5Likes
  • 1 Post By cartire98
  • 1 Post By mmanter
  • 3 Post By The_Cams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Time For a New Battery?

It dawned upon me last week that my battery reached the 5 year mark (Original ACDelco 6YR-90, 12/2011, that came with vehicle - 2012, 1LT, 4cyl).

Decided to check it out. Clean and snug. Voltage stated 12.3v first thing in morning, turned lights on for about 20 seconds, it dropped to 11.4v. With car running, 14.7v. After I went around the block, car off, battery measured 12.6v sitting. What bothered me is it dropped to 9.5v minimum momentarily when first starting (starter engaged), and that is a flag to me.

Took it to AZ where they determined, 'it's 95% charged A OK'. So, I tried AA, and they determined the battery CCA to be 486, when the minimum of the battery spec is 590 (CCA roughly 82% of minimum). They didn't know what that meant :-) The outside temp was 70 degrees, and I'm assuming the CCA to be at 0 degrees as reflected on their tester. Don't see a lot of 0 degrees in Texas.

The battery has started the vehicle just fine when it was 18 degrees out recently, so it seems to be alright. Anything I should be concerned about based on the Info provided?

Last edited by The_Cams; 01-11-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:26 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Re: Time For a New Battery?

Batteries are hit or miss. In my opinion, you have gotten what you paid for. My GF's 2011 Equinox and my 2013 Bu battery died 3 months apart with wildly different mileage and time on the clock.

Consider yourself lucky and get a new battery since the prices are lower in your neck of the woods. Nothing was worse than needing help 3 times to get my Bu started in the snow. Dealer replaced mine under the 3yr warranty, but the replacement is a 36 month unit...After losing my power steering just b/c of a weak battery and almost hitting a curb...I'd say replace it regardless, whether you have huge forearms or not....LOL...(I scored 299 points out of 300 on a USMC PFT once - in 1983...then I couldn't even steer a Malibu 'later on' in life...) CPS
The_Cams likes this.

2013 Silver Bu
R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
Family members drive Equinox, Ford and Chrysler's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Good advice for sure. Wouldn't want to go through that! You're right about batteries being hit or miss. I've been pretty fortunate over the years and can't remember getting less than 5 plus years out of a battery.

What I did was bring the battery up to full charge. All readings are good now. Back to 12.7 volts in the morning. I think the many short trips and down time had the battery requiring a quick charge. I'll keep an eye on it, but am comfortable it has plenty of life left (famous last words).

Last edited by The_Cams; 01-12-2017 at 03:49 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:20 AM
CMF Junior Member

It's near the end of its life cycle even if it's not bad now since most batteries only last around 4-6 years approximately. If you're questioning it then it might be best to replace it before it goes bad. Just my opinion. Wouldn't want to be stranded with a bad battery. The one in my car was ok for the most part but if you left lights on or was in the car with key on engine off to listen to the radio while waiting for someone it would go dead. Would charge ok and start the car when fully charged but when not being charged it wasn't holding as well.
The_Cams likes this.

Matt Manter
Former owner of 2004 Malibu Maxx LT
Current owner of 2011 Malibu LTZ
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Yeah, you guys are right. Took a reading of 12.1v this morning and went right to Advance Auto and they installed an Autocraft Gold 90/T5. Purchased online to get the discount (code: savings) and drove away with a fresh (12/16), new battery for $106 + tax. Tough to beat.

Last edited by The_Cams; 01-14-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.