Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This Black Granite Metallic Paint is driving me nuts!

21K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
I have had my 2012 LZ1 for 7.5 months, and noticing how easy swirl marks and light scratches get into this paint. I keep my car in the garage at home so I am lucky to keep my car out of the elements of the Alaskan winter for the most part. Since the roads are packed with snow, it is easier to keep the car cleaner than in the breakup season and summer. Is there any products that anyone has used (especially those of us that have this type of Paint) I want to buff the car badly, but I do not want to mess it up, and I do not want to pay the dealer, or anyone in town 250 Bucks to detail like brand new again when I can do it myself with the proper advice.

#2 ·
Going to ask a dumb question: have you waxed it?

I find the best thing to prevent swirl marks is wax, and usually, it also does a fine job of removing/covering light ones. If they are deeper than what a wax will cover/eliminate, then buffing may be next, but be careful, if you buff too much, you will go through the clear coat and then you are in for paint work.

#3 ·
I used to own a BGM '09. My first-ever time giving it (or any car) a full treatment gave me fantastic results.

1. Wash
2. Clay bar
3. Wash off residue
4. Scratch remover, if needed
5. Swirl remover (you'll need it!)
6. Sealer
7. Wax

You can do it manually or get a cheap buffer if you don't wanna be in pain for several days afterward. Just read the directions and then follow them. (Ackkk! Real Guys don't read directions!!!)

#4 ·
1. Wash
2. Clay bar
3. Wash off residue
4. Scratch remover, if needed
5. Swirl remover (you'll need it!)
6. Sealer
7. Wax

You can do it manually or get a cheap buffer if you don't wanna be in pain for several days afterward. Just read the directions and then follow them. (Ackkk! Real Guys don't read directions!!!)
Clay bar and sealing works wonders on any painted surface.

#5 ·
What brand(s) do you guys use to get rid of the annoying swirl marks, and light scratches. I have taken really good care of keeping the exterior clean, all summer (hand waxing, polish, ect), and I wipe it down every week now in the winter since the roads are packed with ice and snow, I don't get a lot of road grime on the car for weeks. The only thing I haven't tried is a buffer.

I have used 4 different brands of the swirl mark and scratch remover and it helps a little, but no where what it should.

The only product I know for a fact works well on our cars, is rain-x glass cleaner. I had a rock chip come up and hit my windshield and it left a good mark. The glass guy said that the rainx helped, because he had to remove some of it to fill in the chip.

#6 ·
I have had my Mocha Steel metallic since may. I used Turtle Wax Ice spray wax the day i brought it home and now about every 3 washes. Still looks like showroom after 6k miles.

#8 ·
I have always used 3m Finesse It 2 .. I worked at a dealership as a detailer and that was the product they had for swirls.. it works great and 1 bottle will last years.. you only need a small amount to remove swirls

#9 ·
I will check it out and see if it helps. I might give in at the one year mark of owning the vehicle (around April/May) and have the dealer do it if I don't feel comfortable, and go from there. It's no where near something that is bad, but it is very annoying to see considering my car is cleaner than 90% of the cars on the road at this point in the Alaskan weather.

#11 ·
I'm a hobbiest detailer and I can tell you that you need to look into Optimum Polymer Technology's OptiCoat 2.0.

It's a coating rather than a flimsy sealant or wax. It can't be washed off and is a permanent coating that is harder than clear coat. It adds ~ 4 nm of thickness and makes a huge difference in swirl resistance. You won't have to wax your car for 5+ years. Their test car is on year 7 and going strong.

You'll want to prep the car properly first. Wash with Dawn, clay, ideally polish with a DA like a Porter Cable 7424xp, wash again with Dawn, and then use the OptiCoat. This may be a daunting task and it's well worth it to pay a professional to do it for you. Go to Autopia.org and ask for a detailer in your area. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

I have the same color car. This is with OptiCoat 2.0 and nothing else and it's really a very blah picture.

#12 ·
Oh, and trying to remove swirls by hand is like trying to crawl from Georgia to California. Sure, you can do it, but would you want to? Invest in a <$100 dual action polisher. I recommend the Groit's Garage (aka GG6) polisher as it comes with a lifetime warranty. Buy Meguiar's M105, M205, Microfiber cutting and polishing pads, watch a couple youtube videos, and get to work!

None of those sealants or waxes offer any scratch/swirl/marring protection. OptiCoat 2.0 does. Just FYI.

#13 ·
I have to say the polar opposite.

I have Carbon Flash metallic and it is one of the best blacks out there. I normally only hand wash/dry it, but I've only had to lightly buff the car once in four years (this past summer) and only used the light polish. I keep the paint waxed twice a year and there are hardly any marks and zero swirls.

This GM paint is holding up extremely well. For what it is worth, I use Griots products including their random orbital buffer. I highly recommend one.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/car+care/car+polishing.do?nType=2

#16 ·
I have the same paint color and don't have this issue though I am quite anal about it getting touched by anything when it is dirty. My grandpa used to tell me to never, ever wipe a car down even if it is dust until nearly every last drop of dust is off of it. It's funny how even dust can scratch your finish.

#17 ·
My used '09 Carbon Mist car cleaned up fairly well.
Turtle Wax Ice is my wax of choice now for the quick shine, not the best long term as it barely handles the winter to spring but it's quick 'n easy with a good shine.
Micro fiber is your friend, it's the only wiper material that touchs my paint jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.