Stalling, ESC and TC lights - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9
Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Hello I am an owner of a 2009 Malibu and I am having the worst time with stalling, shutting off and the esc and tc light coming on. It really stalls when its really cold outside and it acts like it wants to stop while driving. When I first noticed it I was turning and now it happens while I am driving. The ESC and TC lights came on so I took it to the dealer, they scanned it and the traction switch was bad. Because it was an intermittent problem they couldn't tell me anything else. I replaced the switch. Two weeks later doing same thing and now engine check light is on. Took to dealer traction switch code was gone. Scanned again and now map sensor code was coming up. Long story short I replaced the map sensor. The problem still exist and I am starting to hate my 2009 Chevy Malibu! Know one can tell me what the problem is and I am spending money on parts and its not fixing the problem. Please help... Frustrated Malibu owner.
Reallove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Administrator
 
DrivenDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,626
Garage
Re: New member

Moved from New Member Intro area ...

... since you're not really introducing yourself, your seeking input on a problem ...


Look up the issue using Search and see if unplugging and re-plugging the BCM will do the trick. (Read it first!)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DrivenDaily is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
ASE Certified Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,448
Re: New member

Drive to autozone, have them read the current codes for free, write them down & report back here with the exact code numbers-not an interpretation of them by an autozone store clerk.

There is no traction control switch trouble code per se. There are three MAP sensor trouble codes.

Also, if you know the other codes that it has popped lately, give me those.

Last edited by greenman; 01-15-2013 at 09:26 PM.
greenman is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9
Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Thank you. My check engine light came on again and I went to autozone the code it is reading now is P0106. Prior to that it was P0107 and C0561. When the dealer got the code of C0561 they told me it was the code to change the traction switch. I did that it did not fix the problem. Then the code P0107 next and the dealer said it was the MAP sensor. Still having same issue. Now the code from autozone is P0106. I am confused and feel misled by the dealer because from what I was told there is not code for the traction switch.
Reallove is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9
Re: New member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Moved from New Member Intro area ...

... since you're not really introducing yourself, your seeking input on a problem ...


Look up the issue using Search and see if unplugging and re-plugging the BCM will do the trick. (Read it first!)
Thank you and I apologize.
Reallove is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
ASE Certified Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,448
Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Firstly, these are likely unrelated issues.

C0561:
I know exactly why they reached the conclusion to change the traction control switch based on that C0561. There's a bulletin out that would lead you to that conclusion unfortunately that fix won't always be the right fix. Now, one problem you have is the car may still be reporting a C0561 code but you won't know it because the code readers they use at autozone can't read any codes that aren't OBD2 codes. But let's assume for now that was the right fix & that issue was corrected.

P0106 & P0107:
Since you've already swapped out the MAP sensor & are still getting a MAP sensor code your problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor. A visual inspection may reveal the problem (usually easier said than done) or that circuit will need to be tested for a fault. That is generally not something most people can do themselves.
greenman is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9
Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Firstly, these are likely unrelated issues.

C0561:
I know exactly why they reached the conclusion to change the traction control switch based on that C0561. There's a bulletin out that would lead you to that conclusion unfortunately that fix won't always be the right fix. Now, one problem you have is the car may still be reporting a C0561 code but you won't know it because the code readers they use at autozone can't read any codes that aren't OBD2 codes. But let's assume for now that was the right fix & that issue was corrected.

P0106 & P0107:
Since you've already swapped out the MAP sensor & are still getting a MAP sensor code your problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor. A visual inspection may reveal the problem (usually easier said than done) or that circuit will need to be tested for a fault. That is generally not something most people can do themselves.

Ok I see... So now that we now know that may be the problem should I take it to a mechanic to get it visually inspected or should they scan it again? It sounds like an easy fix so what do you suggest I do at this moment because I want to sleep again not worrying about this issue. Thank you so much for your help. This has helped me a lot because I wasn't getting anywhere with my local dealer and they have been giving me the run around.
Reallove is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
ASE Certified Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,448
Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallove View Post
Ok I see... So now that we now know that may be the problem should I take it to a mechanic to get it visually inspected or should they scan it again? It sounds like an easy fix so what do you suggest I do at this moment because I want to sleep again not worrying about this issue.
Finding a problem in a wire loom can be pretty time (read: money) intensive. Hopefully the problem is with the MAP sensor connector or close to it. If not, a dealer mechanic will probably want to swap out the harness which is not an inexpensive thing to do. A non-dealer shop will usually end up costing less but not always. Don't know what else to tell you.
greenman is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
CMF Senior Member
 
repairman54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montague, NJ
Posts: 157
Garage
Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Reseat the connectors.
If he had advanced scanning capabilites I'd bet on a communication error code coming up. That's what tipped me off on reseating my connectors to cure my ESC and TC warnings along with my brake lights coming on by themselves.
This CAN stuff is sensitive.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold
repairman54 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9
Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Finding a problem in a wire loom can be pretty time (read: money) intensive. Hopefully the problem is with the MAP sensor connector or close to it. If not, a dealer mechanic will probably want to swap out the harness which is not an inexpensive thing to do. A non-dealer shop will usually end up costing less but not always. Don't know what else to tell you.
OK thank you. I will try again and see what happens.
Reallove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermittent Stalling After Start Mark C Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 4 12-26-2011 04:33 PM
stalling out newfieprincess Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 3 11-11-2010 04:39 PM
car stalling djlheat General Discussion (Generation 7) 5 12-10-2009 11:31 AM
car keeps stalling jj71787 General Discussion (Generation 7) 6 09-13-2009 10:36 AM
Engine stalling all of a sudden. elie2wins Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 6 03-23-2009 10:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome