Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 518 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

This morning, after the struts last december, my dealer replaced the intermediate shaft. No change at all, the clunk still there. They finally kept my Bu for extensive test as they said it's not normal.

2008 Malibu 2LT 2.4L Imperial Blue, Rear Trunk Lip and Window Spoilers, Chrome Pillar Posts and Handles, Tinted Windows and Personal Audio Link (PAL) for Ipod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 518 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
CMF Senior Member

My Bu is still at the dealership (since tuesday). They change again the intermediate shaft suspecting that the new one was also defective but it was not the case. They finally ordered the entire steering rack and a new electric motor as sometime my steering wheel was shaking when stop at light. I hope it will fix both shaking and clunk. I'm presently driving a 2010 Impala courtesy of my dealer but I still prefer my Bu !

2008 Malibu 2LT 2.4L Imperial Blue, Rear Trunk Lip and Window Spoilers, Chrome Pillar Posts and Handles, Tinted Windows and Personal Audio Link (PAL) for Ipod.
post #13 of 518 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brossard View Post
My Bu is still at the dealership (since tuesday). They change again the intermediate shaft suspecting that the new one was also defective but it was not the case. They finally ordered the entire steering rack and a new electric motor as sometime my steering wheel was shaking when stop at light. I hope it will fix both shaking and clunk. I'm presently driving a 2010 Impala courtesy of my dealer but I still prefer my Bu !
I had a Impala the last time my car was in too. I do not like that car at all. The suspension tuning is for an old lady.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF

post #14 of 518 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
CMF Senior Member

I got my car today after 3 days at the dealer and the clunk is finally GONE ! Here the list of pieces my dealer changed : 25962603 (Shaft kit = Intermediate shaft) and 25933396 (Steering column).

post #15 of 518 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Garage

Feels like a whole new car, too, huh? Glad it's a happy car again. Here's hoping it stays that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #16 of 518 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
CMF Rookie Member

have an issue with my steering wheel shaking back and forth while sitting idle and while driving down the hwy.

video on youtube to show example here:

anyone else with this type of issue that can say what is wrong. out of warranty on our 08 sitting at 41k. thanks...
post #17 of 518 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:10 PM
CMF Senior Member

Yes, my steering was doing the same before they changed the electric motor. For the clunk problem that was fixed 2 month ago, still OK.

post #18 of 518 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
CMF Junior Member

Post Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Update on my malibu...The steering rack and pinion was replaced after waiting for five weeks. It was probably well worth it since the power steering issue is gone. The service manager says it is a known issue for the Malibu's but to date no Service Bulletin has been released. The cluck in the front was taken care of about a week prior to the rack being diagnosed as a problem (Service Bulletin is out for it) and since has been working great. Just so happened the mine and another malibu were in the shop together having the same problems, they had alread tried the power steering pump with no luck and turned to the big office at GM to make the call to replace the rack and pinion. Hope everyone has better luck with their cars but if you end up with the same problems, get it to the shop. Thanks all!
post #19 of 518 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
CMF Honorary Member

FYI: I had been at the dealer today and I spoke to one of the techs who usually works on my car and who had been the one who replaced the steering rack. He told me like 5-6 Malibus come in a WEEK with this same basic issue. Plus some are on there third or forth ones! He told me many techs replace the intermediate shaft or power steering pump when it is usually the steering rack. He told me the issues with the cars that needed to be replaced ranged from a "dead" feeling at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, vibrations while merging on the highway, odd vibrations at varying speeds, clunks and rattles, steering moaning, to all sorts of other stuff. I had this issue, and since they have replaced the parts, knock on wood, my steering has been pretty good.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #20 of 518 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I've noticed a clicking noise coming from what seems to be the suspension while turning. If I make a turn at anything higher than 30 mph, i get a repetitive and quite distinct click. It almost sounds like two pieces of plastic being tapped together. Any one else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.