Windshield washer (fluid) - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Windshield washer (fluid)

One thing that is kinda annoying....idk if there is a fix for this or not....didnt find anything in a search...when you go to wash the windshield with the washer fluid the wipers wipe 4-5 times not just once...this has caused premature wear on my $20 each wiper blades...probably nothing I can do to change how many times it wipes...once....twice mabey but 4 times is too much...any ideas or thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 AM
CMF Honorary Member

Re: Windshield washer (fluid)

I've never owned a car that only wiped once after using the washer. IMO, 4-5 times isn't enough....

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

aggreed if the fluid was being sprayed at the same time....it goes 4-5 times after the spray stops buy the last wipe its so dry its chattering the whole time
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 PM
CMF Senior Member

I don't seem to have a problem with chattering from my wipers. I don't think, even with chattering, that this would cause noticeable or accelerated wear to your wipers. Typical wiper life is 6-12 months. I am fortunate that mine have lasted 18 months with no degradation noted. It is also really dependent on the solution your are using, if you use the bug removing washer fluids, this stuff will attack the rubber on your wipers and will substantially reduce the wiper life. I stick with the good old blue methanol based washer fluid in the summer and the prestone antifreeze washer fluid in the winter. Good Luck.

2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, Titanium Grey w/Black interior
2004 Lexus RX330 AWD, 3.3 V6 Metalic Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 PM
CMF Veteran Member

I treat my windshield with a spray detailer which really gives a smooth slick surface, never had any chattering with the Latitude wipers or the OEM's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

sry but i just dont like how it wipes that much hoped that there was a way to change it but that probably is not possible

EDIT: I have the Latitude wipers.....mabey i should try a treatment to the windshield

Last edited by kevinmaq; 12-26-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmaq View Post
sry but i just dont like how it wipes that much hoped that there was a way to change it but that probably is not possible
I agree. Five times is too much for me after the fluid has been sprayed. On my other GM vehicles, the blades wipe three times after the spray; I like that much better. Those extra two or three wipes only seem to accomplish spreading/smearing around any material not yet washed away by the fluid.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post
Those extra two or three wipes only seem to accomplish spreading/smearing around any material not yet washed away by the fluid.
EXACTLLY what i was getting annoyed by here in iowa with all the road grit and sand and salt and all the other crap that goes with winter driving
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Garage

I have a couple of ideas that could solve the issue, but it'll take some wiring.

Simple fix:
Find the orange wire for the washer leaving the wws (windshield wiper switch), cut it, then splice it into the orange wire leaving the BCM to the washer. Without a signal to the BCM that you're washing, there won't be a signal to wipe.

More elaborate fix:
Do the first fix above. Then, use the orange washer wire that you just hooked up (it provides a 12V signal) to operate the coil of an SPST relay. The 2 contacts on the relay are: 1. the gray wire (terminal E, not C) from the wws to the BCM for wiper action, and 2. a voltage matching the output of the wws gray wire when you select Mist, Low, or High, but not Intermittent. You would need to measure that voltage and duplicate it with a resistor. This solution gives you wiping the entire time you wash and it parks the wipers when done, without wiping until the rubber melts.

If you're up for it, there are two solutions for you.

NOTE: Terminal E is the signal to the BCM for wiper action. Terminal C is the 12V output to energize both the high-speed wiper relay and the On-Off relay. Caution: Both wires are gray! (Who the #@$! designed that?)

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
CMF Senior Member

I always end up hitting the single wipe control to get a few more wipes. As far as I am concerned it doesn't do enough to get the fluid off the windshield.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.