Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

403K views 553 replies 153 participants last post by  Dawnaelmarie 
#1 · (Edited)
Since we keep getting multiple threads on this topic, thought it would be best to make a sticky so we can get all information in one place. So any of the "common" steering/front suspension issues you may have should be discussed in here.

These issues can be front end clunks, rattles, odd noises, weird steering sensations etc.

For reference, here is the old thread on the topic.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748

#2 ·
My story on this is the following. Never had any front end issues, but I did have some steering issues just like my old G6 GTP did. I wasn't getting any bad rattles and noises, but the steering felt "odd" when steering at low speeds. They ended up replacing the intermediate shaft, which in my case did nothing. Then they replaced the whole steering rack which stopped the issues.

#4 ·
2008 Malibu 2LT V6 front end clunking:

1. My rack was replaced,
2. Right strut was replaced then old one put back
3. Strut bumpers were glued
4. Right strut boot was modified/shortened

I thought the clunking/knocking was all gone...... but it is still there on washboard roads. Dealer has been great trying to resolve the issue so I'm almost embarrassed to go back another time. Anyone have a contact at GM where I can send a "letter of concern"?

#5 ·
Guys :
I just had my car in for service, one of my issues was vibration in steering wheel when I back up at low speed.

I also complained, about roof rattle, hard shifting, smelly fumes out of AC, chips on my bumper, and brakes grinding at high speed. I took info from this site and alldata.com and gave them TSB's on every complaint. The service writer say that was a big help.

Fixes :

Vibration and hard shifting is gone, they did a reprogramming on transmition better responce from pedal and smooth shifting.

Roof Rattle -- Gone - took down headliner,added foam between sun roof and overhead console.

Chips on bumper -- They touched it up, and gave me a touch up pen (no charge).

Smelly fumes from ac to outside air -- they change cabin filter with HEPA filter. ( havent tested this yet).

Brakes-- resurfaced front rotors and replaced pads with Dura-last pads. So far so good. -- They told me to keep an eye on this if it still happens bring it back.

They also did a ECM -reprogramming and changed my oil they did not use bulk oil as I requested.

And they owe me a car wash -- So far so good.

#7 ·
I have also the clunk noise in front when going at low speed on small bump/joint and it's worse on non paved road. They replaced both front struts and the clunk disappeared for only 30 miles then the noise was back as before. For now, I just increase the volume of the radio to stop earing the clunk/noise as I felt nothing on the steering. My dealer told me it's not dangerous and it's like I'm the only Bu owner complaining about it.

#10 ·
Took my 2008 LTZ into the shop for a clunk in the right front. They kept the car overnight and called me the next day with the news, turns out that they are going to be replacing the entire rack and pinion in hopes to remedy the issue. Also said they had a service bulletin on this as well and so they greased something in the right wheel area (he told me but I forget right this minute). Service Manager said it could take up to 3 weeks or more to get the rack in but it would be safe to drive. On the way home, the whole front end seemed to be much tighter and there were no clunks. I have been driving it for the past week now and everything seems better. I will post again after they replace the rack and let you know how it goes.

#11 ·
This morning, after the struts last december, my dealer replaced the intermediate shaft. No change at all, the clunk still there. They finally kept my Bu for extensive test as they said it's not normal.

#12 ·
My Bu is still at the dealership (since tuesday). They change again the intermediate shaft suspecting that the new one was also defective but it was not the case. They finally ordered the entire steering rack and a new electric motor as sometime my steering wheel was shaking when stop at light. I hope it will fix both shaking and clunk. I'm presently driving a 2010 Impala courtesy of my dealer but I still prefer my Bu !

#14 ·
I got my car today after 3 days at the dealer and the clunk is finally GONE ! Here the list of pieces my dealer changed : 25962603 (Shaft kit = Intermediate shaft) and 25933396 (Steering column).

#15 ·
Feels like a whole new car, too, huh? Glad it's a happy car again. Here's hoping it stays that way.

#16 ·
have an issue with my steering wheel shaking back and forth while sitting idle and while driving down the hwy.

video on youtube to show example here:

anyone else with this type of issue that can say what is wrong. out of warranty on our 08 sitting at 41k. thanks...

#17 ·
Yes, my steering was doing the same before they changed the electric motor. For the clunk problem that was fixed 2 month ago, still OK.

#18 ·
Update on my malibu...The steering rack and pinion was replaced after waiting for five weeks. It was probably well worth it since the power steering issue is gone. The service manager says it is a known issue for the Malibu's but to date no Service Bulletin has been released. The cluck in the front was taken care of about a week prior to the rack being diagnosed as a problem (Service Bulletin is out for it) and since has been working great. Just so happened the mine and another malibu were in the shop together having the same problems, they had alread tried the power steering pump with no luck and turned to the big office at GM to make the call to replace the rack and pinion. Hope everyone has better luck with their cars but if you end up with the same problems, get it to the shop. Thanks all!

#19 ·
FYI: I had been at the dealer today and I spoke to one of the techs who usually works on my car and who had been the one who replaced the steering rack. He told me like 5-6 Malibus come in a WEEK with this same basic issue. Plus some are on there third or forth ones! He told me many techs replace the intermediate shaft or power steering pump when it is usually the steering rack. He told me the issues with the cars that needed to be replaced ranged from a "dead" feeling at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, vibrations while merging on the highway, odd vibrations at varying speeds, clunks and rattles, steering moaning, to all sorts of other stuff. I had this issue, and since they have replaced the parts, knock on wood, my steering has been pretty good.

#22 ·
I wanted to share my experience regarding a grinding/rattle noise coming from the front end of my car when turning at parking lot speeds.

