Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote start not working

82K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  tw photo qc 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2009 Malibu 2LT. For the past month the remote start and randomly not worked properly. I try to start it in the morning and it doesn't work, drive to work and go about my day. Walk out of work and start the car remotely. Go home, wake up the next morning and it doesn't start again. The hood isn't open, a code isn't thrown and so on. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Could it be a bum unit? I've sat in the car and tried to do a remote start and see the lights flash but there isn't even an attempt for the car to start. This is starting to suck because winter is almost here and the factory 36K warranty just ran out for me. :(

#3 ·
Factory battery. I also tried the other keyfob today which is never used and same thing. Both have factory batteries.

Just curious though, they work everything else that they should, is there a way that they aren't transmitting the full remote start signal or something? It just seems weird that the pre-start flash happens like it should.

I appreciate the reply and suggestion, I'll have to look into getting new batteries and see what happens.

#4 ·
While I don't have the remote start feature, I was having a similar problem with the remote lock function that cleared up when I replaced the battery. The other remote functions worked fine.

I don't know if replacing the battery will solve your problem, but it is a relatively inexpensive thing to try.

#6 ·
I have a 2010 Malibu ltz v6 with the remote start and hasn't glitched yet. However..... I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and I have the same problem. It does not work maybe every 10 tries. I noticed that if I start the truck with the key in the ignition like normal, the remote start will work for a while. My lights will light up like it is going to start, but the engine never turns over. Replaced the car battery and the keyfob battery. Did not help. It is prob something like a bad relay in the electronics. Loose fuse? Loose wire? Usually ends up being something simple. I have procrastinated on this issue, so I cant offer a solution, only possible causes. Good luck!

#7 ·
It may be an intermittent short in one of the door ajar sense circuits. Moisture (about that time of the year)? In order to test that theory, try unlocking all the doors and then relock them (with the key fob, of course). If it senses an open door, it'll pause a few second before locking (read the owner's manual on delayed locking). Or, it may shake it loose so the remote start will then work.

Also, if the warranty just ran out, you may want to call the GM customer service and ask if they could do anything for you.

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next time it has issues starting. Just got back from lunch and it remotely started. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the warranty ran out 2000 miles ago, so if it keeps acting up I'll give them a call and see what can be done. Has anyone tried that? If so, whats the process? Do they require you to pay the bill, then they reimburse you?

#11 ·
The solder that holds the battery tabs to the circuit board inside the remote likes to break on the newer style GM remotes. It is barely noticeable, but causes intermittent issues like this. Just the tension from the battery and the tabs causes the solder to break over time.

#12 ·
I used to have similar issue with one of my remote control: it didnot work intermittently. The frustration thing was whenever I planned to go to the dealer to complain, then it would work! So I decided to change the battery myself (CR 2032), and luckily for me it has worked consistently since then. I think it might not be the battery. It might be because the contact was loose.

#14 ·
had this problem. took to the dealer, figured it was the car and not the fobs, since it didnt work with both fobs. i was wrong, the fobs have a solder in them for the remote start and it is very weak, dealer opened them up and re soldered them and it works fine now.

#16 ·
It's the solder joints on the battery cage/contacts inside the remote on the circuit board. It's generally not a bad battery. Look closely at the solder joints on the battery cage/contacts where they meet the circuit board. There may be a fine crack on one or more of the solder joints. I saved myself a trip to the dealer by re-soldering these myself. This is not just a problem with the Malibu remotes, as this remote design is common to various GM vehicles.

#18 ·
I could be wrong but....it may have something to do with the way you lock the car when leaving. From what I know, if you single lock it then the next time you try to remote start it the lights will just flash and it won't start. You need to double click the lock button when locking your car

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.