Steering Column Rattle - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Steering Column Rattle

My 08 Malibu 2LT with 11,000 miles has developed a rattle from the steering column that occurs at any speed when the steering wheel is in the neutral (straight ahead) position. When the wheel is turned the rattle goes away.

Northern California dealer says that Chevrolet is aware of the problem and is coming out with a fix in a couple of months, something about a loose connection. Told the rattle is not dangerous and will not cause loss of steering and to wait for the fix.

Anyone experiencing the same? Thanks for the input.

Jfry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Steering Column Rattle

Hello... I just started experiencing the same thing! It started this weekend and my Bu is also at 11K miles. I really hear it when I hit a bump or something. Sounds like a screw or something has fallen out in there! Let me know if you hear anything else.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
CMF Senior Member

anyone have a little bump, or knocking sound from the steering column when they hit a bump, or go over a transition when youre turning?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2019 View Post
anyone have a little bump, or knocking sound from the steering column when they hit a bump, or go over a transition when youre turning?
Could very well be the intermediate steering shaft that a lot of cars with this platform and the hydraulic steering have had issues with, particularly the Aura (as well as the last gen full size GM trucks, some W-body cars, etc.). It typically presents itself as a varied rattle, clunk, or other knock in the steering over bumps and/or when turning.

Or something else, but this is the typical--the Aura guys know it well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Momma wanted some power...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dark Gray Metallic, Titanium UltraLux

The new ride...

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
CMF Junior Member

well, if it is a electronic column, like the older malibus, then you will need the column replaced. each item has its own noise. it is very hard to explain each one, but when you drive them and diagnose the car, it is usually obvious which item is the problem. could be several things, but i would put money on the column rattle. easiest way to find out, if it is equipped with a EPS system, you can disconnect the fuse for it. should be like a 100 amp fuse or 80 amp, or something like it. rediculous number. if the noise goes away then you will know its the column. note - when you do this, it will throw a code. so you may have to disconnect the battery to clear out the codes.
or you can use a scan tool. also you wont have any power assist when you have it disconnected, so be careful.

if not the column, then i would definitely agree with everyone else, the steering shaft is probably the next place i would go.

ASE Master Certified Technician

currently driving- 09 Chevy Impala LT, 83 Chevy Camaro Z28
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
CMF Junior Member

I'm pretty sure it's the intermediate steering shaft. This was going on with my 2000 Cavalier. I went to the dealership about 3 times to fix it. It seems to happened every 20,000 miles. I drive a government impala at work and it has around 11,000 on it and it started to do it too. I was told in the past it has something to do with the grease on the shaft. It dries up and starts making to noise.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
JWW
CMF Junior Member

My '09 has a clunking rattle somewhere underneath up front and it started at around 3,000 miles. I can't feel anything in the steering column though. Can you guys feel this 'clunk' in the steering wheel when you hear it?

'09 Malibu 2LT 2.4 6A Red Jewel Tint
checkmate-boats.com forum moderator
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:49 PM
CMF Junior Member

yes, you can feel it, but each item has its own feel, be it in the floor board, in the steering wheel, or just a weird clunk with a full feel to it, everything is different.
several items you can feel through the steering wheel. this will narrow it down to multiple items. if its in the floor board then its usually control arm bushings, or ball joints. or sway bar links. same can be said if its felt through the wheel at times. also each item has its own resonance, and frequency at which it clunks at, thus giving you a dull noise, or a pop, or bang, or a rattle, etc... knowing what item to chase comes from experience, and patience.

ASE Master Certified Technician

currently driving- 09 Chevy Impala LT, 83 Chevy Camaro Z28
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 AM
JWW
CMF Junior Member

Interesting. Whatever my clunk/rattle is, you cannot feel it. I wonder if it's a bad or loose shock. One of these days I'll take it in and find out if a mechanic can figure it out.

'09 Malibu 2LT 2.4 6A Red Jewel Tint
checkmate-boats.com forum moderator
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
CMF Junior Member

I had a similar problem shortly after I purchased my new Impala in '05, after about 6000 miles. It turned out they replaced the steering column. After that, no more problems.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.