Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

06' malibu transmission Fluid

30K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sc2dave 
#1 ·
I need to add transmission fluid and I can't seem to figure out where I can check the level of the current fluid and where to add it. It's a 2006 malibu V6 3.5, any information about this would be appreciated

#2 · (Edited)
The 4 speed transmission does not have a dip stick. On top of the transmission, near the shifter input cable is a plastic cap. Remove this to add fluid. It helps to have a long neck funnel. The fluid level is checked after the transmission has been warmed up and run through all the gears and left running in park. Problem is the car has to be jacked up and level. You then go underneath and remove a plug from the transmission. You fill until it just starts to come out of this hole.

Your transmission probably looks like this
http://etereman.com/blog/general-mo...4t45e-transmissions-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly

First check to confirm this is the transmission you have.

#4 ·
Why do you think it needs more fluid?

If you are going to mess with it have a mechanic service it.
One of the few times I will actualy give that advice.

If your thinking of doing a first flush and filter and the car has high mileage or old age (which all our cars are) just leave it alone, you will only make it worse. Verifying correct fluid level is ok though.

If flushes have been done before (every 5 years/80k miles for me) you can keep having them done.

#6 ·
If you only change the fluid and clean the pan, you should be ok. I wouldn't have it flushed as the machines they use to flush may apply more pressure to the internals than it had been used to and cause you issues.

Personally, I have not had any of my transmissions flushed, just a drain fill (ok the filters replaced and pan cleaned as well). and have never had any transmission related failures. With the modern synthetic fluids, I have it done every 50,000 miles. My Malibu is less than 14,000 away from it's 3rd change and I have 186,000+ miles on the odometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.