Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone have a wheel bearing problem?

52K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  marc.gionet 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I noticed a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side when I was next to a building/wall at slower speeds. Then I noticed that it is a lot more noticable when turning to the left, which made me think wheel bearing. I called and made an appointment to take it in and get looked at but was wondering if this is a common problem or not?

09 2LT 3.6 with 45,000 miles.

#5 ·
I had 20K on my '09 before trading it in and was getting only the slightest squeal, and only if it was pressed just a certain amount. A little more or less and the noise went away.

My '11 (the keeper!) makes no noise at this time.

And no issues or anomalies with the wheel bearings on either, either. (Hmmm, is that some kind of grammatical misconstruct?)

#6 ·
The noise is a grinding or rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side that is RPM related, it gets faster the faster the car is going. I started noticing it in the driveway when I was next to the house, the noise bounced off the house. Then noticed that making left hand turns would make the noise become more evident. I'm not a mechanic but from what I know I would guess wheel bearing.

I changed the brakes around 10K miles ago because they were worn out. I did go threw and and re check everything on the brakes to make sure.

Don't think it is steering related, it does it with the wheels straight when backing out of and pulling into the driveway.

I will find out Friday what it is for sure but my guess is wheel bearing. Was just seeing if this is a common problem or not.

Thanks.

#8 ·
I will find out Friday what it is for sure but my guess is wheel bearing. Was just seeing if this is a common problem or not.
I wouldn't say it's "common." The bearing/hub assemblies in recent years have been quite reliable. Also, bad bearings hum, whir, or roar (like truck tires with aggressive treads). The "crunching" BlinkQS described is rare. His problem may be a collateral damage, i.e., from carelessness during some repair work that required front end disassembly. Maybe somebody got lazy and let loose an impact gun or hammer on the drive shaft.

Does the noise change when you lightly apply the brakes? Was there anything that didn't make sense to you when you did the brake job?

#7 ·
I had my front drivers side wheel bearing replaced RIGHT before the bumper to bumper warranty was about to expire.

It started to make an ever so slight crunching noise, which correlated to how fast I was going. The slower I drove, the crunching would be slow, the faster I drove, the crunching was quick sounding. I also drove near a building to hear it better.

At first, I thought this noise had something to do with the brakes, as if the heat sheild was rubbing against the rust on the rotor when the wheel was spinning.

When it got really bad, it was very frightening to drive on the highway, the car would be very unstable and liked to pull to the left (dealership was so busy, they scheduled my appointment 7 days after I initially called them, and being my only car, I had to drive it that way).

The leaky/jerky transmission, failed wheel bearing, creaky strut mounts, non-working door locks, clunking steering shaft, sticking fuel injector, etc... made me buy the GM Majorguard extended warranty.

Now I think the front passenger side is going bad... I wish they could have just replaced both at the same time. :mad:

#10 ·
Well took the car to the dealership this morning. After about 30 minutes or so they came out and said the rotors were warped and wanted 65 bucks to turn them plus 40 bucks for the diagnoises since it wasn't powertrain related. I haven't had any rotors turned in a while but last time I did it was around 15 bucks a rotor. I told him I would get it taken care of and paid the 40 bucks for the diagnoises. Decided to just buy new rotors, I usually just buy new rotors when changing pads but thought these ones looked decent when I changed the brakes.

I got some wagner rotors and threw them on and went for a drive, noise is still there and the same before. RPM sensitive rubbing/grinding noise from the right side that is more evident when turning to the left. So now 150 bucks into this and no change. So guess I'm going to have to make another appointment at the dealership and have them try and guess what the problem is again and take a chance at having to pay the 100+ an hour shop fee again and hope they get it right this time. I suppose the rotors could be out of spec right out of the box but I've never had that before.

I didn't try and wiggle the tire when I had the car in the air because I was going off what the dealer told me was wrong, wish I would have but will get the car in the air tomorrow and try and wiggle the tire to see if that will tell me anything.

As of right now I feel kind of ripped off from the dealership and having a hard time making another appointment because I'm worried I"m going to end up paying more shop fees and trust them when they were wrong once already.

#11 ·
Ick, yes, the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I was worried that might be what they'd eventually try and do.

Eek. Bring your new rotor receipt, and when they do fix it if it is powertrain, see if you can get them to refund the $40. The warranty does cover labor supposedly right? Of course, if they admit its a powertrain warranty issue?

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble. So far no issues with bearings or squeal/noise but im only around 18K. Hopefully it is only a once in a while type of thing though it always sucks to have you be the one it happens to.

