Condensation in Headlights - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Condensation in Headlights

Today I noticed that there is condensation in both of my headlights. Anyone else notice this happening on theirs? This is the first time I have noticed any. It shouldn't be happening should it? I thought they were supposed to be sealed. My last car had seals on the caps but I wouldn't know with the Malibu because you can't see them without ripping the front end apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Condensation in Headlights

None of these car have sealed headlights, there's an air vent on them and it is possible that condensation can get in there, a little is no problem but if the headlight has standing water in the bottom then there's something wrong, I.E. cracked or broken seal or damage to the rear of the housing.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:49 PM
CMF Veteran Member

I've been thinking for a while that the lights on mom's '08 looked slightly fogged, ever so faintly, whether it be on the inside or out--especially once I got my '09 and could do a side by side comparo.

Her '08 (very slight, kinda cloudy upper half...easier to notice in person):

My '09:

Then yesterday while washing hers, the horror, I noticed the passenger's side light all of a sudden (it may have been like this for a little while, but not long) had quite a bit of moisture on 2 large areas inside the lense. I wondered if it might dissipate at all with sunlight and warmth today but, no dice, it almost seems more noticeable after a dry day.

So yeah, one of ours now has the same issue. Once she finds out it will likely head in and I presume a replacement of the assembly. 2 cars ago, she had an '02 Avalanche that developed the exact same kind of moisture in one of the lower foglights and that was the remedy.

'10 Camaro 2LT RS
Momma wanted some power...

'08 Malibu 2LT 4-cyl...TRADED
Dark Gray Metallic, Titanium UltraLux

'09 Malibu 2LT V6...TRADED
MPGTune.com Mileage History
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Let us know what the dealer says. I'll wait until mine gets really bad before I take it in. With my luck they'll tell me its normal.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:40 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Let us know what the dealer says. I'll wait until mine gets really bad before I take it in. With my luck they'll tell me its normal.
These things are generally pretty simple when it comes to moisture in the lights. Unless there's a clear TSB, etc. from GM saying something just needs cleaned or sealed, replacement is the norm. At least I'd assume the same will be true here. Not my car and I'm still surprised I'm the only one who's noticed it, so I'll let it hang too until then.

Now...anyone else but just the 2 of our cars out there with wet headlights, inside?

'10 Camaro 2LT RS

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
CMF Senior Member

I am having the same problem in both headlights. The moisture is showing up like in your picture, beach; along the side of the front blinker and above it.

We had a good rain here and I touch-free washed the car and it got even worse. At night, after I am done driving long distances with the head lights on, the moister is built up in larger droplets near the high beams and the entire assembly seems fogged over like an old Dodge Neon.

I brought it up when I got my oil serviced a few weeks ago and they said that it was normal (of course, it always is!) and that when it starts drying up it'll go away. I have had this problem since October, and we had nearly a month-long period with no rain and I did not wash it and it never went away.

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS
  • LS means "Luxury Sport" to me!
  • 4spd Automatic 2.4litre 4-cylinder
  • 35% Tint Front
  • 20% Tint Back

"I wanna go fast. Really really nasty, kinda sexy, fast."
Build - 04/08 Orion - Michigan, Better than the Desert!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to TMoneyR523 Send a message via Skype™ to TMoneyR523

No moisture in mine yet! Thank God.. I'm glad to see these pics though.. not because of the moisture but you notice how the headlight has a blue surrounding? I was worried mine was all screwed up!

Good luck with your investigation though.

2008 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT V6
Black Granite Metallic, Ebony UltraLux
HFV6 Engine Package, Premium Mats, Sunroof
Built: Fairfax Assembly Centre - Kansas City, Kansas.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Glow View Post
None of these car have sealed headlights, there's an air vent on them and it is possible that condensation can get in there, a little is no problem but if the headlight has standing water in the bottom then there's something wrong, I.E. cracked or broken seal or damage to the rear of the housing.
For most of cars and trucks that have the daytime running lights you will see condensation after the headlights have cooled down from them being on. This happens with most of them that have the DRL system, some not as much as others. Remember what happens when glass or plastic cools down from a warm temperature to a cold temperature, condensation forms. So when they say it's normal on this they are not joking, and as I've mentioned there is a vent on these housings.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Another week of sun, cold, warmth and lots of driving daytime & at night with the lights on, and the passenger's side light depicted above on our '08 looks exactly the same. I noticed it again today as I was backing down the driveway towards it.

Not normal, I'd say, just like it wasn't with our Avalanche's fog light. It'll eventually make it to the dealer, but no rush in the meantime.

'10 Camaro 2LT RS

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
CMF Senior Member

I cannot see how condensation is normal. However, I have spoken to a friend's father whom is a mechanic. He told me it looked like the seals where the lights are (he said that, by the markings, it could be any lights since I drive with lights on always) need to be replaced or do not fit properly. I asked him about "air vents" or some other slits or holes aside from where the bulbs go in and he laughed and asked "Why would you have those?"

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS
  • LS means "Luxury Sport" to me!
  • 4spd Automatic 2.4litre 4-cylinder
  • 35% Tint Front
  • 20% Tint Back

"I wanna go fast. Really really nasty, kinda sexy, fast."
Build - 04/08 Orion - Michigan, Better than the Desert!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.