Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racing at VIR (Virginia International Raceway)

15K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Fr3AkAzOiD 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT 2/26/13: Made up a spreadsheet to track my progress, figured I would add it here.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahjtu4ysCvs5dHVwTDhGQ05mOUJadThSU2taaTdNaEE&usp=sharing

Trackdaze was having a HPDE (high performance drivers education) course at VIR and I signed up for it several months back.

Other then changing the brake fluid and coolant as well as making sure I had enough life in the tires and brakes I did nothing to the car.

Arriving the night before for tech check in I saw nothing but high performance cars and was starting to worry what I had gotten myself into driving an '05 Malibu V6 with 152k miles on a racetrack with Corvettes, Mustangs, Vipers, Porsches, etc...

The next morning things were looking better as people who just drove up the morning of were checking in with cars like Integra Type R, Miata, 240sx, S2000, etc...

Still a little worried but got paired with a great instructor and learned very quickly that most of the people bringing their nice cars there didn't push the cars past 70% of it's ability. My Malibu being an extra car after getting my wife a new SUV a few months back was something I felt confident pushing to 90% of the cars ability 90% of the time.

Each time I went out my lap times just got faster and faster as I grew more comfortable with the track and the cars limits.
Passing was only allowed in the straits and by point-by only.
I was catching much faster cars in the corners as I was pushing much harder.
I was getting point-bys from Mustangs, Vettes, a Mercedes clk, Integra Type R. I kept up with with a brand new Subaru BRZ for over three laps till I had to let off the gas and give a point-by to a Mustang Boss 302 that had been gaining on me.

The second day I had a new Mustang 5.0 owner who used to track BMW m3s (5 years track experience but first time at VIR for him) say I was driving the hell out of the Malibu and it was hard for him to catch up. I had to admit to him it was my first time ever on a track and he was blown away with what I was doing with the Malibu.

Overall it was an awesome experience I would recommend to anyone and I think I'm going to replace the worn out tires and brakes currently on the car with better tires and brakes and track it again next year.

For anyone interested trackdaze.com, racesuitrental.com, LongRoadRacing (in Raleigh, NC), and nasaforums.com helped me prepare for the event.

I had four 30 min runs and here are my best times per outing.
Run 1: 2.55.568
Run 2: 2.50.696
Run 3: 2.49.172
Run 4: 2.45.588

Pics of my car and track map.

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
R compound tires are expensive, also i cant go too sticky with tires as even with almost three degrees of camber I still roll onto my sidewalls a tiny bit. I do however have a set of 200 treadwear street legal track (not race) tires I just purchased that I need to put on but need to get another 1/4 - 1/2 degree camber to make the most out ot them.

Custom springs and dampers would be a couple thousand dollars and knock me out of Time Trial Class F with NASA so no mods there.

I am mostly looking for a way to get my PCM tuned. For some reason all the programs i have found dont support the '04 - '06 3.5L.
I hit the 113 mph speed governor on each of the three straits at VIR.
Frustrating as hell slowly reeling in somone then all of a sudden I hit the computer limited max speed with a good bit of strait left and they start pulling away.

Sub 2 minutes is impossible for this and most other cars.
Just to give an idea, increasing my average speed through the entire track by 3 mph would only reduce my lap time from 2:29.5 to 2:24.0.

May I suggest that you put together a meet and invite CMF members who'd like to bring their own cars and see how often we get lapped?

:D

Doing what you're doing is on my bucket list!
"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
-Jim Rohn

We wouldnt run in the same class but just a ballpark guess based on my first lap times compared to what I am capable of now......assuming my first laps on a track would be similar to yours you would do 9 or 10 laps in a 30 min session at VIR and I would do 12 and probably be partway into lap 13.

I should be able to apply for my TT license early next year. Most organizations allow a passanger for ride alongs at that point as long as a racing (not motorcycle) helmet is available for the passanger.

#39 ·
R compound tires are expensive, also i cant go too sticky with tires as even with almost three degrees of camber I still roll onto my sidewalls a tiny bit. I do however have a set of 200 treadwear street legal track (not race) tires I just purchased that I need to put on but need to get another 1/4 - 1/2 degree camber to make the most out ot them.

Custom springs and dampers would be a couple thousand dollars and knock me out of Time Trial Class F with NASA so no mods there.