#12 ·
Well I jacked the car up and no movement of the wheel when wiggling it. Double checked nothing could be rubbing like heat shields or anything. Anyone have ideas on how to find out for sure if it's a bad bearing or what else it possible could be.

As of right now I am just going to drive it till the wheel falls off and then call them to come get it, just to make sure it's a wheel bearing and powertrain related. I'll keep the receipt for the rotors and the repair slip from the dealer telling me the problem was rotors. I fixed what they said the problem was.

I don't want to take it back and tell them it wasn't fixed and have them say it is something else non-powertrain related and end up paying more in shop costs just chasing problems.

They have cost me 150 bucks that didn't fix anything and wasn't required. This isn't the first time this dealer has screwed up. We always took the car to them for our oil changes, 2 oil changes ago we took it to them and as we were leaving the check engine light came on. Took it back and they said they had to look at it, took 45 minutes for them to tell us an O2 sensor was bad. Asked why an O2 sensor would go out right after an oil change and they said there was no way anything related to the oil change would cause an O2 sensor to go bad, said it was just a coincidence. I didn't really believe them and the next oil change I did, which is when I saw the oil filter almost directly above the O2 sensor and that if you reach for the filter from the bottom your hand could easily bump the sensor. I understand accidents happen and wouldn't have been upset if they would have admitted they did something like spill oil or bump the sensor to break it. I also wouldn't have been upset paying 40 bucks to them for looking at the car today if what they said was wrong would have fixed the problem.

Sorry for the long rant! Just a little frustrated right now, and then wonder why dealerships get a bad name. Time to relax a little since it's Friday. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

#13 ·
Well I jacked the car up and no movement of the wheel when wiggling it. Double checked nothing could be rubbing like heat shields or anything. Anyone have ideas on how to find out for sure if it's a bad bearing or what else it possible could be.

As of right now I am just going to drive it till the wheel falls off and then call them to come get it, just to make sure it's a wheel bearing and powertrain related. I'll keep the receipt for the rotors and the repair slip from the dealer telling me the problem was rotors. I fixed what they said the problem was.
You may want to double-check that. The powertrain warranty is just that, engine and transmission, and thus I doubt it covers the wheel bearings.

If I get this right, you had replaced the front brake pads but not touched the rotors. The tech may have suspected a botched brake job once he saw that. Who knows? Maybe the caliper is sticking because you forgot to clean and lube the guide pins. The next time you may want to take the service advisor along on a ride so he can hear/feel what you're concerned with.

#15 ·
I wasn't trying to argue the small details nor take sides but to present how I see it probably went down. I suppose it's really not my business what you do with your vehicle. However, I somehow feel responsible for this sordid affair. Just to set the records straight, the warranty you're referring to is the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper coverage http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.com/docs/manuals/chevrolet/2009_chevrolet_malibu_warranty.pdf. What I was referring to was the 5/100K powertrain warranty which obviously covers less (see http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/).

I actually think you may get better/quicker resolution if you took it to an independent shop. But, again, it's your car, it's your call. Good luck.

#16 ·
I'm not trying to start a debate either but my warranty book clearly states that wheel bearings are part of the powertrain warranty. The dealer also said if it was the wheel bearing it would be covered under the powertrain. Get your book out and read.

I agree that an independant shop would be the best choice but took it to the dealer for the warranty part.

#17 ·
@ scott37300
I sincerely hope you discover the problem and get it corrected. I'd hate to hear that the wheel actually fell off (I know that's just a figure of speech) and that something bad happened to you or the car, or worse, to someone else.

It would be nice to hear from you, hopefully soon, that you've found it, fixed it, and got reimbursed for the dealership's misdiagnosis. Pobody's nerfect, eh?

Whatever shop you go to, the independent one or that dealer 10 miles away, you'll be back at square one with them, but you'll be miles ahead because you'll already know some of what it isn't. I'm sure they'll appreciate seeing the new parts you installed in an honest attempt to cure the problem and that now you need their assistance.

Please post up what the fix is so we'll know you're finally done, and maybe to help the next guy that has this issue.

#18 ·
First I'm sorry if I came across arguementive in my last posts, wasn't my intention, just was a little frustrated yesterday.

I called the same dealer back this morning and made an appointment for Tuesday morning. I expressed my frustration and lack of trust and they said it would be no charge to look at it again. If it comes back as a wheel bearing which according to my warranty book and also confirmed by the dealer as being covered under the 5/100K powertrain warranty then I will discuse with them about the extra costs and work they made me go threw. I doubt they will reimburse me for the rotors which I guess I"m alright with because I should have turned/replaced them when I changed the pads, but I will expect them to refund the shop fees I paid the other day for the mis-diagnoses. If it comes back as something else I guess we'll go from there depending on what they say.

