Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Center Console Squeaking and Creaking

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bamorris2 
#1 · (Edited)
2011 LTZ with about 15,000 miles

I notice that my center console armrest squeaks and creaks when I put my arm on it (when any pressure is applied). I used to have a Ford Fusion that did the same thing. I cured it by replacing the small felt pads at the contact points. But in the Malibu, I only see two rubber bump stops that appear to be ok. It's kind of hard to determine what part of the console the noise is coming from (front/center/rear of armrest). So I'm wondering if anyone else notices this with their Malibu. Is it normal, or is there something that I can do to address it?

#2 ·
Annoying for sure, but since you're still in B2B take it in and let the dealership help you out if you can spare the time.

#4 ·
2011 LTZ with about 15,000 miles

I notice that my center console armrest squeaks and creaks when I put my arm on it (when any pressure is applied). I used to have a Ford Fusion that did the same thing. I cured it by replacing the small felt pads at the contact points. But in the Malibu, I only see two rubber bump stops that appear to be ok. It's kind of hard to determine what part of the console the noise is coming from (front/center/rear of armrest). So I'm wondering if anyone else notices this with their Malibu. Is it normal, or is there something that I can do to address it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8eXJ0dLXE&feature=plcp
I agree with DrivenDaily about getting the vehicle to the dealership since you are still within the Bumper to Bumper parameters. I realize this is a huge inconvenience, but to have your concerns documented is a great help if needed in the future.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#5 ·
Thank you everyone. As it's very difficult with my schedule to get into the dealership, I ventured out to solve the problem myself. I found out that the noise was being made by the inner upper lid cover contacting the inside of the lid itself (kinda hard to explain). It was the inside trim panel cover. It's plastic on plastic with nothing to buffer the contact. I removed the panel cover and lightly coated the contact points with some dielectric grease. Reassembled it, and it's much better. I would say about 95% of the noise is gone. Overall I'm satisfied enough to where it doesn't bother me anymore. Time will tell, but this may be a maintenance item... I hope not, but maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.