05 Malibu Maxx Shifter Problem - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

05 Malibu Maxx Shifter Problem

I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx. I have an issue when I try to use the manual shift mode.
Sometimes when I shift to "L" and try to use it, it doesn't work.

I've been looking for what might be wrong and found a TSB for "loose shifter knob" (TSB 708, NHTSA 10016455).
I also found what seems to be a solution to the problem, but I'm not sure how the whole shift knob would affect the button on the side.
Here is a website I found with what I think may be my answer:http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/che...5173DLAS9A/p78
(it's a quote in # 1567)

Anyone know if this is what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: 05 Malibu Maxx Shifter Problem

No this won't have anything to do with the manual shift mode. Why in the first place are you wanting to use the manual mode?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Glow View Post
No this won't have anything to do with the manual shift mode.
Ok, I didn't think it did anyways. I can't remember what it was that I read that lead me to beleive this.

Quote:
Why in the first place are you wanting to use the manual mode?
I just want to know that everything in may car works if/when I ever need it.

I'm not quite sure what to do. I left a message for my service advisor the other day and she still hasn't gotten back to me.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
No this won't have anything to do with the manual shift mode. Why in the first place are you wanting to use the manual mode?
Driving in snow, downshifting in a curve..etc. Manual mode is the way to do it in that generation (as well as the current).

1999 Honda Prelude base, 5 speed
2008 Toyota Yaris 4 door hatchback, auto
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Driving in snow, downshifting in a curve..etc. Manual mode is the way to do it in that generation (as well as the current).
I wouldn't suggest drivng your car like that in any kind of weather. There is really no need to do this. Why do you think these are called AUTOMATICS! The computer gets info from sensors to tell it what is the correct gear to have the trans in as you're driving. It's also a good way to cause you to LOOSE CONTROL of your car on SLIPPERY surfaces and have an accident.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest drivng your car like that in any kind of weather. There is really no need to do this. Why do you think these are called AUTOMATICS! The computer gets info from sensors to tell it what is the correct gear to have the trans in as you're driving. It's also a good way to cause you to LOOSE CONTROL of your car on SLIPPERY surfaces and have an accident.
Note that when I said "the way to do it" I meant that on Malibus of that generation manual mode (L) is a substitute for positions 1, 2, etc on other cars. So whenever you need that you'd shift to that mode and use the shifter buttons. Why and when one needs to do that is a totally different subject. Let me just say that there are times when managing you gears yourself is beneficial, otherwise engineers would not insist on adding any modes other than P R N and D in about every auto tranny ever made.

1999 Honda Prelude base, 5 speed
2008 Toyota Yaris 4 door hatchback, auto

Last edited by Yury; 01-10-2009 at 02:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
CMF Junior Member

remove the shifter bezel, you will find that the wires for the manual shift button are broken. i have fixed several for the same issue, when you go into L, it displays 3rd gear at all times, doesnt matter what you press.

anyways, there are 2 wires, small diameter, cant remember the colors, and they run to the shift knob for the button, and they rub on the shifter internal to the console, and then the wires break. not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not.

ASE Master Certified Technician

currently driving- 09 Chevy Impala LT, 83 Chevy Camaro Z28
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplex-08 View Post
remove the shifter bezel, you will find that the wires for the manual shift button are broken. i have fixed several for the same issue, when you go into L, it displays 3rd gear at all times, doesnt matter what you press.

anyways, there are 2 wires, small diameter, cant remember the colors, and they run to the shift knob for the button, and they rub on the shifter internal to the console, and then the wires break. not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not.
What you described is what happens, but only sometimes. Other times, it works fine.
I'm not sure if i should try an fix it myself or just take it to the dealer...

Last edited by Flemith; 01-10-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: add something
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplex-08 View Post

This seems to be the exact problem I am having with my '05 Malibu LS. Can you give me any pointers as to how to remove the shifter bezel? Does it just pop off? Thanks. I'm looking forward to fixing my non-functioning manual shift mode.

To the OP. My Malibu would occassionally not work in manual mode but it was very infrequent when it wouldn't work. Then, a few months ago it stopped working completely. I'm hoping this is my solution
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
CMF Junior Member

may have a wire issue, not completely broken, but enough at times, to create a problem, if its intermittent, probably has a wire rubbing or rubbed through, and once in a while it will work ok. easy fix if you can access it. just need to open up the center console, around the shifter bezel, then you can get in there ok. the wire harness im talking about is small, very small wires, only like 2 i believe. you will find that they have rubbed through on the transmission shifter frame, all you have to do is repair the wires. just cut them and resolder them or use some butt connectors. if you can fix it, then you will save yourself a trip to the dealer, and probably 100-150 dollars. because i can tell you they will get an hour diagnosis, then price for wire repairs. and they will probably get an hour for it. even though it takes 10 minutes to fix.

just take a peek at it, if you cant find anything obvious, then take it to the dealer.

ASE Master Certified Technician

currently driving- 09 Chevy Impala LT, 83 Chevy Camaro Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.