I had been driving the car with this noise for about two weeks but one weekend I went camping with the car, and the campground roads have lots of turns, and the speed limit is 15mph. So every time I turned, the noise kept occurring, it was embarrassing, because I was 400 miles away from home, with my family, and they were afraid that my car was not going to make it home because the grinding/rattle noise was pretty bad, very horrible sounding.

At first I thought it was my steering racking going bad, or the intermediate steering shaft (since this site showed me that those issues are persistent problems on these Malibus). So I take it to the dealer after I come back from camping to have it checked out. I leave it at the dealer overnight because I do not have any time to drop it off during the day, so they give me a rental from Enterprise.

They call the next day during my lunch and say they cannot replicate the noise. Well, needless to say, I was MAD. I stormed out of my office during lunch, drove to the dealership and kindly asked if I could drive with a technician.

With the technician in the passenger seat, all I had to do was drive the car for 10 FEET and turn the steering wheel, and all you could hear was GRINDING/RATTLING from the front end.

The technician said "your upper strut bearings and mounts are bad. Only one might be bad, but we'll replace both of them in case the other will go out soon too... but right now we are out of stock with those parts, we'll get them in at 7am tomorrow."

Granted, the technician was really nice and informative. I opened the hood and he pointed to the spot at the top of the struts where the parts have failed, so I felt a lot better that the problem will be fixed. I also noticed that the "mounts" were a little corroded.

But I just didn't understand why they said they drove 15 miles to try and replicate the problem, when I told them all they have to do was drive around in the parking lot and steer the wheel, and you'll hear the noise. I didn't like the fact that I had to leave work in the middle of the day.

After they replaced both upper strut mounts and bearings, there is no longer a noise coming from the front end when I turn the wheel at slow speeds.

Reactions: Oshkash
#23 ·
2 things in response to your thread:

1. I'm gonna watch mine. I told them that mine has a little groan when turning at slow speeds and they said it's normal.

2. Almost every time I've gotten my car back from the selling dealer it has been either filthy from the oil change tech or damaged from the work they've done. I'd call or drive back to have it rectified and after my last visit 2 weeks ago they've settled on telling me they don't want me back at their dealership. They claim I'm the only customer who calls after every visit. I doubt that's true. So I asked them why my car keeps coming back in such a dismal condition, and why I felt so concerned on this last visit that I took pictures before dropping it off AND asked the service writer to tell the techs to keep my car clean. It was not only filthy (again!) but the warranty work on the driver's door was less than acceptable. They claim they don't even have to do the work since I've been in the door and have installed non-standard equipment there. (It's the express module for the rear windows.) There's more to this story but it's here to show you the thinking at a service department. They aren't there to make you happy, and if you open your mouth you might be invited to leave. The service manager just doesn't believe that his techs are that bad, but I've got proof - the owner's son and general mgr saw it with his own eyes.

#24 ·
Anybody have any input on this question I asked in another thread?

Originally Posted by CHILL
My car had the same exact problem. Dealer has fixed it - it is a power steering gear. I suspected power steering all along, when I posted the problem back in May.
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ
My car seems to be doing this now. When I turn the wheel while stopped, or when moving very slowly I get this odd "murring" noise and some slight vibrations in the wheel. I have had the steering rack replaced for the clunking and loose feelings a while back and that fixed that. But this is something new.

Any other input before I head back to the dealer?

#25 ·
The groan from mine has the same symptom of a pump that isn't turning fast enough, so there isn't enough power to assist the turning of the wheel. Speed up just a little or rev it some and it goes away.

But it also sounds like two surfaces sliding across each other without sufficient lubrication.

Hard to describe, but the dealer says that GM claims it is normal. I've had a lot of cars that never sounded like this, and this is a new car. I'd like to think that it should be better engineered than this, but alas, I seem to be taking flight from reality and will return soon...

#28 ·
I think the heart of this issue for V6 drivers is the fact that the steering gear and wheels are too heavy for the hydraulic fuel pump. They tried to make it as small and inconsequential to engine performance as possible, and it came back and bit them in the arse.

My Dad had the pump on his 09 replaced about 3 weeks ago, after 2 trips to the dealer about the issue. He's a salesman and spends 4 days out of 5 on the road... he doesn't have time for the car to be in the shop. Last week he traded it on a new Yukon... problem solved permanently.

#29 ·
Selling dealer finally, after repeated attempts, replaced the "stabilizer bar" and bushings (I'm assuming this is GM speak for sway bar?) which seems to have eliminated the clunk at low speeds over small sharp bumps and small potholes.

Still have an occasional steering glitch which feels almost like an overboost in the steering - on suspension compression, sometimes the wheel turns almost like it has suddenly received a surge of pressure feeding back up into the wheel (Yes, this obviously can't happen with the electric steering).

#31 · (Edited)
After having my Transmission work done, I have noticed a weird steering sensation when turning. Which sounds like what SILVERLTZ has had on his Malibu. It also most feels like the Power Steering Pump is over working or there is not enough fluid in it. It will make a very slight sound sometimes if you listen carefully. I have noticed this in slow driving, like in parking lots and sometimes even when taking off at faster speeds when turning for a couple of seconds. “You Can Feel It In The Steering Wheel” I thought I was just being paranoid or just imagining this because of the list of Malibu problems everyone has had with their car because sometimes I don't notice/feel it. So I decided to search the site for similar problems. I know I have to bring back my Malibu to the Dealership for a new Steering wheel column Cover that is on order. I will ask them to check it out. I have a feeling they are going to say this is normal. PS. After they had worked on the Transmission and had to pull the front end apart, my front end squeak when going over bumps is gone now but now a weird Steering Wheel Problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.