Help on removing drivers airbag on 2011 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Help on removing drivers airbag on 2011

Hey folks. I searched posts multiple times but could not find any instructions on removing the drivers airbag. I have the radio control module to add to my LS and need to get the bag off to do it. Thanks in advance if you can be of assistance.

Mike
Just Another Corporate Soldier...
Company 2011 LS...currently undergoing mods the Fleet folks don't know about...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:17 AM
ASE Certified Technician

Re: Help on removing drivers airbag on 2011

If you need more help or pictures that won't show, let me know. This is straight out of GM service information. Those springs are a lot stiffer than previous years so you'll lean on it pretty hard, did mine and they're tough to release. Doing it by the book, you'll disable the air bag system whuch can be done by pulling both air bag fuses in the BCM in the right side of the center console it looks like a fuse block but it's the BCM or simply disconnect the battery and wait one minute then you're good to go.

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement
Removal Procedure
Warning: When carrying an undeployed inflator module:

• Do not carry the inflator module by the wires or connector.

• Make sure the air bag opening points away from you.

When storing an undeployed inflator module:

• Make sure the air bag opening points away from the surface on which the inflator module rests.

• Provide free space for the air bag to expand in case of an accidental deployment.

• When storing a steering column, do not rest the column with the air bag opening facing down and the column vertical. Lay the column on its side.

Failure to observe these guidelines may result in personal injury.

Warning: Refer to SIR Warning in the Preface section.

Note: The steering wheel module uses stiffer springs to secure the module to the steering wheel which requires more effort to remove then the previous model. The technician should release the driver airbag module from one side only, not both sides at the same time.

Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.
Insert a 4 mm T handle Allen wrench, or equivalent tool with a blunt end through the access opening on either side of the steering wheel (1).
Insert the tool approximately 48 mm to contact the spring (2).

Once contact has been made with the spring, push the spring fastener inward approximately 5 mm to clear the steering wheel module (1) spring from the steering wheel retainer.

While keeping inboard pressure on the spring, with moderate pressure pull sharply on the steering wheel module (1) until disengaging the module (1) completely from the steering wheel.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Installation Procedure

Connect the electrical connectors (1).

Align the steering wheel module fasteners to the steering column fastener holes.
Push the steering wheel module (1) firmly into the steering column in order the engage the fasteners.
Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.
After replacing the module, fully deploy the old module before disposal.
If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Module Handling and Scrapping.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM
CMF Senior Member

-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
CMF Senior Member

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
CMF Senior Member

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM
CMF Senior Member

Now that I posted those pics, I should also add, you dont need to completly remove the airbag to install the radio controls. I didnt when I added them to my Aura or a friends Malibu. I just detached it from the wheel and layed it on top of the column. Swapped the harness and installed the controls.

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Low Saturn/Mike, those pics are perfect ! Thanks for the effort, it will make this painless for me.

Mike
Just Another Corporate Soldier...
Company 2011 LS...currently undergoing mods the Fleet folks don't know about...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.