GM Certified 2016s - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

GM Certified 2016s

Now that there are a few "used" 2016s appearing at dealerships - I have a question about the cost involved to the dealer to GM Certify the vehicle.

I'm looking at a used 2016 Malibu that according to the dealer "has already gone through the 172 point inspection checklist" - but it is currently not advertised as being GM Certified. I'm curious what additional out of pocket $ it costs the dealer to provide the vehicle as GM Certified - anyone have any insight?

Last edited by Smunderdog; 01-09-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:19 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: GM Certified 2016s

I don't think you need to know that. what important is how much you think the car would cost or you can afford, and if that Certified Pre Owned (CPO) warranty will bring additional true or practical benefit to you. Dealer can inflate that cost. One dealer told me that it would cost them $1,500 for recondition which I would be careless. At the end of the deal, they removed that cost and other dealer processing fees, agreed to my bottom line.
To me, the most CPO benefit to consumer is that it will add additional 12,000 miles and one year bumper to bumper warranty to the remaining warranty according to GM. It also extends the power-train warranty to 6 years (instead of the common 5 years).
GM Certified Pre-Owned

To verify if the car is CPO, ask for Carfax of that car. CPO car must have a car fax and the car fax report should state that the car is offered for sale as CPO by dealer in its report. That was in my case.

08 2LT White/Titanium, 4cyl/4spd
Born 04/08 Lake Orion

Last edited by hoahai; 01-14-2017 at 06:24 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 AM
CMF Veteran Member

make sure that the car you are looking at IS in fact a Chevrolet CPO and not a dealer CPO...some dealers throw those letters around to make you think you are getting something you aren't...

Check the Chevrolet website on CPO's but with Cadillac CPO, there is a percentage of life that is checked on things like brakes, battery, tires, wiper blades, etc...if the car falls before any of these percentage wise, they are replaced...further, you get a longer bumper to bumper warranty (however it may not really be bumper to bumper )...lastly, decide if that is something you really want or think you are really getting your moneys worth for the up charge from what the car might be without the CPO certification or if they really did the replacements they say they do...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
make sure that the car you are looking at IS in fact a Chevrolet CPO and not a dealer CPO...
Bill
I think if that is a Chevrolet Dealer, then you can be sure that is a Chevrolet CPO:
Base on the FAQ from GPM: GM Certified Pre-Owned FAQs

Chevrolet designate their qualified dealer as their CPO. All Chevrolet dealers should be CPO dealer. Just like all dealer can fix Chevrolet warranty. I have not seen any Chevy dealer that sell car only, but are not qualified to fix car for warranty or prepare the car to the CPO standards by Chevy.

so I definitely would watch for non-chevy dealers that state that their cars "CPO"

08 2LT White/Titanium, 4cyl/4spd
Born 04/08 Lake Orion

Last edited by hoahai; 01-15-2017 at 06:57 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks everyone - the reason I wanted to know what the additional dealer out of pocket costs were for them to make the car officialy GM certified was to better understand how to negotiate that as part of the deal. They had already incurred any expenses related to bringing the car up to spec as it related to the 172 point checklist, but were not advertising the car as being GM Certified. They then shared that it would cost them an additional $500 to officially GM certify it and they wanted to pass that on to me as part of the vehicle price. This was at a Chevy dealership.

In the end I was able to negotiate with them to not add an additional $500 to the price and came home with a GM Certified 2016 Malibu Hybrid with 12,800 miles and the Convenience & Tech package, Driver Confidence package, heated leather, pano sunroof for $21k + taxes & reg fees. I believe this car would have stickered close to $34k a year ago, so I think we did allright. It was purchased at auction in December and was used as a GM Exec vehicle last year.

Getting the GM certification was important to me because it extended the bumper to bumper warranty and also gave us the option to obtain the 0.9% financing that is currently available through GM Financial for GM certified cars only.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

CPO is the way to go.

Hey that rhymed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Impala 2LT
V6 305hp/264tq
Conv PKG
Adv Safety PKG
Sunroof
50/35 Suntek CXP tint

RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
May 2012-Aug 2015

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.