Are You Happy With Hybrid? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Hi. I'm considering the 2017 Malibu Hybrid. Test drove the Malibu, Prius and Camry (all '17's) and the Malibu was best by far. Any head's-up for a prospective Malibu buyer are greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!
Mettaman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
dsblv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 68
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

I've owned my Malibu Hybrid for 6 months and I'm thrilled with the car. The hybrid performance is better than I'd hoped for. The car exceeds the expected gas mileage and provides smooth transitions between engine and battery. The Malibu drives more like a sports sedan than a hybrid. Chevy's done a great job with the information displays and the systems are easy to use. The build quality is superb and I've had no problems with my car. I owned Hondas before this and the Malibu Hybrid is better than any Honda I've owned.
AMJ likes this.
dsblv is offline  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:38 PM
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
What they said times 100. Really great car averaging 43 mpg. Couldn't be happier.
GrayHybreadMalibu is offline  
 
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:24 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: S.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Posts: 63
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsblv View Post
...The hybrid performance is better than I'd hoped for. The car exceeds the expected gas mileage...
Oh no! I'm buying a Hybrid to replace a car that exceeded mileage expectations...VW is buying it back from me. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
Dr. Manhattan is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:40 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 84
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
Oh no! I'm buying a Hybrid to replace a car that exceeded mileage expectations...VW is buying it back from me. I hope it doesn't happen again.
LOL, dieselgate! Well, you probably wont' be buying a new VW diesel in the near future.

I loved my TDI, except for the subcompact size.

FWIW, I'm getting slightly better mileage in my '16 Malibu hybrid than I was in my MK4 Jetta. Amazing considering the car is bigger, faster, quieter, and doesn't smell as bad.

In looking to replace the Jetta I test drove the Camry/ES, the Fusion Energi, Huyndai/Kia models, and the newer Jetta Hybrid.

So far, I'm thrilled with this car. I loved the Volt and seriously considered one. Only issue was that it was as tiny as my Jetta, which doesn't work for a 6'4" guy (me) and my two 6' tall teenage sons. The Malibu fits the four of us comfortably and drives quietly. It also accelerates nicely. I've had it about a month and 1300 miles.

See my sig for mileage. I regularly commute and was getting 38-40 mpg in the Jetta TDI.

Kai
2006 Avalanche | 2016 Malibu Hybrid

a turn signal is a statement, not a request
perfectreign is offline  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:54 AM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: S.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Posts: 63
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectreign View Post
LOL, dieselgate! Well, you probably wont' be buying a new VW diesel in the near future.

I loved my TDI, except for the subcompact size.

FWIW, I'm getting slightly better mileage in my '16 Malibu hybrid than I was in my MK4 Jetta. Amazing considering the car is bigger, faster, quieter, and doesn't smell as bad.

In looking to replace the Jetta I test drove the Camry/ES, the Fusion Energi, Huyndai/Kia models, and the newer Jetta Hybrid.

So far, I'm thrilled with this car. I loved the Volt and seriously considered one. Only issue was that it was as tiny as my Jetta, which doesn't work for a 6'4" guy (me) and my two 6' tall teenage sons. The Malibu fits the four of us comfortably and drives quietly. It also accelerates nicely. I've had it about a month and 1300 miles.

See my sig for mileage. I regularly commute and was getting 38-40 mpg in the Jetta TDI.
We bought our '11 Golf TDI 6-speed manual as our "trip" car, and it excelled in that capacity...usually returning 52-53mpg while on the road. On our last trip (we're in the Milwaukee area) out to Maine and back through Canada, it got 54.7! Over 6 years and 99,000 miles, its lifetime average is 44.7. Its considerable cargo space is easily accessed, it handles quite well, and it's reasonably quiet. Altogether, an excellent trip companion. But, VW's buy-back offer was too good to pass up, so what do we replace a car that is unique in its capabilities with? The first car I considered was a Jetta Hybrid, but after spending some time on that car's forums, I was afraid of the Jetta's transmission (lots of complaints/trouble). Plus, do I really want to reward VW for taking away the only car I've ever owned that I didn't grow tired of or even come to dislike? No. Since I flat out refuse to consider any of the Asian offerings, we test drove a Malibu Hybrid and were quite impressed. As with our new Volt, there are no transmission worries. The drive train is quite refined, as is the rest of the car. The interior has more people room than we're used to, and it's finished to a much higher standard, too. I'm sure we'll be satisfied with it, as soon as we adjust to the reduced cargo capacity and its comparatively poor headlights. The Golf has self-leveling, steerable H.I.D. high/lows, and fog lights that remain on with the high beams and also function as cornering lights. Those lights will be tough to live without with my aging eyes...

