Grinding noises when turning the wheel all the way to the right. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Grinding noises when turning the wheel all the way to the right.

Hey whatsupp guys i have a 2009 LT2 3.6 Malibu. i love it, its a great first car. its started to happen a few months ago before my partents gave me the car. as i didnt adress it it got worse. when i turn the wheel all the way to the right you hear a grinding crunching noise from pretty much the steering collum front wheels its kinda hard to explain but when it makes the noise the steering wheel fights me a basically jerks to the left its not impossible to turn but it becomes difficult. so in september i brought it in and they replaced the U-joint...didnt do a thing.....brought it in 2 days ago, i just got home from school and my parents suprised me with it...i got in...exactly the same..i forget the name but they replaced a "shaft" theres a word infront of shaft but idk what it is haha. i have a friend that has a sable and he said he had the same problem but it was the rack and pinion but the guys and chevy said that wasnt the case. if anyone has this same problem plleaasseeee pleasseeee pleaseeee help me

thanks alot, Frankie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	228.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	924  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Grinding noises when turning the wheel all the way to the right.

First off, welcome to the site.

Is there any way you would be able to record a video of the problem, it may make things easier. I would say to start check the fluid level for the power steering. Does it make any noises driving straight down the road? Was it the CV shaft or intermediate shaft that they replaced?

Another thing to possibly check is turn the wheel all the way one way or another and check to see if anything is rubbing against the tire or wheel.

09' Malibu LTZ with brick leather interior
4 cyl w/6 speed auto
Silver Ice Metallic paint

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

hey thanks and ill check the fluid tomorrow but i think they would have checked that, no noise driving straight, it only grinds to the right so idt anything rubs but ill check that to, it was the intermediate shaft , and i can deffinatly get a vid thats a good idea
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

They are just thoughts. I didn't realize you said turning to the right, low powersteering fluid would make noise both ways. An intermediate shaft would have caused a clunk noise, but I have never had one binding or making noises you described. I forgot to ask, does the car make the noise stopped with the wheel turned? The video will make things easier to help pinpoint the issue.

4 cyl w/6 speed auto

-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

stopped and while driving, i just took a video of it i just dont kno how to show you it
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping.in.malibu View Post
stopped and while driving, i just took a video of it i just dont kno how to show you it
Post it on YouTube and link it.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

uploading it as we speak haha
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

put your volume up all the way so you can really hear it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Garage

If you were moving I'd say it sounds like the shoulder of the tire catching on the plastic inner wheel well liner. But you speedo shows no movement!

The only time I get any kind of steering noise whatsoever is when I'm doing a power U-turn to avoid a 3-4 minute wait at the left turn. I go to the next intersection (depending on traffic) and do a legal U-turn. When I don't have to stop I can execute it at about 20 MPH. When I do the steering groans but I know it's only because I'm at idle and forcing it to work too hard. When I'm stopped at the same intersection I can turn the wheel fully left and get no sound. But the sound I get is not even close to as loud as that. I don't know if this has helped, but I certainly hope you find the cause and get it fixed!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Sounds like a shudder cause by the hydraulic power steering to me. The is a couple bulletins from GM to run a test on the power steering system and see what the pressures are. If they fall into a certain number there is a hydraulic pressure hose to replace. Also, it could be a hydraulic power steering pump issue. One other thing that may cause the problem is at some point the wrong power steering fluid may have been put in and contaminated the fluid in the system, which eventually leads to pump failure. Since it causes resistance turning it's most likely a pump issue or maybe a steering gear (rack and pinion) issue.

4 cyl w/6 speed auto

-20% tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.