I am mostly looking for a way to get my PCM tuned. For some reason all the programs i have found dont support the '04 - '06 3.5L.
I hit the 113 mph speed governor on each of the three straits at VIR.
Frustrating as hell slowly reeling in somone then all of a sudden I hit the computer limited max speed with a good bit of strait left and they start pulling away.

Sub 2 minutes is impossible for this and most other cars.
Just to give an idea, increasing my average speed through the entire track by 3 mph would only reduce my lap time from 2:29.5 to 2:24.0.

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
-Jim Rohn

We wouldnt run in the same class but just a ballpark guess based on my first lap times compared to what I am capable of now......assuming my first laps on a track would be similar to yours you would do 9 or 10 laps in a 30 min session at VIR and I would do 12 and probably be partway into lap 13.

I should be able to apply for my TT license early next year. Most organizations allow a passanger for ride alongs at that point as long as a racing (not motorcycle) helmet is available for the passanger.
Once I get my car back (engine being replaced under PowerTrain Warranty) I'll have to see about making the trip, but first I gotta stop by cp's to get his bestest tune updated.

I'm curious because I absolutely have no clue: What were some of the biggest gains you made in reducing your lap times - was it changing how you drove, mechanical changes, or something else?

#41 ·
I would love to take a few laps to get somewhat familiar with the layout and then do my best to follow behind you and see if there was some way I could keep up with you. In case you're not aware, I have to reveal that I have a strut brace (can't really tell a difference), and not only have I lowered my 'Bu but it has KYB shocks on the front, however, it still has stock shocks on the rear. On a few select corners near work and elsewhere in this fair city ("fair" 'cuz it ain't good) I've gained about 10 mph over what I was willing to do prior to lowering it. Based on your comments I'd wager that with some training and practice I'd be better able to push that comfort level a bit further. By "some" I actually mean "a lot".

To really make it a road-course-capable car, though, I'd have to do what you've done and throw some camber adjustments at it and probably some other tweaks and goodies. I should buy a beater to commute and take this one to the track. To do that I need to get it paid off so I'm not endangering what the bank has an interest in, then get a trailer so it can get there and back no matter the condition. But I might be able to forego the trailer if the track is real close, then just call a tow truck if needed. Gotta cost less than a trailer!

I just thought of something you might consider trying but not sure if it'd work or worse, put you in "limp-home" mode. See about interrupting the VSS (vehicle speed sensor - for readers who don't know the term) and modifying the output at each wheel by a certain percentage, kinda like putting on bigger tires but not correcting the speedo. If you can fool the BCM into thinking you're going slower than you are then you'll be able to go faster in actuality while still staying under the limiter. All you really need is another 10-20 mph, right? Not sure if the VSS signal can be altered, or if so, how to do it, but it's an idea.

#42 · (Edited)
I don't bother with a trailer.
I have AAA and am within my one free tow a year range of VIR. Fortunately have not needed to use it yet.

If something happened at another track I am fairly sure I could bum a ride to town to rent a Uhaul truck and trailer to get it home myself.

How much of a drop do you have?
What are the spring rates stock and those of the lowering spring?

Just a heads up, you would want at least 2.25 degree camber up front and 1.5 rear to run a road course with Street tires.

I run 3 up front and 1.8 rear.

#43 ·
I'm definitely an enthusiast like you, but I'm not like you when it comes to knowing what the specs are on those parts. I haven't even looked to see if there has been an alignment on my car or not.

The stock springs are still on the stock struts (couldn't get them apart so bought new KYBs), and the lowering springs are Eibach that lower it 1.4", which should be about 36mm. The front and rear lowering springs are progressive as were the stockers. One big change when installing them was moving from a plastic sway bar link to a metal one. (Yes, plastic! SMH!) I don't know the spring rates, sorry.

I was discussing the idea of track days with a buddy last night and there might be one near here, and another possibly about an hour away. I'll have to start looking around.

I'll see if there has been an alignment check and if there are any notes about the specs. With the car lowered the rears are very slightly tipped in at the top (negative camber) and do not seem to be unduly wearing the inner edges at all, so it must be very little. Is your camber positive or negative?

After lowering it I noticed that the steering is less centered, meaning that on the road I now have to pay a little more attention to keeping it centered in my lane, but it does not drift into other lanes. The wheel is slightly turned to the left between the 11 and 12 o'clock positions. I might need a bit of a toe adjustment to cure that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.