Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yet another brake thread

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Visioned 
#1 ·
Folks,

I need to replace the front rotors and pads on my Bu.

Rotors are rusted and pitted and I warped them this past weekend with some spirited driving in the Smoky Mountains :grin:.

I read through every thread I could find here on this topic and it looks like Brakemotive drilled & slotted are pretty popular.

However, can anyone shed light on their performance over a long period of time? Has anyone had them warp or crack?

I dont do any race or autocross events in this car. Mostly stop and go commute in traffic with maybe 2-3 spirited driving events a year.

Can I expect these to last about 50K miles like the OE brakes?

#2 ·
Drilled looks nice but reportedly weakens the rotor. Slotted is for removing gases generated by asbestos material, which nobody can legally use anymore.

At least slotted looks pretty decent and doesn't crack.

I can't recommend any brand over another as I don't have any experience other than using my stock rotors. Last year I had to replace the front pads after a "routine inspection" told me they had 8mm left but that was on the right wheel, outside pad. The inside pad was metal-to-metal! I was able to replace the pads after only about 100 miles of driving, mostly without having to brake, so the damage to the rotor was only slight.

I have about 95K miles now and still using the stock rotors. Someday I might get new ones, and if I do I'll be in the same boat as you, asking for any input.

#4 ·
I have Brakemotive rotors/pads on my Malibu, and this is my 3rd vehicle to use them. My Trailblazer currently has ~47K miles on them and they are feeling a bit soft so they will get changed soon. The Malibu has ~20K on them, and stop great. I do find that while I love them on the truck, they are quite loud on the Malibu, and were on my old Taurus too. I will most likely not use them again on the Bu just for the noise. Its a sort of deep humming you can feel through the car, but they stop great and seem to be lasting and wearing well. Whatever I use, they will be ceramic pads, and I will still go through the process of seating them properly, even though it makes me terribly car sick.

#5 · (Edited)
I have AC Delco Professionals and they are great. If you have time you can get these from amazon for $33 rotors on sale. When i got them they were cheaper then my local Napa with a work discount.

Also they a black protective coating that helps with rust/looks.

Edit: Picture came out like crap. Here is link https://amzn.com/w/3UAS2X3MNG4ML

Attachments

#6 ·
I have the brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors. I can second the loud humming sound they give off which gets old. Also, they seem to be shaking pretty good now. With the humming and shaking I won't be getting them again.

#8 ·
I think I put Wagner pads and rotors on mine. They were warped within 10k miles of putting them on. Stock rotors were warped when I bought the car with 130k, stock pads made it to about 160-170k if I remember right. Did new pads and rotors all the way around. They're wearing good so far. Up to 224k miles and still have good life left. But I won't get Wagner rotors again next time since they warped right away.

#9 ·
Had good results with Wagner TQ ceramic pads and Raybestos premium rotors. Wife has a heavy foot on both pedals so getting over 50k miles on the fronts is good IMO. This was the 2nd job on that combo. 'bu is at 157k miles now.
Just did the fronts on my Tahoe with Powerstop slotted / drilled zinc plated rotors and TQ pads. I'm tired of the rusting out on rotors before pads wear out so they are being tested on it. Some towing and exposure to winter salt so We'll see how they do. If they hold up then the zinc plated rotors will be my new go to rotor. Rock Auto is my parts source.
Removing the rust off the hubs so they mount flat and torqueing lug nuts helps a lot with warping.

#11 ·
I just got an email that says I can share a 5% discount code that is valid until 10/2/2016.

To use it, enter it in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.

#12 ·
I'm long time member / contributor on the Taurus Car Club site and over there they have a section for RA discounts. RA will even put up 5% codes there also.

#13 ·
I ended up with centric rotors on all 4 corners with Wagner TQ pads. I have put about 2000 miles on the combo and its great so far. Much much better braking than before (granted the old brakes were completely shot on the 4 corners) and very minimal brake dust.

#15 ·
I just installed the Wagner TQ pads on the front of mine today. I must say out of the box they are outstanding. No noise. Good stopping. The only thing im upset about is I paid 69.99 for them from O'Reillys and the same parts are only 30 bucks on amazon. Now they do include a lifetime warranty which is really nice as I may take them up on that. I am considering new rotors. Mine are rusting pretty bad but the braking surface is still good. Thickness is okay. But i digress. Brake wise these seem solid. Ill report back if i change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.