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 12-20-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Dr. Manhattan is offline  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 84
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
As with our new Volt, there are no transmission worries. The drive train is quite refined, as is the rest of the car.
I'd love to know more about the tranny. I cannot figure out if the engine actually drives the wheels or only the generator/electric engine like in the volt.

Kai
2006 Avalanche | 2016 Malibu Hybrid

a turn signal is a statement, not a request
perfectreign is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: S.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Posts: 63
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectreign View Post
I'd love to know more about the tranny. I cannot figure out if the engine actually drives the wheels or only the generator/electric engine like in the volt.
The car has a fixed, single final drive ratio of (if it's the same as the current Volt) 2.64:1. Whenever the car's road speed and the ICE's efficient operating speed dovetail, the ECM will determine whether or not it would be more efficient to physically connect the engine to the drive train, which it often does. The same is true of the gen2 Volt, by the way, when it is running in "Hold" (battery charge maintenance) mode or when its battery is "depleted". I can't begin to imagine how much work went into the development of the software for these cars...it must have been staggering.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
Dr. Manhattan is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:15 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 84
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
The car has a fixed, single final drive ratio of (if it's the same as the current Volt) 2.64:1..
Aha, so sort of like between first and second gear (if I were to compare) on many transmissions like my 4L80e on my Avalanche and the 02J on my recently departed Jetta TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
I can't begin to imagine how much work went into the development of the software for these cars...it must have been staggering.
Me either. I'm just amazed as I pay attention (but not too much attention) to the transfer of power between the ICE and the battery and then the regen process while I drive to work.

Kai
2006 Avalanche | 2016 Malibu Hybrid

a turn signal is a statement, not a request
perfectreign is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: S.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Posts: 63
Re: Are You Happy With Hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectreign View Post
Aha, so sort of like between first and second gear (if I were to compare) on many transmissions like my 4L80e on my Avalanche and the 02J on my recently departed Jetta TDI...
Actually, more like top gear. Remember, I'm talking about the overall final drive ratio, which means that the ICE cannot be directly connected at low vehicle speeds...it would be like trying to drive your Avalanche in top gear at 10mph. The engine would kill because it can't run below idle speed. That's why the Hybrid's ECM won't mechanically connect the ICE to the drive train until the car is moving fast enough. I'm sure there is someone (not me) on here that knows the actual minimum speed at which this can occur, but just for the sake of the discussion, let's say the minimum speed is around 40mph. Below that speed, if the ICE was coupled with the drive train, it might fall below idle speed (or whatever engine speed is useful for pulling the car or generating power) so it would be pointless or impractical to do so. Imagine if your Avalanche had no transmission at all...just whatever the final drive ratio was in the differential...and that the engine was mechanically fixed to the drive train. Now, how slowly could the car be driven before the engine would kill? That's what the Hybrid's ECM is dealing with regarding mechanical connection of the ICE to the drive wheels.

Bob
'17 Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 12-27-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Dr. Manhattan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Malibu Hybrid vs. 2017 Accord Hybrid dsblv General Discussion (Generation 9) 4 09-16-2016 11:32 PM
Day 1 - Black LTZ -happy happy happy bruceacox Malibu Ride Showoff (Generation 8) 9 06-23-2013 07:38 AM
Really happy with my Malibu blucenturion New Member Introduction 2 08-07-2012 04:14 AM
Happy to be Back! Crew New Member Introduction 14 02-28-2012 02:12 PM
Happy holidays. Silver LTZ General Discussion (Generation 7) 4 12-25-2009 08:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome