Fuel Filter Change on a 2000 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Fuel Filter Change on a 2000

I purchased a fuel filter for my 2000 malibu V6 with intentions of changing it myself, but thought i would ask for some pointers before i dive into it. i've done it on older cars, but everything tends to be more complicated as cars get newer. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Re: Fuel Filter Change on a 2000

anyone have anything??
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Hmmm... I've never personally done it, but from what I have read...

It is located pretty much right on top of the fuel tank. It is reachable and you do not need to remove the tank... but I have seen twice that you need some kinda special tool.
Good luck.

My Malibu Family:
- 2016 Malibu Premier 2.0T - Trifecta Tuned, 4% Tint - all windows, Debadged, Metallic Black painted emblems
- 2013 Malibu LTZ - 5% Tint - all windows, K&N Air Intake system, all Interior/Exterior bulbs switched to LED, Tinted taillights
- 2008 Malibu LTZ - 20", 8k/3k HIDS, Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, 8% Tint
Old Truck: 2011 F150 Twin Turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Electric dump, Intake, 10,000 lumens of Rigid LED lights
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
CMF Senior Member

i just did my fuel filter on my 03. the fuel filter is located right behind the gas tank. check right behind it and it should be up right next to the floor panels. before you attempt to change it, disconnect the negative cable from the battery, take off the gas cap, and bleed the system. to bleed the system, take a very small screw driver and cloth, go to the motor. where the system gets bled, which is on the fuel rail, next to the power steering reservoir, take the cap off and very softly stick the screw driver with the cloth on it and youll start to hear the hissing. no back to the filter, you have a clip and a bolt that hold it in. the clip is for the line that runs from the fuel tank. the bolt is to the line that runs to engine. twice the filter a little bit, so it relieves a little more pressure (if theres any). be careful cause a little fuel will spill out. start with the clip (which is pretty easy). after unclipping it, try the bolt which will be a huge pain. it has an arrow on the new filter (youve said you changed this so i dont think youll have much of a problem. when done, bolt it back up, then clip it, then make sure the cap for the fuel rail is on, connect the battery and close the gas cap. the pressure will built back up and bam your done. good luck
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
CMF Senior Member

o and the if you have a fuel gauge with a drain off valve for bleeding the system, thats better than the screw driver
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

thanks. i'll get on it next weekend.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Somebody help me! I have changed the fuel filter on my wifes 01 malibu ls and I cant get it to stop leaking. It leaks from the inlet side. I have tried 2 new filters, new clips and o-rings. I cant get the leak to stop.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
CMF Senior Member

man thats a tough one, it might be the line. Make sure its not torn, scratched, or no damage.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
CMF Senior Member

Did you damage the line or the clip that snaps into the connection? The inlet line is only plastic and can be damaged if not careful. What about the O- ring on the inlet line, was it still there?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

i'm back...i procrastinated until today when I went to change it. I did all the necessary steps - I released the pressure on the fuel rail and opened the gas cap, but taking the clip off resulted in fuel pouring out. I let it go for a bit because i expected it to stop, but it just kept on coming. Am i missing something or do i just need to be extra fast??, which is hard to do with such a small space to work with. Due to only having limited time I put everything back and decided to procrastinate a little longer until i find the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.