Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Both front door speakers stopped working

137K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  SliverShadow93 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 LT and as of yesterday, both front speakers (the ones in the door) are not working. I noticed when turned the key, I did not get the typical chimes. I then turned on the radio and only the two small front speakers and the two back speakers are working.

I searched for similar threads but did not find anything....feedback/thoughts appreciated.

#4 ·
when i bought my 08 the door speakers were both out i had them fix them before i bought it they said they replaced the speakers but although the stereo sounds good it isnt very loud at all i dont think iv ever had a factory stereo that lacked the volume like this one

#6 ·
Yes they both went out at the exact same time (worked one night then didn't work 1st thing the next morning).

As an update, I started the car this morning and the drivers side front door speaker is working. Passenger front door speaker still not working?

#7 ·
Funny how no one has a solution to this? I my self have noticed both front door speakers kicking in and out at different times. I would have to think it is a connector somewhere causing this issue. I have a 2008 Malibu LS. I just don't know where to look for this. It sounds like a common pr4oblem so GM would know where to look?
I also had a problem with my rear brake lights coming on even if I didn't touch the brake. It turned out to be a connection down on the left side of the front passenger. I occasionally disconnect and use contact cleaner and it hasn't happened since.

#9 ·
Brake lights could be corrosion on the terminals or a bad BPP sensor. Replacing the sensor requires it to be reprogrammed at a dealer or someone with a Tech2.

#51 ·
Delphi Man,

Do you plan to resolve these concerns on your own? If you decide to have your dealership look into this, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
heres the problem with that, my local GM dealer is a pain, this is a problem that is caused by the car not having proper wiring of some sort this isn’t something any of us have done so the GM dealership refuses to stand behind their product, I have a 2010 Malibu LS and the brake light issue everyone else has well I have the same, the door speaker issue everyone else has, yep you guessed it mines the same way....so my question is if there’s numerous people having the same issues shouldn’t that be a recall of some sort?

#17 ·
I recently had the front right speaker start to give out, then works at night for some reason? Anybody know how much this might cost to just replace the speakers or if it's a wiring issue to the stereo or stereo itself. I'm thinking if it is just the speakers I should just pay someone (not the dealer) to replace them.

#18 ·
You have the very rare Nocturnal Universal Temperature Sensors (NUTS) installed in your speaker system. ;)

The speakers have been known to fail, sometimes all at once. Replacing them with better quality versions will probably yield better sound as well.

So long as it's not the wiring.

#19 ·
I have noticed in the mornings the speakers go out because there is moisture in the air, once the car has been sitting in the heat for a few hours, they kick back on again. I believe the moisture issue is the same thing that are making my actuators go bad. Why cant GM suck up and put a recall out for the fix, it seems like multiple people have problems with their electrical systems in the cars. Especially Chevrolet Malibu's

#20 ·
Hello all,

Thank you for expressing your concerns, and we truly apologize for the frustration caused. If you would like us to reach out to your dealership for technical advice, we are happy to do so! You are welcome to send us a private message at any time and include your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

#22 ·
Hi sirdeeker,

We treat each customer concerns on a case by case basis. We cannot guarantee any cost assistance but we are happy to look into your request. As Jessica stated, please send us a private message and include your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership anytime!

Jennifer T. (Assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care

#25 ·
I'd like to make you aware of some things we disapprove of around here.

One is that we don't condone or allow personal attacks, so I removed your offensive personal remark about Greenman.

The second is that you seem to be inflaming the issue with rhetoric, not facts. The front speakers are known to fail on more than their fair share of Gen7 models, so that is a reasonable conclusion to make, especially when you consider that you're trying to attack a post that was made 3 years ago. The BCM is not the only reason for the speakers to fail. Get your facts straight before you comment.

If you feel that the BCM is also a reason for the failure then so be it, but to insist that it's the only reason while demeaning a trusted member who also happens to be a Certified Technician is just not gonna fly here!

"Certified Tech" means this guy works on cars for a living, so I tend to trust his input way more than an unknown like you. You would do well to take a different tack if you're going to continue to post.

#26 ·
I bought my Malibu brand new back in 2008. My speaker issue happened when it was damp out and then eventually the driver side front stopped working all together back in 2014. I bought two new speakers at Best Buy for about $110 that are better than the factory's. I didn't even want to attempt to put them in myself so I had Best Buy also do it for $100. Only catch was there is a special bracket they had to get for about another $20. Well worth it, my music sounds better and no more problems.

Not sure if you were looking for a "wiring" solution, but it seems there is something wrong with the speakers themselves

#27 ·
Just replaced the drivers door speaker with one from GM. Was about 30.00 and all is good now.

Thanks
pat

#28 ·
I have a 2010 Malibu LT. I didn't notice the front door speakers were out until my bluetooth phone conversations went super low in volume, and sound like my friend was in a tin can.

Through deductions, i determined that my left door speaker was not functioning. When I investigated further, I found that the right door speaker was also out. However, I remembered that just a month earlier my entire volume level seemed lower than it was before.

The front left speaker will come in for a few minutes, then crap out.

Having worked with large sound systems for over 30 years, my first inclination was to believe that amplifier section was intermittently operational. However, it turns out to be the door speakers themselves. I only hope it hasn't damaged the amplifier.

I am looking for replacement speakers now. NOT A/C Delco speakers.

#29 ·
Same problem with my 2009. As odd as it may seem, both door speakers went bad at the same time, starting with intermittent cut-outs and graduating to complete loss. I replaced with much better quality Kicker speakers and everything is working again, including the chimes which output through the speakers. And the sound is so much better. Entire job took about an hour. When you purchase the new speakers, make sure to buy the adapter mounts or you will have to drill the mounting holes. Got my speakers and adapters at Best Buy.

#31 ·
:surprise:

As you can see I removed your address and phone number. Please be a lot more careful about posting your personal information on a public site like this!

#33 ·
I have a 2010 Malibu, both door speakers are out, been looking to figure out what the next step is. Would other members who have had the same issue suggest going through a dealership or a specialized auto/audio store. I am not technically inclined to do anything myself.

Thanks!

Long Island, NY

#34 ·
If i was going to keep my car for a long time(looking to get rid of it in 2 years) I would replace them all with aftermarket speakers. But since my car is just a everyday driver(with a few little twists to make it unique i went with a original replacement(new). Its not hard to replace them danideb685 with some handtools and patience and a trip to youtube if you get in a bind, you can do the replacement and save a ton of cash.

thanks
pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.