode since the connector has a separate 5 volt power supply?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.