How do you fill the V6 radiator? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

How do you fill the V6 radiator?

'06 SS. Flushing the coolant.
1) I opened the petcock and drained out the old stuff, no problem. But how do I get new coolant into the radiator without a radiator cap?
2) The manual says it should hold about 2.5 gallons but I was only able to pour 1 gallon into the overflow bottle and now that's completely full.
3) I idled the car for a few minutes, hoping the water pump might pump the water out of the plastic bottle and into the radiator, but the level hasn't gone down any. While the car was idling, the skinny hose going into the top of the plastic bottle was recirculating water back the entire time.

Since I'm still 1.5 gallons low, it feels like I have a gallon of water circulating from the plastic overflow bottle, through the engine, and back without ever going into the radiator. Of course the "low coolant" message is on this entire time.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a secret radiator cap for getting the full 2.5 gallons into the radiator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: How do you fill the V6 radiator?

No radiator cap - use the expansion tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
No radiator cap - use the expansion tank.
I did. How do I get the water to go from the expansion tank into the radiator?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Garage

It's supposed to burp itself, but usually doesn't. With the cap off, run the engine and keep topping it off until it stops burping air.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM
CMF Junior Member

Let it idle until it gets to operating temperature, the thermostat won't open otherwise. Once the thermostat opens it will circulate through the block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.