Nitrogen vs Air in your tires - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Cool Nitrogen vs Air in your tires

I happened upon this video this evening as I was perusing YouTube.

Warning: There is some language but it's kept pretty much under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCnWvMleVD0

So, how do you feel about nitrogen in your tires? Are you for it or do you prefer to use air?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:42 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Nitrogen vs Air in your tires

Nice video!
I use air.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
CMF Rookie Member

We used Nitrogen in racing. Benefit was less pressure buildup over the course of a run. Less buildup lead to more predictable handling and less dramatic change in handling. Regular air would typically gain approx. 5lbs of pressure, with tire temperatures between 250 and 300*F. Nitrogen under the same circumstances would gain between 2-3lbs. As stated in the video it was a small gain, but over the course of 50-100 laps that could translate to a lot.

Daily driving is FAR from racing, benefit vs. cost is in that situation is no where near what it is in racing. You only need air for tires in your car.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 PM
CMF Junior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpro56 View Post
We used Nitrogen in racing. Benefit was less pressure buildup over the course of a run. Less buildup lead to more predictable handling and less dramatic change in handling. Regular air would typically gain approx. 5lbs of pressure, with tire temperatures between 250 and 300*F. Nitrogen under the same circumstances would gain between 2-3lbs. As stated in the video it was a small gain, but over the course of 50-100 laps that could translate to a lot.

Daily driving is FAR from racing, benefit vs. cost is in that situation is no where near what it is in racing. You only need air for tires in your car.
Yup, I agree!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I was unaware people were claiming handling and grip advantages. SMH!

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:33 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

I started filling mine with Smuckers grape jelly. The handling is incredible and it never loses any pressure through leakage it's just too thick to permeate the rubber.

An added benefit is if you are on a long trip or get stranded and you're hungry just get out there and wrap your quivering hungry lips around the valve stem and enjoy a nice treat.

Thank you and good night!

2015 Impala 2LT
V6 305hp/264tq
Conv PKG
Adv Safety PKG
Sunroof
50/35 Suntek CXP tint

RIP

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
May 2012-Aug 2015

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

They also claim less oxidation inside the tire and therefore less rotting, less or no rust on rims, fewer issues with TPMS sensors (that actually sounds reasonable!), more stable temps, better handling, better grip, less tire wear, less permeation of the rubber carcass due to a larger nitrogen molecule.

I'm sure I missed a few, but there's a good list to get started.

I'm gonna save my money.

One of the things they didn't really cover in any of the videos I've watched is how to get all of the oxygen and moisture out once it's inside. It just ain't possible to do that without inflating it with nitrogen during mounting.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 PM
CMF Senior Member

When we bought my wife's Subaru, the tires came filled with nitrogen, and for that first 11,000 miles, the tire pressure light never came on, but after the tires were changed and filled with air, I have to watch the tire pressure more closely... The car also seemed to get better mileage with the old tires... I think during the first 5k, it got around 33.5mpg, and now it's down to 31 or so.., maybe she's driving faster though, I'm not sure... I use air(and probably don't check often enough)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

I used to use nitrogen and always had better tire pressure stability and tire wear. I won't pay extra for nitrogen so I have been using air. On my old CRX I did see some MPG gains and better handling when switching to nitrogen.

10 Malibu 1LT
'14 Traverse 1LT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Freak5150 View Post
I used to use nitrogen and always had better tire pressure stability and tire wear. I won't pay extra for nitrogen so I have been using air. On my old CRX I did see some MPG gains and better handling when switching to nitrogen.
I'll happily believe that you got improved pressure retention/stability, but getting better tire wear, handling, and MPG would literally defy physics. Those things are only affected by pressure, and 35 psi is the same 35 psi no matter what gas fills the tires.

Food for thought:
-Improved MPG requires higher air pressure (harder tire = less rolling resistance).
-Improved handling requires lower air pressure (increased contact patch).
-Improved wear depends on the specific tire model's goldilocks pressure.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
HPTuners - Tune In Progress (V4.12) - 14.36 @ 98 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.