Check Engine light on - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Check Engine light on

Car is a 2009 Malibu LT with 3.6L engine. The check engine lite came on today but my scanner doesn't show any codes. Is it possible factory programs light to come on based on mileage so you take it to the dealer? Car has 56000 miles on it. I had an issue with my GMC Sierra truck where the light came on at 50K or 75K miles to have you take it to a dealer. No codes there either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Chevy Representatives

Re: Check Engine light on

Hi malibu34,

Sorry to hear about your check engine light concern. Please private message me if you wish assistance locating a dealer. Thanks.

Kenneth M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available Monday-Sunday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Problem is with my scanner. The 2009 Malibu uses the CAN bus protocol and my scanner which is from about the year 2000 does not support the CAN bus protocol. I've ordered a new scanner and also have a friend's to use to read the code with. I'll report back for anyone interested in what I find.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

OK the code came back as P0443. It could be the purge valve solenoid or connections. I had a 1997 Buick Regal GS and replaced the purge valve twice on that vehicle. I'm taking the car to the dealer for several issues, 1. Steering noise, 2. Door lock actuator rear passenger side, 3. P0443. My extended warranty expired 3 weeks ago and Chevy says to take the vehicle to the dealer for analysis (probably around $100) and then get back to them with the diagnostic report. They may help with paying for repairs. I did not have any warranty claims for the 5 years the warranty period covered. (Figures) ;-( Had the car in last Dec. but dealer found no noises from steering (it was -10F). We'll see if GM helps loyal customers or not. I've had GM vehicles for 45 years and lots of them were new like the Malibu.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM
CMF Junior Member

Good luck! Dealers suck to deal with...I hope you have a good experience and they take car of you.

2009 Malibu LTZ, 2.4L, stock, 118k, DD

2001 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L, bolt ons, suspension, 4.10s, 100 Wet Shot, tuned, 167k miles...13.5@106 spraying in 2nd on a 75 shot.

1994 Mustang V6 Convertible, 3.8L, auto, stock, 86k, DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.