Factory Anti Theft System - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Factory Anti Theft System

Is the Factory Anti Theft System standard on all Malibu Models? I'm talking about the alarm system. I know that Pass Key is standard.

The reason I'm asking is I had problems getting this discount on my insurance. When they entered my Vehicle VIN, it didn't list the Anti-Theft system. So my agent asked for a copy of the Window Sticker. That didn't list it either. Now I know my car has the factory anti-theft system. The Security Light flashes after I hit the remote lock button twice. Also, I made the alarm go off just to test the system.

But my insurance company insisted that it wasn't listed anyplace. Finally, I had the dealer call the Insurance Company to confirm that my car had this feature. The insurance company finally relented and gave me the discount which came out to $55 per year.

I just don't understand why this is not listed in the Vehicle VIN or Window Sticker. My insurance company had a point. That's where the anti-theft system would show up, so I can understand why they gave me a hard time.

Is the Factory Anti-theft system (alarm) standard on the LS & LT1, or is it just standard on the LT2 & LTZ?

By the way, make sure your insurance company knows that the Malibu has the Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking system. You get the same discount on your theft insurance as Lo-Jack which in most cases is 25%. I provided the Onstar documentation to my insurance company and I got this discount.

Last edited by Richard; 04-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Factory Anti Theft System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Is the Factory Anti-theft system (alarm) standard on the LS & LT1, or is it just standard on the LT2 & LTZ?

By the way, make sure your insurance company knows that the Malibu has the Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking system. You get the same discount on your theft insurance as Lo-Jack which in most cases is 25%. I provided the Onstar documentation to my insurance company and I got this discount.
Good info. The way I understand it is that the Malibu Theft-Deterrent systems consist of the Remote Keyless Entry key fob and PASS-Key transponder key both of which are standard except for fleet. The available discount depends on the insurance company and state. The same with OnStar.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:

Hum, I gotta call and make sure they got that, thanks.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ View Post
Hum, I gotta call and make sure they got that, thanks.
Yeah, on my last car which also had Onstar, the insurance company didn't give me the discount until I called them. I had Lojack years ago and I got the 25% discount then. I explained to them that this is better than Lojack since you don't need a specially equipped police car to track the car. I believe they just asked for documentation from the Onstar Manual. I sent it to them and got the 25% discount. When I got the Malibu, they were already aware of this from the previous car, so I got the discount right away.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
Good info. The way I understand it is that the Malibu Theft-Deterrent systems consist of the Remote Keyless Entry key fob and PASS-Key transponder key both of which are standard except for fleet. The available discount depends on the insurance company and state. The same with OnStar.
The type of anti-theft system I'm referring to is what GM calls the "Content Theft Deterrent System". That's basically an Alarm System where if the car is broken into, an alarm goes off (the horn honks). My car has this feature. That's what the insurance company was interested in. This was not listed in the Car's VIN or on the Window Sticker.

I asked if this system is standard on the LS or LT1, because maybe the insurance company is getting the standard equipment from those models.
The Owner's Manual states that your car "may" have a content theft deterrent system. That leads me to believe that it's not standard across all models.

The way you know if your car has this feature is if you lock the doors with the remote key fob, the security light on the dash will illuminate, then flash once every 3 seconds. The system arms in 30 seconds if you hit the key fob once. If you hit it twice, it arms immediately.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
I asked if this system is standard on the LS or LT1, because maybe the insurance company is getting the standard equipment from those models.
The Owner's Manual states that your car "may" have a content theft deterrent system. That leads me to believe that it's not standard across all models.
It was indeed standard on my LS. Fleet vehicles like rentals are different. I remember renting a G6 (either 2009 or 2010 MY) last year that did not have a key fob. Then, the 2010 Impala I rented recently did not have the OnStar installed.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
It was indeed standard on my LS. Fleet vehicles like rentals are different. I remember renting a G6 (either 2009 or 2010 MY) last year that did not have a key fob. Then, the 2010 Impala I rented recently did not have the OnStar installed.
What I don't understand is why this was not listed in the car's VIN or on the window sticker. There's a saftey and security section on the window sticker and they mention nothing about the Content Theft Deterrent System or even Pass Key. With the price of insurance, every discount you get means a lot. If it wasn't for the dealer calling my insurance company, I wouldn't have gotten this discount.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
What I don't understand is why this was not listed in the car's VIN or on the window sticker. There's a saftey and security section on the window sticker and they mention nothing about the Content Theft Deterrent System or even Pass Key. With the price of insurance, every discount you get means a lot. If it wasn't for the dealer calling my insurance company, I wouldn't have gotten this discount.
Well, the copy of the build sheet I was given listed as standard:

Theft-Deterrent Alarm System: content theft alarm
Theft-Deterrent System: vehicle, PASS-Key III Plus

The window sticker would have to be three pages long to list all standard features in small point. I am not defending any entity, just stating the obvious.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 AM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
What I don't understand is why this was not listed in the car's VIN
VIN's do NOT show nearly every option a car has, just the main ones like trim and engine etc. Not sure who/what gave you this idea.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ View Post
VIN's do NOT show nearly every option a car has, just the main ones like trim and engine etc. Not sure who/what gave you this idea.
The Insurance Company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.