2010 2.4 Oil Change question - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2010 2.4 Oil Change question

Quick Question about the oil change.

I just got my 2010 LT2 Malibu. Should I change the oil before 3000k? Can I use 10-30 oil, or do I have to use 5-30? I live in upstate NY, but keep my car in the garage.

Also what number is the AC delco filter for the car??

Thanks
Quaf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Re: 2010 2.4 Oil Change question

anyone have any info?

Thanks
Quaf
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
CMF Senior Member

Use the recommended 5w-30 or during the winter run 0w-30.

Oil change intervals are purely opinion oriented. I have and always will do the first oil change at around 1,000 miles. After that it's based on whether I have an oil life monitor, or not. If I do, I'll use the oil life monitor and change when it tells me to. If I do not have an oil life monitor I'll usually change per the owners manual. On my Mazda that was every 5 months or 5,000 miles. Ultimately choose what you feel comfortable with. Everyone will have a different opinion on when you should change.

'09 Malibu LTZ
Ecotec w/A6
Black Granite Metallic

Capitalization & punctuation is the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
CMF Veteran Member

I would change it out early I did my 08 LTZ at 500,1500 and switched to synthetic at 3000. and stick with the 5-30, don't know the AC# I use all WIX filters and congrats on the new Bu'.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 PM
CMF Senior Member

Just do what GM recommends and you will be treating your car well. The OLM is your best guide if you are not driving in a dusty area. Changing oil any more often is a waste of money and a hit on the environment (how often can you say being environmentally correct actually saves money).

I am from further upstate than you. The temps run about 10 degrees cooler here than where you are. I keep my car in a garage as well. On my 08 LTZ with 2.4 I did the first oil change after 11 months of ownership and 8000 miles. The OLM was still showing above 10% but we were leaving on a vacation trip and I didn't want to be bothered changing oil while on the trip. It has been 6 months since I did that oil change, the mileage is just at 14K and the OLM is showing 40%. I probably will change the oil somewhere around March at the current rate. I am using 5W30 dyno oil.

I have been following GMs recommendations using the OLM on GM cars since 1997. Several of them I kept for 6 years, ran them many miles at WOT on a track and only changed the oil once per year. Never a problem with the engine. I use the OLM as a guide on my 03 Tahoe and it has 75K miles on it. It is my tow vehicle and sees some hard work during the summer when I tow my Vette to various tracks. Since I retired I don't drive it every day so last year it went a full year on one fill of oil.

The Malibu OLM is calibrated for dyno oil not synthetic. If you use synthetic your oil change intervals would be longer than the OLM indicates. The Corvette uses Mobil 1 as its factory fill and its OLM is calibrated for synthetic oil. It can go 1 year or 15K miles on an oil fill. Even with several thousand track miles per year it only gets its oil changed once per year.

I have been around long enough to see oil change intervals go from 2 months/2000 miles, to 3 months/3,000 miles in the 60s through the early 90s. Now we are much better off. You should have heard the comments when the manufacturers changed to the 3/3K interval from the 2/2K. The world was coming to an end just as it is now.

Bill
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Shoot, some companies are recommending 10k oil changes no matter what!

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Shoot, some companies are recommending 10k oil changes no matter what!
what are recomnationdations for oil change intervals for 2010 chev car.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:35 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Everyone will have a different opinion as to when you should change oil. The most educated advice can be found in your owner's manual.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:44 PM
CMF Junior Member

ACDelco PF457 Some come with the o-ring to replace on the cover others do not. It's good to change the ring periodically.

Oil needs to be 5w-30 and have the dexos approved label on them if warranty is a concern.

I'd like to change mine every 3K but average at least every 5k because I do a lot of driving. A local radio show and the only shop I bring my car to put the whole oil change thing into an interesting perspective. The people telling you to change your oil every 10k or more are usually the people selling you a car and not the people selling labor.

I understand that the life expectancy for a car is supposed to be about 100k miles or that's what they are engineered for so I could see where that change interval would make sense.

I wouldn't worry about the environmental impact of frequent oil changes because most stores have a place for you to dump oil at no cost to you. This oil is picked up and either properly disposed of or put into a recycling program where you may have noticed this new brand of recycled oil seems to be coming from. These places usually have a bin for old filters as well.

They sell (so get one) a very low-profile 32mm socket which will fit between the cover and the intake manifold without binding as you back it out. Lay some shop rags or paper towels around it as you back it out and there will be no oil to clean up. Do not use a BIG ratchet and remember that the cover is plastic. The o-ring will bind it in place once you screw it down slightly more than hand tight.

Doing your own oil changes are a bit zen and a great way to be able to notice when some issue is developing.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.