Water leaks in 2008-2010 Malibus - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Water leaks in 2008-2010 Malibus

It seems quite a few people have had problems with water leaks in their cars. I am thankful mine is dry, but I sympathize with owners whose cars leak. Many years ago, I had a very nice Mercury Monarch Ghia with a water leak and the dealer could never find out where it came from. I didn't know it leaked until I found out there had been enough water in the carpet to ruin the bag in my vacumn cleaner, it was soaking wet.

Doesn't Chevrolet run the cars through a water chamber to check for leaks? I saw the Camaro manufacturing plant on a TV documentary and they check each car for leaks. However, the car was fully assembled at the time as I believe this was the last QC check.

It would be beneficial to have each car checked for leaks at a certain point in production before the interior is all in place. That way any leaks could be detected and easily fixed. However, I know this would really interrupt the build process.

Just my thinking...

Mr. Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Re: Water leaks in 2008-2010 Malibus

There is no way to run every car through a chamber to check for leaks. The Camaro isn't either. They just pick some random cars to check. My car thankfully has been dry as a bone.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression each Camaro was tested

Mr. Bill
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I'm so glad i came across this site. I noticed last saturday that my back passenger floor board was covered in water. Took it back to the dealer i bought it from 5 months ago and he couldn't find anything, nevertheless he dried it up sent me on my way. Well today is Friday and i notice a fowl smell..the floor is wet again. I call him and now suppose to take it in Monday so they can check it out...i love my car but after all the issues i'm hearing i'd rather just find something else i think. I had a camry before this and had no issues with water leaks or odd smells the whole 8 yrs i kept it and the only reason i didn't get another one was due to their recalls. Thankfully my malibu is still under warranty or i wouldn't know wht to do. Should i stick it out or find another car? Cant wait to hear wht the ppl @ the shop says on Monday. And did anyone with this issue get it fixed to where it doesn't leak anymore?
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Garage

I haven't had the issue but I've read almost every post. What I can recall is that the leak seems to come from the AC condensate drain in most cases. Weird, but understandable if you live in a humid area like I do.

When you run the AC you should see clear water dripping from the front right side of the car, and none of it should stay inside the car. If the tube is compromised then that can lead to the problem you're having.

Once you get that fixed, and it is fixable, I think you'll grow to love this car as much or more than your beloved Camry. Every manufacturer has issues. It's how they handle them that matters to me.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM
CMF Rookie Member

This may not be from the AC. I am also having this trouble with water filling up my back passenger floorboard. I was 500 miles from home when I first noticed it. I called back to my local dealer and they said this was what was wrong and it should be ok til we got back. Well about the 3rd day into our trip the car quits shifting and the instrument panel starts flashing different warnings. The car quits shifting into high and jerks everytime it shifts. I take to a repair shop where I am at. They got 3-4 gallons of water from the carpet and under the carpet. They cleared the codes and we got home. Well the next week it was wet again after we drove it while it was raining. We took it to the dealer and we was told the warranty dont cover wet conditions. After a discussion with them they looked at the car and fixed it. Still was not paid back for the 600 we had to spend on vacation. After this it has been about a month since we had any problem and it has not rained in this time either. Well just yesterday we got rain and the back floorboard filled with water again about 2 inches deep on top of the carpet. It is in the shop and they told us we had a leak from somewhere. Needless to say it is not covered by warranty and this has just about done for me and chevy.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 AM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrtaylor View Post
This may not be from the AC. I am also having this trouble with water filling up my back passenger floorboard. I was 500 miles from home when I first noticed it. I called back to my local dealer and they said this was what was wrong and it should be ok til we got back. Well about the 3rd day into our trip the car quits shifting and the instrument panel starts flashing different warnings. The car quits shifting into high and jerks everytime it shifts. I take to a repair shop where I am at. They got 3-4 gallons of water from the carpet and under the carpet. They cleared the codes and we got home. Well the next week it was wet again after we drove it while it was raining. We took it to the dealer and we was told the warranty dont cover wet conditions. After a discussion with them they looked at the car and fixed it. Still was not paid back for the 600 we had to spend on vacation. After this it has been about a month since we had any problem and it has not rained in this time either. Well just yesterday we got rain and the back floorboard filled with water again about 2 inches deep on top of the carpet. It is in the shop and they told us we had a leak from somewhere. Needless to say it is not covered by warranty and this has just about done for me and chevy.
If your still under your 3/36 water leaks are covered. Go to another dealer and call customer service.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 PM
CMF Rookie Member

the rear small windows might be your problem :i was washing my car with soapy water and noticed it bubbling up ; i also had the a/c on high try this trick and see if you find any leaks.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM
CMF Junior Member

If the water is in the back passenger floor board it may be comming from the sunroof if you have one. The car is designed to transfer any water entering the sunroof around the seal to a tray under the roof and down the post between the front and back window. If this is not sealed good it can enter the car. The sunroof is designed to allow water to leak around the rubber gasket but not get into the inside of the car.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 PM
CMF Junior Member

I've posted my personal experience with this on the following thread:

09 With water leak after rain...

Seems to be sunroof related for me, and most of my "moisture" is in the headliner. 4 times now. I'll continue to update there as I make progress, or if there are any additional occurrences. So far it's required a complete replacement of the "drip tray" under the sunroof, and all 4 major drain channels/lines.

Hopefully I can learn more about what causes this and post updates!

Current Rides:
2011 Toyota Camry SE 3.5VVT, Sunroof, JBL Prem. Audio, Navi
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L, Sunroof, Prem. Audio, DVD Ent. Package (Kid Hauler)

Past Vehicles:
2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ - Couldn't stop leakin' and shakin'
2008 Chevy Equinox LTZ
2008 Suzuki XL7 Limited
2005 Pontiac G6 GT
2004 Buick Rainier CXL
2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS2
2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS2 (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.