Nitrogen vs Air in your tires - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Nitrogen vs Air in your tires

I use air. Always have.

My issue with pure nitrogen is that air is 78% nitrogen, I don't think there is enough difference between them to make a difference. Most people will replace the tires before oxidation inside causes an issue. Remember the treads are still exposed to the elements. What makes sense in racing doesn't always make sense on the street.

As far as mileage difference after changing tires, I experienced that issue when I replaced the tires on my Colorado. The new tires are a different formulation of the rubber compounds (different manufacturer) and I lost 2 MPG afterwards. What I lost in mileage from the General tires that GM put on the truck, I more than make up for in handling and wet weather capabilities with the Firestone tires that I replaced them with.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity"
-Abraham Lincoln

'06 Malibu Maxx 2LT (Wife's car)
'09 Colorado WT1 (My truck)

Last edited by Unfettered; 12-17-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:10 AM
CMF Rookie Member

My next ones may use neither...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airless%2520Tire%25202.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	29849  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I believe that tire is technically still filled with air. :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

What they need to do is design it so it becomes a fan (aka air pump), then direct the output to blow downstream into the exhaust, helping to evacuate the gases. Might need to upsize the pipes to account for increased air volume.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Let's assume all the claims of nitrogen filled are true. Regular air is 78% nitrogen. So if the big advantage is the larger nitrogen molecule doesn't leak out, how bout instead I fill the tire with regular old air, and then by the second, as the non-nitrogen molecules leak out the percentage of nitrogen in my tires will be higher and tada, nitrogen filled tires.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
I'll happily believe that you got improved pressure retention/stability, but getting better tire wear, handling, and MPG would literally defy physics. Those things are only affected by pressure, and 35 psi is the same 35 psi no matter what gas fills the tires.

Food for thought:
-Improved MPG requires higher air pressure (harder tire = less rolling resistance).
-Improved handling requires lower air pressure (increased contact patch).
-Improved wear depends on the specific tire model's goldilocks pressure.
I thought all the claims for handling were false until I switched to nitrogen and saw it for my self. I know the wear pattern was different after refilling with nitrogen, my assumption on why handling and mpg's were better was less pressure changes while driving. I drove the car fast and really pushed it to the limits on corners.

10 Malibu 1LT
'14 Traverse 1LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.