Bluetooth stays with OnStar cancelled! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Thumbs up Bluetooth stays with OnStar cancelled!

When I cancelled my OnStar I asked if the Bluetooth feature would remain active. I was told it would not. Since my Garmin nuvi 265WT has BT and I had already paired it with my cellphone, it picked up the slack when OnStar's BT stopped. The other day I noticed that my nuvi hadn't linked with my phone so I tried pairing the phone with my 'Bu. It worked! I couldn't use my old name but I can once again use my phone through the car's system. Thought I'd share that with any who may have been reconsidering their decision about keeping or cancelling OnStar.

All I did was hold the steering wheel button the required amount of time and then say, "Bluetooth", to which it responded "Bluetooth. Ready." After that it was a cake walk.

Much happier now!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 01-09-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Bluetooth stays with OnStar cancelled!

Yea the car has BT regardless of Onstar.

Also, if you hit the emergency button Onstar HAS to answer. Its like you dialing 911 on out of service phones, it still has to go through no matter what.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 PM
CMF Junior Member

I was not aware that onstar would answer if you hit emergency, thats interesting information.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Yea, they dont like that information getting out but its the law (told that by an actual EMT and the dealer). Also, not sure on this one though, if your airbags deploy they will still dispatch an ambulance to your location. Apparently they wont talk to you but they will send out help.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Yea, they dont like that information getting out but its the law (told that by an actual EMT and the dealer). Also, not sure on this one though, if your airbags deploy they will still dispatch an ambulance to your location. Apparently they wont talk to you but they will send out help.
Are you sure about this? When you say "its the law" do you mean it is a state law? Federal law? I was under the impression that absolutely none of the onStar features work if there is no active subscription.

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS
Summit White
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Are you sure about this? When you say "its the law" do you mean it is a state law? Federal law? I was under the impression that absolutely none of the onStar features work if there is no active subscription.
I can agree with bballr4567, here is an example for ya.

A coworker of mine was out and about on a weekend, he hit a light pole on his way home and the airbag deployed. He was fine and out of fear for a ticket he started the truck back up and finished the drive to his GF's place. The next day LVMPD showed up to his place looking for him because OnStar contacted them about the incident. He had no clue that OnStar contacted him because he swapped out his OEM deck, so since they could not speak to him via the vehicle they assumed he was hurt and still contacted the authorities. All this happened when he was not subscribed with OnStar and well after the trial year from the purchase date.

Weird yes, but it makes sense so I do believe they would know if you were in a wreck but who knows? Maybe there have to be some special circumstances for them to get involved.

Last edited by elcompaLalo; 01-11-2010 at 05:32 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
All the maintenance stuff doesnt work but the emergency HAS to. Its federal law. Onstar doesnt like people to know that because that is the only reason to really subscribe to them.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
CMF Senior Member

One way to test it - whoever here has an expired onstar subscription should go press the emergency button and see if they get connected. If they do, then it works, if not, it doesnt. I have always been under the impression that if you dont subscribe, its disabled and wont connect to the onstar call center. However, if you would push the onstar phone button, say dial, then say 911, the mobile phone part of onstar could still call 911 (like a disabled cell phone can), but youd be directly calling 911 - not onstar. Anyone follow me?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM
CMF Veteran Member

[I'm really curious as to why it isn't crm2019 who's going to try this.... Oh, wait, i think i can think of a few reasons :-)

"Hmm, i think my leg unbroke itself, maybe it was a cramp. I'm cool, thanks anyways though"]

EDIT: I saw that he specified the disabled people, but still think its almost illegal to try this: I am curious though. Onstar has a good product model if you have to break the law to determine what happens when you don't cough up the dough. :-)

Last edited by ChicagoMalibu2009; 01-14-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Saw that he said disabled onstar subscription
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Its not illegal to hit the emergency button. Ive done it to report drunk/crazy drivers and it just goes to an onstar call center first before being patched into your local PD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.