Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Page 52 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #511 of 522 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

jack up the car, remove the wheel and take a look!

Paul - 2010 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 522 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:04 PM
CMF Junior Member

Wow, the plethora of front end complaints is overwhelming - GM should be cringing. I really like the new Malibu, but I'm afraid to look in that forum for stickies and quality problems - and I am a LONG time GM man. I have over 300,000 miles on my 2001 Suburban and had 74,000 miles on my 69 Pace Car until I sold it last year. I have owned dozens of GM cars and never saw problems like this.

I feel for you all trying to work your way through these problems.

My 09 has 217,000 highway miles(by me) and has no clunk. But, it does have a creaking noise while turning the wheel to the left only, and if I happen to be slowly going over smallish bumps at the same time, the creaking becomes doubled, like it is rocking back-n-forth. It makes the creaking noise even when I am in Park and only turning the steering wheel to the left while stationary. It doesn't matter where the wheels are pointing, if I turn to the left the creaking noise occurs for as long as I am cranking - nothing at all if I turn to the right from any position. It has been doing this for 150,000 miles or so. I put Monroe Quick Struts on it several months ago, convinced that was the source. No improvement at all.

I'm intrigued by some posts back on pages 34/35 of this thread regarding the lower control arm/ball joint assembly. But, if it creaks even in Park, doesn't that rule out the lower control arm? ISS? Steering motor? Steering gears?

EDIT:

Last edited by santa6; 10-23-2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #513 of 522 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:55 PM
CMF Junior Member

Any ideas or help appreciated.

post #514 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 06:58 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

I have been taking notes here and there on this issue. The following items are the possible items that people have said to be the origin of the clunking front end. Not that any of them are or the part may not be listed here either.

* Sway Bar Links & Bushings
* Struts & Strut Mounts (Strut mount bearings)
* Intermediate steering shaft
* Lower control arm bushings
* Steering rack-tie rods
* Hub Assemblies

If anyone can give more input, narrow it down, or add another possible problem part that would be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'12 LTZ
•Anthracite Grey Wheels
•Anthracite Grey Bowties
•Matte Black Front Grills
•Red Brake Calipers
•Drilled & Slotted Rotors
•20% Window Tint
•10" Alpine Sub

Last edited by kars2010; 11-02-2016 at 07:04 AM.
post #515 of 522 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 AM
CMF Rookie Member

The vehicle I just purchased came with an inspection form detailing everything they did to recondition the car. This included things like engine and cabin air filters, wiper blades, alignment and tire rotation, oil change, water pump and gasket, and more. One of the lines mentioned "Diagnose Suspension Noise 1.0hr" and the only suspension related parts replaced were "RF inner and outer tie rods". Surprising to already be needed on a 70K mile vehicle, but there it was, and the parts are new underneath.
post #516 of 522 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:38 AM
CMF Rookie Member

I have an issue with my 2011 Malibu. Whenever I am accelerating hard while turning right from a stop. There is a loud thud which comes from the driver side floorboard. Seems like someone hammered a nail and it just happens only once when I start from a stop while turning right.

Had a rattle for which I changed the stabilizer bar linkage and then had the strut mounts and Lower control arms along with the bearing hubs changed to make this sound go away. But it still persists.

Tried searching for a similar issue but could not find it on the forum. Any suggestions?
post #517 of 522 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Garage

2 posts above yours is a list that includes the intermediate shaft. Have you inspected yours or observed it during this situation? Also, what engine do you have, and do you have EPS or hydraulic PS?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #518 of 522 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 AM
CMF Rookie Member

has anyone had issues with power steering going out? thought I hit a patch of black ice but realized I had no power steering and the display panel was lit up like a Christmas tree! pulled off into a parking lot and turned off car. when I turned on back on 20 mins all was fine! still didn't trust it so I had to carpool to work
post #519 of 522 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 PM
CMF Junior Member

Garage
Unhappy Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

I've been having some twitching in the steering wheel while sitting at a stop or a red light. I do notice a slight twitch towards the left while driving, it almost feels like at anytime the car is just going to veer to the left. I have video https://youtu.be/XIf_MD2v2-s of the twitching while barely pulling to the left while sitting in my driveway. Any help or ideas what it could be would be greatly appreciated.
post #520 of 522 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal0722 View Post
I've been having some twitching in the steering wheel while sitting at a stop or a red light. I do notice a slight twitch towards the left while driving, it almost feels like at anytime the car is just going to veer to the left. I have video of the twitching while barely pulling to the left while sitting in my driveway. Any help or ideas what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same issue on my 2011 Chevy Malibu. Yesterday, as I parked to run a quick errand, I watched this happen again, as it has been going on for weeks. When I came back and turned my car on, I got the Power Steering Out message, followed by Service ESC. The power steering was indeed out but I made it home. Took a look under the hood to check on the belt but that was fine. Restarted the car and no messages and the power steering was working. This morning it is working as well but with the twitch. I'm also feeling a twitch through the brakes, and I can feel the same vibration and twitch as I drive over a bumpy road. Not sure what the issue is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.