New Tires for My 13 3LT - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike O
  • 1 Post By Mike O

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

New Tires for My 13 3LT

I'm a new Malibu owner and have been really enjoying this car. Just picked up a 13 3LT with 91,000 miles on it. Yeah, how does that many miles happen? It was my brother-in-law's car and his job has him travelling every week, and a lot of that in the car.

The car still had the original H rated Goodyear Eagle LS2's on it. They had been rotated regularly and the car was running straight and true and I bet I could have gotten another 10,000 miles out of these easily. So for a lot of the criticism I see the LS2's get they actually served this car well. My brother-in-law indicated he was pleased with them. And on the highway I couldn't complain.

But they were starting to get noisy and I like new tires. I started looking around for recommendations for this type car and stumbled on the Continental PureContact tire. I compared it to the LS2 on Tire rack and the LS2 gets fair to good ratings while PureContact gets excellent to superior ratings, all for only $8 more per tire. With a 70,000 mile warranty, where you would be expecting a harder compound, they are just right.

The LS2 came stock as a 235/50R18H where the PureContact only comes V rated in that size. Ride is only subtly stiffer with the V rated tire. The higher speed rating translates to some increased road feel which I appreciate.
cp-the-nerd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: New Tires for My 13 3LT

Pretty much any tire that isn't out of round will feel satisfactory under normal driving circumstances. The width of tires from factory on modern cars does a good job of masking the cheap ones, but make no mistake, Goodyear offers almost no competitive tires, and the LS2s are flat out bad. They are awful in wet conditions, dry traction/handling is mediocre, and many of them need significant balancing. They also get much worse with treadwear.

It's just stupid that GM would pair these bargain basement tires with the optional engine, and they've been doing so for years. The 06-07 Malibu SS (3.9L 240 hp/240 tq), the 08-12 Malibu 3.6L, your gen 8 3LT, and others that would make you shake your head all came with them, despite owners paying good money for added performance.

I'm surprised you can feel any reduced ride quality with the PureContacts, regardless of the V-rating. You can always experiment with dropping a couple PSI. Continental makes great tires. Michelin and Continental both have really good tire compounds and highly engineered tread patterns. My fiance's Michelin Premier tires actually have treads that get revealed after 50% wear to maintain incredible wet traction. It's mind blowing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I have to admit that I haven't had enough time with the car to get a real feel. I've thought about playing with the tire pressure a bit but have not gotten to it yet.

My preference is for a bit crisper road feel. So going to the V rating, if nothing more, instilled more confidence for a bit more spirited driving.

Just based on the reviews on TireRack between the LS2's and the PureContacts I'm expecting drastic improvement.

I also bought a 2013 Ford Focus with 17" rims a couple weeks before the Malibu. I put the PureContact on it and was underwhelmed. It was too soft for that car. I actually took advantage of Continentals Total Satisfaction plan and traded the PureContacts for a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS W rated tires and am getting closer to happy. The challenge I have is that I came off of driving a 2003 Ford Focus SVT in solid maintained factory set up which will drive circles around the two new cars. I'm still happy to have the new cars shod them with great new shoes and recommend those shoes to others.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which are the same class as the ContiProContact brand from Continental. They utterly shame the LS2s with zero compromise (other than price, roughly $200 per tire). My only gripe with them is that they still don't have enough maximum grip for heavy throttle takeoffs. The 3.6L makes tons of torque from a stop.

I'm almost due for new tires myself. I'll probably be looking at Michelin Pilot A/S 3 because they've been on good sales.

If you want sharp response and sporty feel, why didn't you look at the ProContacts? PureContacts are their mainstream brand for normal cars without a lot of power or handling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Reading the reviews the PureContact fares notably better than the ProContact. I've heard high criticism of the ProContact on the Ford Focus forum. Even the Conti ExtremeContact DWS is a better tire than the ProContact. But in W speed rating it is more performance than I would put this car through. Do a quick comparison on Tire Rack and, if you believe their reviews, and the PureContact is their best tire.

The Malibu is more my wife's car and the PureContact was the best value for us.
cp-the-nerd likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You know what, you're correct!

The PureContact is more or less the replacement for the ContiProContact line, despite both still being sold. Their lower end tires are "TrueContact." Not the most intuitive naming scheme. Still, I should know this because TrueContacts are what my brother and dad have on a couple of their cars.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:48 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Tire Rack has great reviews and high ratings for Kumho Solus TA71. I'll be getting them when these crappy Eagle LS2's wear out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

For what it's worth Continental has a $70 rebate in the form of a Visa Prepaid Card through the end of November 2016.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:39 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
For what it's worth Continental has a $70 rebate in the form of a Visa Prepaid Card through the end of November 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
OK, finally read that the BU is really for the wife! That changes everything...Conti anything is probably a good overall choice - might as well let her help choose them. I agree with every negative post on the BU OEM tires. We used to call them "good for a year" when I worked at NTW/NTB. I was sort of impressed that GM started putting on Conti's recently though.

Since I only drive 1.5 miles each way to a train station, I am gonna buy Pirelli P Zero next spring to have some fun with my 2013.

2013 Silver Bu
R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
Family members drive Equinox, Ford and Chrysler's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartire98 View Post
Since I only drive 1.5 miles each way to a train station, I am gonna buy Pirelli P Zero next spring to have some fun with my 2013.
That is what I have now and they are great so far. They tend to grab the imperfections in the road much more than the LS2's did, but they are "Z" rated so I figured as much.

2014 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.