I will have them go for a test drive on Tuesday and see what they say. If nothing changes I will just keep driving it until the noise gets really bad. I just think it's funny how the dealership can charge 100+ an hour shop fees and I'm just throwing parts at it trying to fix it, I can do that myself and save the diagnostic fees! I understand everyone makes mistakes and also understand how the mechanic probably saw the new pads and lack of proper rotor service. But I would think they would have used a rotor/ball joint run out gauge to confirm, maybe they did but the new rotors didn't help. I"m not a mechanic so not sure how to positively confirm a wheel bearing unless its bad enough to be able to wiggle the tire, which from what I"ve read isn't until they are pretty bad.

I thought it was really high for 65 bucks to turn 2 rotors, it's been about 5 years since I had any rotors turned but last time it was something like 15 bucks a rotor from automotive machine shop. I know the dealer would be a little higher but 65 bucks to turn rotors is pretty crazy in my opinion.

Hopefully we figure something out Tuesday, I don't know what else it could be besides a wheel bearing unless a draggin caliper or something? I did take the brakes apart and clean everything and re lube them when I noticed the noise, just to be sure it wasn't something I did so wouldn't think the caliper would be dragging.

#19 ·
I have an '05 Malibu and am having the same problem. From what I've found online, this is unfortunately a fairly common problem in the earlier models ('04 - '06, I think). I took mine into the shop (not dealership) today and they said I need to replace the front driver's side wheel bearing hub. The previous customer had just replaced the same thing on his '06 Malibu, oddly enough! I've read several online forums that say the dealerships aren't terribly eager to take care of this problem, and often times diagnose it as a break issue - that's what they told me about 2 years ago when the noise first started. Mine has gotten so bad now that I'm afraid to drive the car, so it's time to pony up the cash and get it replaced. I was quoted $490 for parts and labor, but will have my boyfriend do it as the part is only about $100. If you or someone you know is competent enough with mechanics to do it, I would recommend going the same route. Hope you can get it straightened out with the dealership, though!

#20 ·
Thanks for posting that for us! That's a very nice bit of information, especially considering that it's your first post.

Since you're brand new here, Welcome! I hope you stick around and learn more good stuff about yours and share with us. We're all here to make our community of 'Bu owners wiser, stronger, and better-informed.

#21 ·
Candibars is right on. I have an '01 with less than 40K on it (bought it from an elderly man who didnt drive much) and had the wheel bearings/bearing hubs replaced twice. The first time the car seemed great. Drove nice and quiet for about 6k miles. Then the noise started to come back. With in another 1k it sounded like metal rubbing on metal and I didnt trust the car making it around town. You could feel the slight vibration in the steering while like dragging a screw driver across a rough surface. On top of that, the car was so loud with that rubbing noise nothing could drown it out. My mechanic who is very fair replaced them as the genuine GM parts were still under warrant. Now for a 3rd time I am having the same problem again. About another 6k after they were replaced. I am sure at this point its a design flaw and not an issue with the service performed on the car. I will post an update with what my mechanic says as I am sure he will have to call his parts supplier to work with them on a solution.

#22 ·
My 09 Has had the left wheel bearing replaced twice and the right side bearing once and now I have another one gone - It's going in next Saturday to get it fixed again - My first left one went at 35,000km and the right one went at 41,000km and then the left one the dealer replaced went after only 16,000km on it. I would assume the right one is gone again but dont know for sure just yet. After the 160,000km warranty is up the Malibu is going - There is no way a car should be on it's 3rd set of wheel bearings in 140,000km which is what is on the car now. It's too bad because I like the car but this is unacceptable.

wazy

#24 ·
Dude,
The post that you're "answering" is 4 years old...

#27 ·
I have this most annoying noise from what seems the rear bearings or wheels. I have a 2016 Malibu 1.5 L. No problem in the city but the noise can give anyone a headache on the highway. The best way I can describe it is an imaginary UFO hovering above the car, or again the whipping of a helicopter without the snaps from the sonic shockwaves. I am very disappointed and since I'm on the highway regularly I was about to purchase ear plugs. For the first time last week we had a couple with us and the noise seemed to be louder in that a conversation between the front and back seat was difficult. I will soon bring it to be checked but I am not assured they will admit there is a problem. I'll report later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.