Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 515 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMalibu View Post
If I make a turn at anything higher than 30 mph, i get a repetitive and quite distinct click. It almost sounds like two pieces of plastic being tapped together.
That's something different. The load on the steering mechanism is not much during a "turn at anything higher than 30 mph". I'd take it in for a warranty service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 515 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
CMF Junior Member

I wanted to share my experience regarding a grinding/rattle noise coming from the front end of my car when turning at parking lot speeds.

I had been driving the car with this noise for about two weeks but one weekend I went camping with the car, and the campground roads have lots of turns, and the speed limit is 15mph. So every time I turned, the noise kept occurring, it was embarrassing, because I was 400 miles away from home, with my family, and they were afraid that my car was not going to make it home because the grinding/rattle noise was pretty bad, very horrible sounding.

At first I thought it was my steering racking going bad, or the intermediate steering shaft (since this site showed me that those issues are persistent problems on these Malibus). So I take it to the dealer after I come back from camping to have it checked out. I leave it at the dealer overnight because I do not have any time to drop it off during the day, so they give me a rental from Enterprise.

They call the next day during my lunch and say they cannot replicate the noise. Well, needless to say, I was MAD. I stormed out of my office during lunch, drove to the dealership and kindly asked if I could drive with a technician.

With the technician in the passenger seat, all I had to do was drive the car for 10 FEET and turn the steering wheel, and all you could hear was GRINDING/RATTLING from the front end.

The technician said "your upper strut bearings and mounts are bad. Only one might be bad, but we'll replace both of them in case the other will go out soon too... but right now we are out of stock with those parts, we'll get them in at 7am tomorrow."

Granted, the technician was really nice and informative. I opened the hood and he pointed to the spot at the top of the struts where the parts have failed, so I felt a lot better that the problem will be fixed. I also noticed that the "mounts" were a little corroded.

But I just didn't understand why they said they drove 15 miles to try and replicate the problem, when I told them all they have to do was drive around in the parking lot and steer the wheel, and you'll hear the noise. I didn't like the fact that I had to leave work in the middle of the day.

After they replaced both upper strut mounts and bearings, there is no longer a noise coming from the front end when I turn the wheel at slow speeds.

2008 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
3.6L DOHC V6
Black Granite Metallic - Brick & Ebony
Fairfax Plant, Kansas - Assembled 12/2007
Current miles 97k-98k
post #23 of 515 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Garage

2 things in response to your thread:

1. I'm gonna watch mine. I told them that mine has a little groan when turning at slow speeds and they said it's normal.

2. Almost every time I've gotten my car back from the selling dealer it has been either filthy from the oil change tech or damaged from the work they've done. I'd call or drive back to have it rectified and after my last visit 2 weeks ago they've settled on telling me they don't want me back at their dealership. They claim I'm the only customer who calls after every visit. I doubt that's true. So I asked them why my car keeps coming back in such a dismal condition, and why I felt so concerned on this last visit that I took pictures before dropping it off AND asked the service writer to tell the techs to keep my car clean. It was not only filthy (again!) but the warranty work on the driver's door was less than acceptable. They claim they don't even have to do the work since I've been in the door and have installed non-standard equipment there. (It's the express module for the rear windows.) There's more to this story but it's here to show you the thinking at a service department. They aren't there to make you happy, and if you open your mouth you might be invited to leave. The service manager just doesn't believe that his techs are that bad, but I've got proof - the owner's son and general mgr saw it with his own eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #24 of 515 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
CMF Honorary Member

Anybody have any input on this question I asked in another thread?

Originally Posted by CHILL
My car had the same exact problem. Dealer has fixed it - it is a power steering gear. I suspected power steering all along, when I posted the problem back in May.
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ
My car seems to be doing this now. When I turn the wheel while stopped, or when moving very slowly I get this odd "murring" noise and some slight vibrations in the wheel. I have had the steering rack replaced for the clunking and loose feelings a while back and that fixed that. But this is something new.

Any other input before I head back to the dealer?

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #25 of 515 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Garage
Exclamation Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ View Post
Anybody have any input on this question I asked in another thread?

Originally Posted by CHILL
My car had the same exact problem. Dealer has fixed it - it is a power steering gear. I suspected power steering all along, when I posted the problem back in May.
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ
My car seems to be doing this now. When I turn the wheel while stopped, or when moving very slowly I get this odd "murring" noise and some slight vibrations in the wheel. I have had the steering rack replaced for the clunking and loose feelings a while back and that fixed that. But this is something new.

Any other input before I head back to the dealer?
The groan from mine has the same symptom of a pump that isn't turning fast enough, so there isn't enough power to assist the turning of the wheel. Speed up just a little or rev it some and it goes away.

But it also sounds like two surfaces sliding across each other without sufficient lubrication.

Hard to describe, but the dealer says that GM claims it is normal. I've had a lot of cars that never sounded like this, and this is a new car. I'd like to think that it should be better engineered than this, but alas, I seem to be taking flight from reality and will return soon...

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #26 of 515 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Angry Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
The groan from mine has the same symptom of a pump that isn't turning fast enough, so there isn't enough power to assist the turning of the wheel. Speed up just a little or rev it some and it goes away.

But it also sounds like two surfaces sliding across each other without sufficient lubrication.

Hard to describe, but the dealer says that GM claims it is normal. I've had a lot of cars that never sounded like this, and this is a new car. I'd like to think that it should be better engineered than this, but alas, I seem to be taking flight from reality and will return soon...
My 2010 LTZ has just started the moan and groan issue - 15800 miles-but my dealer could not replicate- but I will now return armed with the forums info.
post #27 of 515 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
CMF Honorary Member

Forgot to update this a few weeks back when I got my car back.

They changed the steering rack AGIAN, and "adjusted" the power steering pump and did an alignment. As of now, a few weeks later I have no issues at all with the steering. Finally....

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #28 of 515 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
CMF Senior Member

I think the heart of this issue for V6 drivers is the fact that the steering gear and wheels are too heavy for the hydraulic fuel pump. They tried to make it as small and inconsequential to engine performance as possible, and it came back and bit them in the arse.

My Dad had the pump on his 09 replaced about 3 weeks ago, after 2 trips to the dealer about the issue. He's a salesman and spends 4 days out of 5 on the road... he doesn't have time for the car to be in the shop. Last week he traded it on a new Yukon... problem solved permanently.
post #29 of 515 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Selling dealer finally, after repeated attempts, replaced the "stabilizer bar" and bushings (I'm assuming this is GM speak for sway bar?) which seems to have eliminated the clunk at low speeds over small sharp bumps and small potholes.

Still have an occasional steering glitch which feels almost like an overboost in the steering - on suspension compression, sometimes the wheel turns almost like it has suddenly received a surge of pressure feeding back up into the wheel (Yes, this obviously can't happen with the electric steering).
post #30 of 515 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
CMF Rookie Member

cpfmg-
I have read your post. Could you please PM me more information about your steering situation from the beginning of when it started to current? I would like to perform some research.
Michelle P-Chevrolet Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.